What's new

Directors What Actor Gave The Best Perfomance of All Time? (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Jason, I think you posted in the wrong thread accidentally.
Actually, given his list, it seems more likely that Jason has misused the word "wince."
wince - n. start or involuntary shrinking movement of the face, showing pain or distress.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
smile.gif

------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
George C.Scott as PATTON, absolutely brilliant.
Al Pacino as Michael Corleone.
Robert De Niro as Jake La Motta.
Arnie Schwarzenegger as Conan the Barbarian...
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of the women", a superb performance, why wasn't he nominated? To hell with you!
(Actually Arnie was good as the barbaric Conan, maybe not quite on a par with De Niro's Raging Bull, but in his own 'bloodthirsty hacking people to pieces' way he was quite effective)
smile.gif

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Another vote for George C. Scott in Patton.
Runner-ups include:
- Robert DeNiro in Raging Bull
- Al Pacino in the first two Godfather films
- Ellen Burstyn in Requiem for a Dream
- Orson Welles as Unicron in the cinematic classic that is Transformers: The Movie (Citzen Kane has no thunder against the pure genius that is Transformers: The Movie).
smile.gif

------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."
[Edited last by Matthew Chmiel on October 18, 2001 at 08:05 PM]

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Actually, given his list, it seems more likely that Jason has misused the word "wince."
Well first of all I should have included a smiley in my post (I'm going to go back and add one), and it does seem odd to trash Jack Lemmon, Marlon Brando, Peter Sellers and George C. Scott, but we're all entitled to our opinion, and these may indeed be considered bad actors by some.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Gary:
I second that Leonardo diCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape as well as add:
DiCaprio in THIS BOYS LIFE

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Re: Previous post. I was thinking of a different word. I didn't have my half pack of sugar rocks this morning, hence the confusion.
So, now they make me "happy."
smile.gif

Jay-Embarassed
------------------
Link Removed Link Removed
epi101_photo1.jpg

[email protected] 2001 Film List I Am Jack's DVD List
"Are we gonna let the elevator bring us down?
Oh no! Let's go...let's go crazy!" Prince, Purple Rain
My Own Film Review Website Is Coming Soon!

Armando H

Agent
Robert DeNiro in Raging Bull
Edward Norton in American History X
Leonardo DiCaprio in Basketball Diaries
Giovanni Ribisi in The Gift
Val Kilmer in The Doors
Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump
Al Pacino in Scarface

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see that Ellen Burstyn's performance in Requiem for a Dream has been mentioned. Perhaps a different poll should be done for What Actress Gave the Best Performance of All Time?!
[Edited last by Rob Tomlin on October 19, 2001 at 10:39 PM]

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Tom Hanks, Forrest Gump
Russell Crowe, The Insider
Dustin Hoffman, Rainman
Sir Anthony Hopkins, Silence of the Lambs
Ed Norton, American History X
George C. Scott, Patton
------------------
rock_band.gif
"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"
[Edited last by Kevin Potts on October 20, 2001 at 12:58 AM]

Eric Scott

Second Unit
but in his own 'bloodthirsty hacking people to pieces' way he was quite effective)
You have a lot of support here in (Bellevue) lockdown from the guys muzzled in straitjackets. When they heard that, their eyes popped wide open for first time in weeks and they gave Arnie a tremendous bellowing of Ummm! Ummm! Ummm Ummm!! (They were immediately administered a double dose of Thorazine.)
I agree with Patton, but when I mentioned George C. Scott to them their eyes slid side to side, as if they were puzzled!
"...Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
[Edited last by Eric Scott on October 20, 2001 at 11:12 PM]

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Eric, Arnie is extremely underrated, have you seen 'Batman & Robin'? He was brilliant as Mr.Freeze, the oneliners and the way he delivers them, "cool it", "be cool", "a freeze is coming", "ice to see you", "icecream! get your tootsie frootsie icecream!" and so on, pure genius!
I'm sure some country awarded him 'best actor' for that movie, maybe Iceland gave him something.
Ok gotta stop typing, my legs are getting cramp....
crazy.gif

[Edited last by Steve Christou on October 20, 2001 at 05:42 PM]

Eric Scott

Second Unit
some country awarded him 'best actor' for that movie, maybe Iceland
Austria, they give him an award every year! I’ll have to see Batman again to refresh my memory.
crazy.gif

---------------------
In my view a great performance is when an actor makes the character more believable than probably any other actor could. In the movie of Patton Scott may have been more convincing as Patton than Patton himself was in WWII. Of course, credit goes to a great fact based script, direction and the stature of the real life crusader. For example, can you see Robert Redford as Patton? Had Redford been able perform as memorably (doubtful) then Redford’s performance would be considered even greater than Scott’s.
Schwarzenegger’s great talent lies in his ability to entertain, (beginning with showing audiences his muscles) then transforming his stage persona to movies. Like Scott could never be Conan, Arnold could never be Patton. Hand Schwarzenegger some good oneliners, a weapon and some bad guys and he knows how to get the job done, but I think there is an ingredient a fine actor has that Arnold does not.
[Edited last by Eric Scott on October 20, 2001 at 09:00 PM]

David Dennison

Second Unit
Dustin Hoffman in Rainman always seems to make it to the top of my list.
I love Frances McDormand in Fargo.
Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird.
Since I just got finished watching Godfather I and II, I'll vote for Brando and Deniro. I love Pacino, but I think he is the runner up in both films.
Those are just a few that come to mind.

Scott A.

Agent
For me it always comes back to John Hustons portrayal of Noah Cross in Chinatown. You just wont see many performances that convincing.
S.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Had Jack Lemmon never turned in a good performance before or after THE CHINA SYNDROME, I'd consider him a great actor. I think one must judge performances based upon how much a viewer is moved by them. Lemmon as the nuclear power plant supervisor with a conscience just did remarkably well portraying an everyman in the face of tremendous danger. His monumental, one-man effort to warn the public on camera at the climax while suffering from fear, exhaustion and mortal determination had me to the point of tears, and the suspense derived from these fifteen minutes is almost unbearable.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Not to diminish Scott's role in Patton, but his 'they might be giants' performance was incredible.....
Malcom McDowell as Alex in a Clockwork Orange
Slim Pickens as Major Kong in Dr StrangeLove
Peter Sellers as Chauncy Gardener
John Clesse as Mr Fawlty
John Astin as Gomez Addams
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Chris Richard

Auditioning
There are so many great performances over the years - it's hard to narrow down.
I was glad to see two references to Leonardo DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape? It's the best acting I've ever seen by a teenager.
Gilbert Grape comes to DVD on 11/27.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
George C. Scott did everything right about Patton except for one thing: his voice. As documentaries and interviews would point out, Patton had an extremely high-pitched battle command voice that sent shivers down your spine. George C. Scott came off sounding like a gruff Eric Cartmen. Not to say that's a bad thing, I'm just saying that George C. Scott's voice wasn't close to the real thing. It's a sad thing that the original tapes and the reanactment of the famous speech to the Third Army are both gone.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks