What's new

What about "Meet the Press", et al? (1 Viewer)

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
The recent passing of Tim Russert got me thinking about the possibility of at least a "best-of" DVD release of Meet The Press and other Sunday talkers.

I would think the sales might actually be quite strong with interviews with pols both past and present, given history gives interesting context to the interview, to say nothing of the fact that MTP is one of the oldest shows on TV at over 60.

Thoughts?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My feeling is that the material is too topical to hold up against the weathering of time. That might limit its DVD potential, in my opinion.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Probably right, but the history geek in me is just dying to see some of the interviews. Knowing that JFK and MLK were on MTP for example has me interested and would want to see more than clips.

It's a focused audience, true, but it could be a fascinating primer on the American political process.

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney

Oh, I disagree. I'm a history nerd and I'd love to see some of the older interviews with, as Matt mentioned, Kennedy and Martin Luther King, as well as others. Maybe theme compilations (Elections, Vietnam, etc.) may be the way to go. During the many tributes to Tim Russert, many pundits commented on the strength and credibility that a candidate earned after appearing on "Meet the Press" - I think a DVD of some of the most memorable interviews in the show's long run would prove to be an entertaining and educational source for history buffs everywhere.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Not just Russert and Meet the Press, but also look at Face the Nation as a potential release.

True, this is a niche release, but frankly, isn't TV on DVD also a niche market as well?

Like I said, as a history teacher in training, the idea of using these as classroom teaching tools appeals to me greatly.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
Given that it's from NBC news I would be concerned that they would have kept enough pre 1980 material to make a decent set. It was widely known during the JFK assination coverage that they had already trashed the archives of his inaugural and other important events to save space. CBS was much better in keeping their news archives.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Well, they did have clips of MLK and JFK on MTP on during the Russert tributes, so they must have something. Hopefully they learned their lesson from JFK and have kept more since '63. We'll just have to see.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Thanks for the tip, Joe. I'll go check that out.

Get the feeling that something with MTP is almost inevitable now. People who never watched before may be interested with Russert's death if just to really analyze him as an interviewer.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Call me a bit jaded but I see the Sunday morning shows as one big spin fest with little of substance coming out as the various guests stick to their talking points. Since viewership is pretty low due to the audience either being at church or sleeping in, it seems that guests are only trying to produce sound bytes for the evening newscasts.

This may have been a different story back in the 50s/60s when public affairs wasn't the brutal contact sport that it is now and healthy and respectful policy debates were still possible. Still, I wonder how marketable these sets would be. I love American history but for every JFK that guested there were dozens of Senators or Representatives interviewed that have virtually no name recognition among the general population today.

Also, I doubt NBC or the Russert family would want to be seen as trying to capitalize on Mr. Russert's tragic and early passing.

Perhaps a more workable idea would be a documentary on the various shows throughout the decades? This would require cooperation from various networks but with more material to pull from more focus could be placed on "A" list guests as well as some of the legendary hosts of years past. I was always a Brinkley fan and often found him more interesting than his guests.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm not saying the material isn't great, I'm suggesting it's too topical to have a wide enough appeal to garner DVD release.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
It is true, you'd have to be either a hug political wonk and a history nut to cull much from them, so maybe a limited run would work best or an exclusive. Still, I think it would be wise to go to efforts to preserve the stuff from the 50s, 60s, 70s, even the 80s now then have to worry about it later.

Politics is an evolutionary beast and seeing how we went from cordial meetings to Ann Coulter would be interesting.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
It is too topical and partisan. People who have one slant will not tolerate a DVD with opposing viewpoints, and I don't just mean Democrat or Republican. Even though they can skip over interviews they don't want to see any opposing views in their DVD library. Plus, the above comment is right, its alot of spin comments on those shows, and there is a reason they are on Sunday morning, very few people watch them, otherwise they would be in a better time slot. While I'm certain there is a niche market for this material, it's not enough for DVD release.

Now, as a download, different story altogether. Definitely, yes! Much lower cost to release, these shows don't have to be high definition anyway, they were shot in video, not film, so hi-def is probably going to give more detail than you want. You can pick and choose which show have which guests, don't need to get someone you don't want. Download it and make your custom DVD.
In fact they should just make them viewable on the web, like Siskel and Ebert reviews archive, and just pay for it with ads, so it's free to view.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Download would work, especially making them customizable. The point is I'd like to see all of these shows preserved in a format for later generations.

Oh and for those concerned on a potential capitalization on Russert's passing, just have a portion of profits go to the Boys and Girls Club, a charity Russert supported and that should satisfy folks.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Then here's what they should do: Make the material public domain or put it on DVD and give it to libraries, schools, etc for free. If it's just for historical reasons and not really interesting viewing, then it should go that route. Either that or an archive of every show be put on an internet archive, like Archive.org and just have a searchable access to look up names, dates, subject matter, etc.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I think we have a winner! Seriously, I've felt for years that all the major networks should allow their news archives to have free access for education and historical context.

It's an amazing idea and shows the potential of the internet to get any broadcast of the news from any day and be able to analyze it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks