What's new

What about the Benq PE5120? (1 Viewer)

DanielJW

Grip
I was just wondering what all of your thoughts were on this projector versus the 4805 and, more particularly, the Optoma H31. It seems like the BenqPE5120 doesn't get nearly as much attention as the others, yet has many of the same features and even some advantages over the other two (DVI connection that doesn't need an adapter). Plus, it's nearly $300 cheaper than the 4805.

I realize that the 4805 has many more options for being adjusted, but to be honest, I'm not really going to be fiddling with the picture that much, and a plethora of options would confuse me, if anything. Also, the Benq is apparently quieter, according to ProjectorCentral's review, in addition to having a 3 year warranty.

Also, it seems to be more suited for my room. I'm only capable of throwing about a 10-12 image, and I read that this projector throws shorter, compared to the H31 and the 4805. Basically, I want a budget widescreen projector with decent lumens and contrast. Light and darkness has never really been an issue in my living space.

So, is this projector worth a look or not?

Thanks,

Dan

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I've wondered myself why the PE5120 doesn't get more love. The price seems to be great and it's a MUCH shorter throw projector which seems to be a plus to me. You can sit it on a coffee table instead of having to ceiling or stand mount above/behind you as well as lose less brightness due to distance. I was considering replacing my Panasonic L300U w/ a PE5120 but the L300U has an even slightly shorter throw and i'm using every bit of zoom i have already, so the PE5120 just barely won't work for the screen size and projector location i have. Either way, $1k for this projector seems to be a very good deal.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I think the big difference between the Benq and the 4805/H31 is the color wheel. The Benq has a yellow segment and is only 2x speed. The yellow segment really is not a huge deal unless you are a videophile. Some people do not like it because it is there to really just brighten the picture and supposedly it takes away from the blacks and color quality. The 2x spped thing is a huge deal to some people because a lot of people are affected by 2x speed wheel when it comes to rainbows. The 4805/H31 has a rgbrgb color wheel.....which makes it 4x speed. People really have to look for rainbows with these units and the color and blacks are "better". I think another thing that separates the units is the Froudja deinterlacer in the 4805......in this class it is the best...hands down. The H31 also has a great deinterlacer.....Benq unfortunately alway seems to skimp with the deinterlacer in this price class.
If I were you, why not give the Benq a shot. They make a great projector and have a good waranty. Buy form a place with a return policy where you don't get nailed with a large restocking fee. I am sure it is a wonderful projector.....especially for the money.

DanielJW

Grip
Ah, thank you so much, Evan. That was the kind of information I was looking for. Hmm, I think you're right, I'll probably see about trying the Benq, and if I like it, Ill keep it. I don't have any comparison really-- I haven't ever used an Infocus or an Optoma, so this will be my first unit ever!

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
If you aren't bothered by rainbows, I think the BenQ 5120 is great. 3 year parts and labor warranty too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks