What about Ultimate TV???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Wolverton, May 10, 2001.

1. Mark Wolverton

Mark Wolverton Stunt Coordinator

I went out looking at PDR's this past weekend. I looked mostly at stuff for DirecTV as I have a dish. My buddy bought Replay. He likes it because he doesn't have to subscribe to a service and there seems to be a lot of talk regarding home upgrades of the hard drive.
    The main feature of Tivo that is attractive to me is the season pass. Being able to select a program and have it recorded no matter what time etc. I don't much care for the service fee but I do like the $200 lifetime option. If they last that long.
    What I like best so far about Ultimate TV is the two sattlelite tunners built in. With a dual LND dish you can record two different programs at the same time or watch one while recording another. They also charge a fee but from what I was told, Ultimate TV does not have a feature simular to Tivo's season pass. I don't understand this. This should be a standard feature I would think.
    I'm still trying to figure out which system to buy. I think I'm just about sold on Ultimate TV unless somebody has some real bad information I should know about, or if one of the others has some super features I'm missing. I would appreciate any help anybody is willing to offer.
    ------------------
    Mark W
    "I like to watch."
    Chauncy Gardner - Being There -

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Remember that with Ultimate TV (and DirecTiVo), you can't record anything that ISN'T on the dish (ie. local TV stations (unless you're subscribing to them via DirecTV))...
    Since I can't get locals on the dish where I live, Ultimate TV and DirecTiVo are no-go's for me and I have to use a standalone TiVo...
    ------------------
    "It's finger Ling-Ling good!"

3. Mark Wolverton

Mark Wolverton Stunt Coordinator

I'm lucky because I get the locals on my dish. The big bummer is that I don't get UPN on the dish and that is a bummer. Now that Voyager is going off it won't be so bad but I wish I could get UPN!
    ------------------
    Mark W
    "I like to watch."
    Chauncy Gardner - Being There -

4. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

1) DirecTiVo has two tuners in hardware, but the software is due 'this summer' (Think Sep 19). It will record one and watch another or record two. No PIP though.
    2) DirecTiVo's season passes are much more powerful than UTV's scheduled recordings and catch things whenever they are on. But you have to keep an eye out for conflicting shows when things move around (much easier w/two tuners).
    In general TiVo is the more powerful of the two, but UTV is simpler to use.
    3) For and extra $250 there is no monthly fee on the DTiVo.
    4) UTV has WebTV for internet access.
    5) Both use the new DirecTV APG and have problems with setting up recordings in advance for special events like MLB EI and NFL Sunday Ticket. Hopefully this will be ironed out soon.
    6) By law the UPN station could be on air by 1/1/2 if they elect Must Carry. Sooner (or later) if they make DirecTV negoitiate.