what about Yamaha DVD players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve & Karen, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

One see lots of discussion about Yamaha AV Receivers, but not much about the DVDs... DVD-CX1 DVD-C920 & DVD-S1200.

I was wondering in particular how they might compare to similar priced Toshiba... e.g., Toshiba 5700 vs. Yamaha S1200, and Toshiba 3755/3805 vs Yamaha 920?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I have Yamaha’s second-generation player, the DVD-S700, and it has worked fine the past couple of years. Audio magazine considered it to be a near-reference unit at the time.

I doubt you’ll have any problems with a Yamaha player. The only thing is, Yamaha tends to contract out their players to other manufacturers, who build them to Yamaha’s specs. (The unit I have was built by Panasonic, and was probably better than anything Panasonic was offering at the time.) But that means Yamaha’s players are usually more expensive than comparable players from other manufacturers – because you have two companies that need to make a profit off each unit. That's one reason you don't see a lot of them.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Yamaha players are usually overpriced clones of other manufacturers' players. The DVD-S1200 is a clone of the Panasonic RP-91, I believe. My first player was a Yamaha DVD1000, which was basically a Panasonic DVD-A300.

Their upcoming DVD-S2300 looks interesting, but if it's another clone buying the player its based on would be a much better (cheaper) plan.

Adam

4. Steve & Karen

thanks... so in general where does one find out about which is a clone of what?

I wonder what the Yam DVD-D920 is a clone of?

-Steve

5. Steve & Karen

thanks... so in general where does one find out about which is a clone of what?

I wonder what the Yam DVD-D920 is a clone of?

-Steve

6. Adam Barratt

Adam
    In the past it was fairly easy to tell what model/manufacturer a player was based on by looking at the features, remote control, back panel or onscreen display system. It's not always so easy now, and even opening the player up doesn't always help.

If you're lucky, someone will see a connection and uncover who built a particular player. The manufacturers are absolutely no help when it comes to this information, and don't want to discuss the practice full stop.

The 920 is a new player, so it may take some time to discover who makes it. It may even be an in-house design.

Adam

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Adam,

It’s a bit disingenuous to dismiss them as “clones,” since Yamaha usually (if not always) has them built to their own specs. The DVD-S700, for instance, had enhanced video circuitry and was superior to its Panasonic twin. The audio circuitry was tweaked as well; Audio said the DVD-S700’s sound quality approached that of high-end CD players.

Steve,

Since it appears that Yamaha is still sourcing their players from Panasonic, that’s a good place to check. You might compare chassis measurements. If each Panasonic or Yamaha model has a specific remote, that would be the best indicator; they will be identical except for the name on them.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. Adam Barratt

Adam

9. ChrisR

ChrisR Stunt Coordinator

Holy crap!! I thought I was the only HTF member that bought a yamaha dvd-1000. Only difference is I'm still using it. Although I'm getting a new one shortly.

10. Steve & Karen

Still interested if anybody knows anything about the Yammie DVD-920 changer model?

11. Jeff Leeds

Jeff Leeds Stunt Coordinator

I bought an S700 three years ago and it is still running flawlessly in my bedroom theater. I think that the two Tosh progressive scan players (5109 & 6200) do have a better picture but I still like some of the features of the Yamaha. This deck was certainly built by Panasonic, but most of the Panny's from that era are toast now, remember all the problems that people had with those units over the years. I think that they are certainly superior, but you do pay a premium. I got mine as a good deal when I bought my receiver, but I'll bet if I'd bought the panny it be gone by now.

12. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Yamaha's 510 and 520 were made by Philips

13. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I notice the DVD-C900 was pretty much universally panned at audioreview.com. However, one reviewer said that placing at the top of the rack and well ventilated solved all the problems he was having with it.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

14. Dan_R_M

Dan_R_M Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone answer this yet? What is the yamaha 920 a rebadge of? Panny CP72 with better audio capabilities?

15. AnthonyJS

AnthonyJS Agent

The Yamaha DVD-C920 (and it's Yamaha clone, the DV-C6480) are changer versions of the Panasonic RP-56. They utilize a MUCH better built chasis, offer DVD-Audio, and have a full one-year warranty (versus 90 days labor on the Pannys). Since it is based on last year's Panasonic, there is no time-remaining feature, only one "auto" mode for de-interlacing options, and more importantly, the CCS setting on the Sage/Faroudja chip is set to ON. This means that the flicker bug (check the Tinker Toy box lid in Toy Story Chapter 4) is present! Rumor has it that the CCS fix for the Denon DVD-1600 (since it too is also based on the Panasonic RP56) also works on the Yamahas.

16. Dan_R_M

Finally! Thanks alot for the info, i haven't been able to find anything on this player until now. Sooo, maybe I am better off going with the panny cp72 after all. My reasoning for getting the yamaha would be better build quality, better audio, and matches my yamaha receiver. Maybe I'll just have to get a separate cd player for my audio needs if I go with the cp72. Any suggestions? Thanks again!

17. Dan_R_M

Are you positive that the yamaha has the flicker bug? That is not the chroma bug is it? Thanks?