What about this setup? Opinions please...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ryan*C, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Ryan*C

Ryan*C Auditioning

Ok guys, I'm going to get this setup... what are your opinions on this?

I plan on buying a 7.1 Athena home theater system linked to the Yamaha 5790 (I get it for around $500 at Best Buy). As far as the Athena's go, I get a KILLER discount because I work at Best Buy, and so I'm getting the two F2's (largest floor-standing), four B2's (largest bookshelf), and one C1 (center), and a P-400 (subwoofer) all for under $700, brand new, and including shipping, hehehe. Anyways, what is your opinion on both the Athena speakers, and the Yamaha 5790 reciever for my first home theater package (I'm 19, and still with parents). I'm planning to hook this with a 50" Samsung DLP digital t.v. linked with my computer as the monitor and my reciever playing my MP3 tunes... what is your guys' opinions... ???

The main reason for all of this is because I would buy most of it when I move out, but now I'm saving a TON of money... probably about $2000 easy in savings. Opinions are appreciated though, thanks!

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Yes, but you're the one who has to live with the fact that you work for Best Buy. [​IMG]

I think the combination that you are picking out is very good. It should provide you with great sounds for both music and movies.

3. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

For the price, it sounds like a great setup. Personally, I am not a great fan of Yamaha receivers. I would prefer something warmer like H/K. Another thing too, you mention that the speakers you're getting are all the "biggest" in its class. Granted that I haven't heard them myself but the "biggest" doesn't usually mean the best. And the reason being is that the speakers and equipment has to work with your room acoustics. And since you're still living at home, I just think something smaller might be easier to accomondate any changes in your life in the future.

4. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

That's one of the nice things about working in A/V (Audioshop in Ottawa). I got into it almost twenty years ago simply so I could feed my addiction on the cheap [​IMG]

5. John Tami

John Tami Stunt Coordinator

Have you checked out the JBL Northridge series? I listened to those, the Athena's, and the Klipsch at a local BB....all with ~ 6" Mid driver size (large bookshelf) and matched with a Sub (don't know what BB was using to drive them though) and at high volume music and movie tracks I much prefered the JBL's. (so I then went out and got the S26II's/S36II's from the JBL/HK Ebay site...$1500 worth for $400. [​IMG] Then added the SVS..but thats another story!)

But JBL's with Yamaha could be "brighter" then you like...you have to listen. Pioneer's are warmer and a good match. I don't know the top one they sell these days. I'm waiting on a new model (VSK-1014D) due this August.....I figure it will be around $500 online ($700 msrp)

6. Ryan*C

Ryan*C Auditioning

Yes, I know there are better speakers, and that's not the issue. The issue is I only want to know for the price (which is a pretty, ok, REALLY good deal), should I be happy for my first system (sorry didn't try to sound rude...).

How long should these speakers physically last, and how do you take care of them? I heard about a break-in period that consists of letting them play music for like a day straight at semi-low volume, is this true and what does this do? Anything you guys could tell me would be of great help. And also, what's this about Yamaha and not being "soft" or "bright," what does that mean? I'm a new audiophile, so please explain in Lamen's terms. Although I'm a tech addict, so all the info you could spit, I will suck. Wow, nevermind... but advice appreciated anyhow... thanks!

And once again, I didn't try and sound snobby, but see my position as it is... killer deal when I couldn't even buy those if they didn't have this discount. It would be like home theater in a box kinda thing... so it is a good deal.

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

John, Being Best buy, they were using a Yamaha receiver to drive the demo speakers. So, essentially, what you were hearing was music and sounds being about as bright as it could be. Also, the receivers they use are a few years old (older Yamaha models) which can tend to be a bit brighter than the newer models of Yamaha receivers.

According to a few reviews that I've read, the newer models are less bright and slightly-closer to neutral.

I wasn't a fan of Yamaha receivers in the past. I had purchased them, but quickly returned them. A few weeks back, I put a new Yamaha receiver on my shelf and have not looked back. Very good value - and very good sound, too.

As far as Athena speakers go, I feel that they are a very good bargain - priced at a point much lower than what they are actually worth. For me, these were some of the best sounding speakers (F2 model) that Best Buy sold. But again, it's just my preference - others might perceive sound differently.

In regards to the JBL speakers, I've tried *so hard* to listen to them quite a bit to determine if they were the right speakers for me. Again, it was my determination that they would not be the speaker for me. I've listened to the E60, E80 and E90 models on more than one occasion. I guess the only thing that would either confirm or deny my feelings with their sound would be to get them into my home and play them in my environment. I guess I'm just not too thrilled about purchasing 120 Lbs. of speakers (2 floor-standing, 1 center channel) and then later returning them if they don't sound right in my environment.

Signing out, for now ...

8. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The Athenas are respected speakers for their price (MSRP), and they present an even greater value at BB discount prices. There are reviews from Absolute Sound (I think that's what it called) and Stereophile it might be worth reading.

And the Athenas come from Audio Products International (API) here in Toronto, makers of the well respected Energy and Mirage lines. Solid built speakers, 5 year warranty from them...can't really go wrong IMHO. I

9. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

What do you think about the system? Or, more importantly how does it sound to you? This is what you need to ask yourself.