What's new

What action set piece are you tired of? (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
-The one punch knockout
That's actually realistic. One good clock in a guy's face will put him out. The one action thing that annoys me is the opposite- dragged out fist fights where people get hit really hard repeatedly yet somehow come away with a few bruises but act as if nothing happened.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Mike, then you probably wouldn't like They Live, which has THE best dragged-out fist-fight scene ever on film (IMHO, of course :)).

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Never seen that one, Dana.
It's not like it really bothers me that much. I'm willing to suspend disbelief enought to enjoy, it's just one that hasn't been mentioned in the thread.

Oh, here's another one- hanging off of a cliff or a some other high place with the villain stepping on the guy's hand and otherwise torturing and mockign the hero.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I get sick of the good guy having to outrun something, a fireball, and always BARELY makes it at the last instant. I really enjoyed The Mummy Returns, but it just got so irritating where the kid says, "I gotta get to the pyramid before the sun hits it or I die." Suddenly, the sun rises coincidentally and they must outrun the line of sunlight, and just barely make it. I just get sick of it.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:
This thread is hilarious!
I hate the girlfriend/lover/female partner hostage situations at the end.
--
Holadem

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The 'talking killer' scenario, most notably:

"Now that I have you in my clutches, Mr. Bond, inches away from certain death, I shall temporaily shut off the death ray to explain to you my entire plan for world destruction, and perhaps even give away the one way you can stop me!"

-j

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I hate it when the good guy/gal gets killed and then by some stupid miracle comes back to life.

Any action movie made by John Woo gets a thumbs down for drawn-out totally unrealistic action sequences.

Derek Bang

Stunt Coordinator
What irks me is when someone shoots a pistol with one hand and does that up-and-down motion with his wrist to accent the fact that he is shooting. No one really shoots a pistol like that, much less do they ever shoot with one hand with ANY accuracy. I remember a DVD extra about that (maybe the Rock Criterion) that summed up my complaint nicely.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I agree with just about every post here so far! :laugh:
I've often thought about the problem filmmakers face when they decide to do an action movie, I mean they just CAN'T kill the hero, the audience would hate the movie if they did that. But on the other hand, how do they kill off the bad guy in a new way we've never seen before? The answer is they can't do it any other way. The hero HAS to win, and the villian HAS to die, theirs nothing they can do about it.
Filmmakers really paint themselves into a corner when doing an action film, the rules to making action films are clear and immovable, said filmmaker must follow them.
What I hate is when you see a making of documentary for some new action film, and the director, let's use John Woo as an example, goes on about how sylistic and different he's making the action scene's, and then when you finally see the movie, it's the same slow mo stuff we've all seen a million times before!
What's so stylized and different about it? Nothing.

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
Slightly OT, but in the same direction.
How about those Vampire movies where the hero/s always leave to try and kill the vampire about 30 minutes before sunset? Oooops! :eek:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Speaking of Vampire movie cliche's, it's always bothered me that the hero's always use stakes and crosses in these movies when a 'Super-Soaker' filled with holy water would be the ultimate weapon! It would be like an uzi to those sons a bitches!

I applaud Joel Shumacher for figuring that out when he did 'The Lost Boys'.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Someone falling off a building/cliff/hot air balloon and catching themselves by the fingertips on a ledge/branch/ windowsill.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Dana, They Live is the SECOND best dragged-out fist fight scene. Number one would have to go to Crossing the Line starring Liam Neeson. Not a very well known movie but that fight scene is crazy. It's also featured on the Flixmix Ultimate Fights DVD.

Rollo Lee

Agent
I could do without the "fight/shootout in an industrial factory" scene. However, I have to say that The One featured an amazing fight in just such a setting, so the cliche can definitely be overcome!

Frankly, I feel the big budget action movie is on the wane, especially the R-rated gun crazy / car chase / more guns type of action movie. I welcome the cliche'd situations if it will mean more action films. Action flicks these days are too preoccupied with their highly involved yet entirely mundane plots. Like Swordfish and Gone in 60 Seconds. There is so much plot/dialogue in those films and for what? Did they really think that's what people came for? Hopefully the Matrix sequels will ramp up the action levels again.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'd have to say cutting the wires or defusing the bomb with less than a second on the timer and saving the world.

John Woo Films because they harbor all these things.

Action movies are unrealistic (which is fine), but his movies are the worst. I hate when someone is running and firing two handguns (and pushing their hands back and forth) at the same time, while jumping through the air, flipping, and killing 10 people (Face off). Unless your Neo, it just is not gonna happen. Hitting something with one handgun is hard enough, let alone jupming from moving cars with two.

Oh and any scene involving ruining jumping from a motorcycle and colliding with someone, and not getting hurt.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I hate the girlfriend/lover/female partner hostage situations at the end.
Yup, typical situation has the bad guy in back of the girlfriend, with one arm around her neck and the other pressing a gun into the side of her head. Our hero lowers his gun and then the gal makes some feeble elbow jab that allows her to break free so our hero can pump the bad guy full of lead. Just once I would like to see some dame get her mellon blasted off trying that shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks