What about Music OSR ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Re: Original Soundfield Ratio.

With all the backlash with OAR for DVD Video, does'nt the purist mind DVD Audio going back and fiddling with prior releases? Sure new recordings might be fine, but to go back to older Foriegner and Doobie Brothers records and remix them so they fit in 5.1. itjust doesn't seem right to me.

I'm no Audiophile I'd be interested in others opinions.

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Most home theater buffs are a lot more interested in the visual aspect than the audio.

I also don't see the why we need music in 5.1. We have two ears- stereo is perfect. Surround music is cool for live stuff, so that you can get crowd noise in the rear speakers and the singer's stage banter in the center speaker. I have a couple of DVD concerts that are mixed in 5.1 for this reason.

Quite frankly, I do think that video is sort of considered more "sacred" than audio for home theater.

I'm not against 5.1 remixes or anything like that. But it is altering the original presentation of the music. The problem is, there is often no true "original" presentation. Records sound different than CDs, and there are different CD mixes and remixes for the same album- initial release, digital remastering, 20 bit mastering, gold discs, silver discs, etc. I guess people just see 5.1 mixes as another one of these. I dunno, it just seems like that's going too far in messing with the music.

3. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

Well - the truth of the matter is the actual TRUE recording, the master tape's master, (for want of a better term), is a 16 track recording studio tape. These 16 tracks were combined down to the 2 tracks we know as stereo.

Personally, I am not familiar with the surround mixes on DVD-A of the Foreigner and The Doobie Brothers, but at one point, both of those albums were available in Quadrophonic sound. I DO have the Alice Cooper "Billion Dollar Babies" DVD-A, and it sounds like a duplicate of the old quad mix, with the center channel derived from the common sounds of the 2 front channels, and the sub being derived from crossovers. If the Foreigner and Doobie discs are the same (I plan to get the Doobie disc this weekend, the only copy of this album I EVER owned was the quad release), then they are really only making these mixes available again after a long absence from the shelves.

Any modern album released in surround (Bjork for example), is just an alternate mix being made available. In the 50's and 60's music was released with independent (ie - diferent) mono and stereo mixes. Releasing a 5.1 and 2.0 stereo mix simultaneously is similar. Buy the one you like, or buy the one made for your equipment.

Now, in the case of Queen's "A Night at the Opera", this is the first time a surround mix has been made available. This is a case where a deliberate independent mix was made. Since this is currently only available as test/reveiw copies, the jury is still out. However - since all of these discs also contain high resolution versions of the original stereo mixes - what's the complaint?

4. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I kind of like it myself. However, before condemning it like a full screen pan & scan alteration, know that most of these discs (DVD-A & SCAD) also have higher resolution stereo mixes as well.

I've got a couple dozen of em' and the only one that raises my eyebrow is the Doobie Brothers DVD-A, because its a flipper.

To those that condemn the video portion of the DVD-A, I love to read the lyrics and realize the guy was saying (singing) something different from what I originally thought.

5. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Almost all of the DVD-A's out there do include a high resolution stereo track. It is the higher quality track of the 2 or 3 offered on each disc.

I prefer the high rsolution stereo tracks as they offer higher sound quality and more often than not the mix is much better than the 5.1 mix. The 5.1 mixes (to me) have been to experimental so far. They just don't have it down yet. It reminds me of when programmable keyboards came out and bands found a place to put their favorte sound effect in despite what it did to the music. There have been a few exceptions such as the Corrs release that has a pretty impressive 5.1 mix.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Hmm, I didn't even realise stereo mixes were included on DVD-A discs. Regrettably, I don't have the equipment to play it. All arguments aside, I'd probably get a bunch of DVD-A discs if I had a player that could handle it.

A bit off-topic, but do you guys hear a difference between 20-bit CDs vs regular ones? I see that a lot in jazz, and I don't know if I want to replace some of my CDs.

In the record store today, I saw a couple of music DVDs being sold. These weren't DVD-A; the label said it could be played in any DVD player. Do you guys know the skinny on these?

7. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

They are DVD's that have the surround mixes in either DD5.1 or dts 5.1 and are configured for regular DVD-V players.

BTW - Most (if not all) DVD-A discs have a DD 5.1 and or a DTS 5.1 audio track that will play in a standard DVD player. Bad news - it is usually only the surround mix, and is only equal to the resolution of the DD or DTS codec (i.e. - it is not the high resolution mix). Also - there is nothing that REQUIRES these discs to have a compatible mix, so sooner or later they may NOT contain them (check the disc). I understand that both the Queen and Doobie brothers disc will also have a 2 channel mix that can be played on sytandard DVD players, but I cannot confirm this (correct me if I am wrong).

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor