What's new

What All Region DVD player has the best PAL>NTSC Frame Rate Conversion? (1 Viewer)

Moresby

Auditioning
I'm looking for a new All Region DVD Player that does better PAL>NTSC conversion, especially in the area of frame rate conversion, than the unit I currently use (Pioneer DV400-V).

I'm happy with the way this unit handles upconversion, color, and audio. But the frame rate conversion isn't great. It will go along fine for some minutes, but then the image stutters or jumps as it adds frames. Sometimes this its barely noticeable and you have to really look to see it. Other times it's very noticeable.

I've seen a lot of claims about flawless conversion. Do any players really offer this?

I've also seen some good stuff about the Oppo players which utilize Anchor Bay chipsets. Are they a good option?

My HDTV can't won't play PAL, and I'm not buying a new one for the foreseeable future, so players that convert are my only option at this time.

Moresby

Auditioning

Which Oppo do you have?

All I can seem to get from reviews is the 981HD does better PAL>NTSC conversion than the 980H, but reviews don't go into in what ways it's better.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oppo currently only offers the 980HD. I think there is little doubt their upcoming BluRay player will be at the top for upscaling SDVD and converting PAL>NTSC in every possible aspect, plus it plays BR.

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet

I have an Oppo 971H that I've been using for a number of years. Other DVD players I've used for PAL>NTSC include a Sampo, a Malata and a Cyberhome CH-500. The CH-500 is pre-HDMI but is a very good player. I still use it as a back up player on occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks