1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What about Legacy Audio Speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Keene, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

Hey, I did a search, I found NOTHING on this forum talking about Legacy Audio speakers. What gives? I've always been facinated with the high-end "looks" of the Legacy line, but have never heard anything about the sound that didn't come from a Legacy ad.
    Legacy makes some pretty big claims about the high-end sound for the money, even going to far as to quote Sensible Sound magazine as saying (I paraphrase) that their $5400 Focus pair is comparable to the B&W 800s ($15,000). Is this possible, or is is marketing?
    I'm surpirsed I haven't seen ANYTHING about this brand? Anyone? Anyone?
    Thanks.

2. Jeff Keene

Bump.
    Anyone?

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Jeff,
    I've asked this question before too, and also got ZERO response. It seems that whenever someone mentions those speakers everyone tends to look away. I wonder if that may not be an answer in itself. I would love to know for certain though, they sure do look incredible. There is a dealer for them in Broomfield, CO. Is that near you? Perhaps you could be the guy that knows all about Legacy Audio speakers. [​IMG]
    To see the list of dealers go here . There is also a link to the Legacy Audio forum here Best of luck.
    Dan Hine

4. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

A guy about 3 blocks away has a pair of Legacy Focus. They sound great (as they should at the price). The chief advantage of this type of speaker over ones less than $1000, is that they match very very well, and can be played at much higher spl. Also, the Focus will go much lower into the bass than can cheaper ones.
    If you have a normal size room, and normal hearing, and a decent subwoofer, a pair of good bookshelf speakers will be just as satisfying--soundwise.
    ------------------
    Norm Strong ([email protected])

5. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

I don’t own them, but I had a demo of the Legacy speakers a few months ago.
    They have a traveling “road show” that stops in select city’s across the USA.
    Check their website for dates/locations.
    For 2-Channel audio these things sounded simply AMAZING, but for Home Theater I wasn’t impressed.
    The system I heard consisted of:
    “Whisper” for Left & Right front.
    “Broadway” center channel
    Twin “Focus” models used for surrounds
    I’m not sure of the model Sub they used, but it was a Legacy brand as well.
    All of the Amp’s & crossovers were Legacy products.
    The guy tried to “show off” the system by playing the Lobby Shootout scene from The Matrix and failed miserably.
    My system consists of:
    (3) Boston 555 THX for the front
    (4) Atlantic Tech 374SR for Lexicon Logic-7 surround
    Twin SVS 20-39 Subs.
    Considering all the speakers in my room cost LESS then a single “Whisper”, I was expecting much more from Legacy.
    I’m sure someone who owns these will respond with a different point of view, but that is mine.
    2-channel - YES
    Home Theater - NO
    Shawn S
    [Edited last by Shawn Sefranek on September 09, 2001 at 09:49 PM]

6. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

We have had an appointment-only Legacy "showroom" in Houston. Our HT interest group tried to get an appointment to go listen as a group about a year and a half ago, but Legacy could never find a time when they would have actually had some equipment in place to show, and people available to chaperone our audition. We've long since moved on to other areas of interest.
    I was never able to get an individual appointment either, when I was seriously looking for new speakers for my own HT. Twice, I received cards inviting me to an "open house" -- that had occured the week before I received the invitation. They did send an impressive bundle of four color brochures of the various models in their lineup, but I never got a chance to listen. But that is fine; I am more than happy with what I did end up buying, and they do a great job on movies AND music.
    Although I continue to audition a wide range of speakers to try to keep aware of what is "out there" (for example I just spent a couple of hours listening to Vienna Acoustics Beethovens this past Saturday) at this point I personally do not care whether I ever hear the Legacy speakers or not. There are too many other outstanding performers to recommend to others at all price levels to go chasing after the Legacys. If others have had similar experiences, that would go a long way toward explaining why you do not read much about them around here.
    Burke

7. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,
    You might have better luck with responses at the Audioreview.com message boards. Serious Legacy owners and admirers lurk on that forum.
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us

8. Jeff Keene

Thanks for the responses. That pretty much answers my question.
    I do live near Broomfield, though, so I will try to check them out.
    A friend of mine told me I could not speaker shop without looking at Thiel. Here we go again...

9. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

A friend of mine has a pair of the Focus speakers. He has a pair of Odyssey Monoblock AMP's and a Rogue Audio Pre-Amp. Forgot the CD player.

It sounds freakin unbelievable. Live concert CD's are as close to the real thing as I have ever heard. They make my Klipsch RP'3 sound like a KMart GPX radio. (Well, not THAT bad, but you get the idea.)

10. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Buying the "right" speaker is very subjective and personal. I've listened to (and owned) many, many pairs of speakers over the years. Some stood out (for reasons both good and bad) and some didn't.

A couple of summer's ago, I was in Springfield IL and went by the Legacy factory showroom. I spent about an hour or so and listened to several models. For me, my feeling was that they were kinda uninspiring. They didn't sound bad. But I felt that my Vandersteens and small Thiels offered better overall sound (and they don't sound the same at all) at their price points.

My best advice is to go ahead and demo all that you can. Your impression may be different than mine...

11. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

For what it's worth, I know that some of the higher Legacy models are used in mastering studios. These studios typically use stuff like huge Dunlavy's which are known for their unbelievable accuracy. So, Legacy is probably up there as well.

If you can audition, that would be best. But, they do have a money-back guarantee, right? IMO, the Focus and the Signature III look to be pretty good values.