What's new

What accessories should I buy for this HT setup? (1 Viewer)

Rohini

Grip
I am planning to buy:

DENON AVR 1802 receiver

PARADIGM Titans (fronts), Atoms (rears), CC 170 (Center) and PDR 10 (sub)

And already have:

PANASONIC DVD-RP56 Progressive Scan DVD player

PHILIPS Magnavox VCR and

PHILIPS Magnavox 25' TV (I don't think this works with Home Theater. I may need to buy a new TV too!)

I would like to know what else (all the accessories including cables, wall mounts, surge protectors) I should buy. Since I am being new to HT, it would be more helpful if you could suggest me the all the accessories with full specification (brands, models, size, type, where to buy, etc.).

My TV has one set of A/V inputs and currently I have connected my DVD player to it. But it does not have any outputs. Does this TV work with HT?

Thanks.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
As long as your TV has one RCA type video input, it'll do fine for HT.

You can run all your video sources into the receiver and connect the TV to the receivers monitor out.

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
You will need an audio out of some kind on your TV if you want to watch TV in surround, but you should be able to get by with that TV like Mike said...just run everything to the receiver first. I would say, however, that after you make those purchases, you will soon want to upgrade your TV.

For cables...some will argue that Monster is better than Acoustic Research, but others say there is very little difference between Monster, AR, and Radio Shack Gold series cables. You have to decide for yourself if it is worth the $$ to you. AR is the cheapest, then Radio Shack Gold, then Monster has 4 different levels of cable, from about the same price as Radio Shack Gold all the way up to very expensive ($20/ft+). You can buy Monster and AR at Best Buy.

You will need speaker wire. I am using Monster speaker wire that I bought at Best Buy. It has a little "14" printed on the wire but I'm not sure if it is 14 gauge or not. Most people around here recommend 12 gauge Monster speaker wire from Home Depot. I think it runs $0.50 per foot and I would do that if I did it over again. I needed 75 feet to connect 2 mains, a center, and 2 surrounds in my small living room. You may need more or less.

You will need a sub cable to run from your receiver to your sub. Also, you'll need a digital connection to run from your DVD to your Receiver. Your choices here are digital coax or optical toslink. The optical is fragile and more costly. Different people have differring opinions on which is better. I went with the coax.

I assume you already have your existing components connected with RCA cables. For the best possible connection, you will want component cables. Your current TV won't accept component cables, so you will have to use RCA for now.

If you decide to buy a new TV, in order to use the progressive scan mode on your DVD player it will need to be HDTV ready. Any HDTV will most likely have multiple component inputs, allowing you to go directly from your DVD and VCR to your TV if you choose to do so, bypassing your receiver. If you go through the receiver it is easier to switch from TV to DVD to VCR though. A new TV will also likely have an audio out, so you can use a pair of audio cables to go from your TV to your receiver so that you can watch TV in surround sound.

Wall mounts? If you need them, buy them. Your Paradigm dealer should be able to set you up with mounts for your Atoms if you need them. I paid $25 for mounts for my rears.

You will have to buy your Paradigms at your authorized local dealer. They don't allow them to be sold online and they are hard to find on ebay.

Finally, the Receiver and speakers you are planning on buying are great choices. However, most people will advise you to choose another sub. It isn't important for your sub to match your other speakers brand, so get the best sub you can afford in the price range. I see the HSU-VTF2 praised alot around here. You can get it for around $400 i think. I have been satisfied with the Sony SA-WM40. It is praised often for its performance when you consider it only costs $160 or so at Best Buy. The HSU is a better performer however I'm sure. For some reason the low-end Paradigm subs aren't really considered top performers in their price range.

Well that is a lot of confusing info, but I hope it helps some. Use the search function here and read a lot. And have fun!

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
You should also shell another 30 bones for a SPL meter right now since the Radio Shack SPL meter is on sale this week. Another 18 bones for the Sound @ Vision calibration DVD to get you started.

Sean

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Go to Radio Shack and buy a set of their dual-banana plugs (xxx-308) and take them to the dealer to see if they fit the binding posts on the speakers. If so, go back and buy 4 more. These little things make it easy to wire things up.

For behind the receiver, the single bananas (xxx-306) do a good job. (But make sure that receiver accepts binding posts).

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
since you're still at radio shack, you may as well pick up some wiring loom and reusable zip-ties so you can organize that soon-to-be jumble of wires!

try to keep your electrical wires together, your speaker wires together, and your signal wires together.

how about a universal remote? you can get decent ones for about 40 to 60 bucks...mine (mx-500) was about 140.

Rohini

Grip
Thanks for all those valuable inputs. I'll upgrade my TV in next 6 months to some kind of High Definition. Got enough information on cables, wires, banana plugs and wall-mounts. But still I need the following clarifications:

- What is that 'SPL Meter' and what should I do with that? (Sorry for this silly question!)

- What are 'wiring loom' and 'reusable zip-ties'?. Are they used to clip wires/cables to the wall or floor?

- Does one universal remote control my TV, VCR, DVD player and receiver? Any specific brand or model I have to look for?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
spl meter: used to calibrate your speakers. it measures the amount of sound coming out of each speaker. that way, you can ensure you're getting "even" sound from all of the speakers. the radio shack analog spl is very popular.
here's a really good thread on using a spl along with a calibration dvd.
wiring loom / zip ties: wiring loom is this round, flexible, plastic/rubber tubing you can use to wrap around a bunch of cables. it just helps organize and neaten everything.
universal remote: yep...you can get one remote that can replace all your others. my home theater master mx-500 replaced eight of my other remotes without a hitch!
:)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The One For All 7 universal remote is about $20 at Longs. This thing has macro keys and will learn from your existing remotes. An outstanding value for the money.
Note: There is a separate "Accessories & Connections" fourm if you want more focused posts. :)

Rohini

Grip
I bought an anolog SPL meter from RadiShack yesterday for $29.99. It is still on sale. I have to start shoping the rest this weekend.

And again... thanks a lot for all your inputs!

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I can throw a couple pennies into to this discussion.
For speaker wire, I would check http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=2792&DID=7
For banana plugs I would also recommend http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=2462&DID=7
If you are getting the Denon 1802 I don't think dual bananas will fit the receiver. I have the 1602 and dual plugs do not fit the receiver. Dont waste your money on those.
By the way, Parts express is an excellent company with excellent customer service. Have purchased many an item there :D
For the remote: I have the new radio shack model http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2104
Aside from a few advanced features on my receiver this remote does it all. I could find the codes and program them in, but just havent bothered to do so. Very sharp looking, & functional for 30 bucks. I think I found it on sale normally sells for 40. And its backlit, a MUST have in my book.
Of course everyone has already mentioned the RS SPL meter, another must have.
And another :emoji_thumbsup: vote for the Sony SA-WM40.
You mentioned a surge protector. Since I know nothing about them I just bought that was on sale at the time. http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...668&showcase=t
Seems to have a higher Joule rating then most in this price range.
It also offers built-in Gold-plated coaxial "F" connectors for protection of home theater equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks