What am I doing wrong here? (Updating Firmware via Ethernet)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
OK, I've got my HD-A1 hooked up to my network with a known good data drop. I've got the player set for DHCP, and my router shows a light indicating a connection. I go into setup, head to the menu where you run the update from, and press the SETUP button as instructed. The license agreement comes up as it should. It says to hit OK to begin the download, I hit OK, there is a brief pause, and immediately I'm back to the main setup menu of the player.....what gives?

I know I don't have the newest version, as the player told me so when I tried to switch to the TrueHD track on Batman Begins.

Nickrh

Grip
Real Name
Nick H
Same thing happend to me but in my case i couldn't see the buttons completly because of overscan, I tryed the left button and it did what you refer to then i tryed the other one and it worked but my connection wasn't working right at the time so i decided to just download the official firmware and burn it to disc. I feel that way is safer anyway cause if your internet connection or power was to drop out your player would be ruined until you send it into toshiba. If you need the firmware send me a pm and i can send you a link.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
When you look at the setup menu on a 480i (or -p) TV, there is some serious overscan when the licence agreement is displayed .

When you see the licence agreement (but not the fields below it) you still must make sure you go to "Accept" or whatever word there is, before you press OK. Perhaps you may see the very top of those fields after all, at the bottom of your page (as I did).
I just pressed the down-arrow to accomplish that (if my memory serves me well).

Cees

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I had a similar issue. I was able to see "OK" and "Cancel" partially, but didn't realize until later that the option defaults to Cancel; yellow highlights the selection. After that I still had issues - got a VUP Error 121 "Cannot find out server" a couple times - but tried again later and was able to complete the update.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Thanks for the replies. I ended up just downloading it off the web. Constantine and especially Batman Begins are absolutlely incredibly in TrueHD. Hearing the Superman theme in TrueHD in a few weeks is gonna make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I agree.

(And I haven't been able yet even to watch more than a part of it.)

Cees

Lee Harvey

Auditioning
I had to manually put in a DNS server IP address from my Comcast service to get the player to resolve the server that has the firmware image for download.

Nickrh

Grip
Real Name
Nick H
Speaking of Batman Begins, I was comparing the HD-DVD with the version they had on Comcast today and WOW what a diffrence, The comcast image is more soft with little detail while the HD-DVD version is razor sharp. I just didn't realize how big of a jump it was till i did a comparison.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beekeeper