What's new

What about a PUG? (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Pugs also require a bit more maintenance, like making sure you clean their facial folds out so they don't potentially become infected.

They're also velcro dogs, and will follow you everywhere. If, for example, you leave the bathroom door open, you will have a guard making sure you finish your business in a safe and timely manner.

As for leaving a bowl of food with them if you go somewhere for an extended period, that would probably last approximately five minutes after you left. Pugs will tend to eat... and eat... and eat, if they have access to it.

And yeah, try to go to the local SPCA or a rescue organization for any dog.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
schan1269 said:
Spuds MacKenzie and "the Target dog" are Bull Terriers.
i asked to check my terms, and she reiterated its bull terriers, not pit bulls. Her husband also clarified it's a neurosis that can occur in these dogs, and can cause aberrant violent outbursts. It's not universal, not present, and not a function of training. My sister is friends with a breeder that has experienced this with their (friendly, well-trained) dog, and says this is a known issue in the community. This is not an ignorant "pit bulls are scary" opinion.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Stan said:
DaveF, spot on with your sister's mini dog reviews. Italian Greyhounds and Whippets love warmth. My IG would live in front of the fireplace, find the nearest sunbeam or crawl under the covers on the bed. But they're also probably the most loveable breed I've ever come across, especially if you're the owner, they will never leave your side. Terriers can be a big mistake unless you have a lot of time to spend with them. I wanted a Jack Russell, based only on the silly reason I loved Eddie from Frasier, but he was a highly trained dog. Terriers are very "busy" and hyper, except for the Boston Terrier, which isn't a true terrier. One to avoid in my opinion is the infamous Min-Pin, a miniature pinscher. Tiny, but mean little bastards. As mentioned, the snub-nosed breeds like pugs, Pekingese, Shih-Tzu, etc. can have terrible respiratory problems, but the snoring is cute. One thing nobody has mentioned is that smaller dogs, especially toy breeds usually live very long lives. The larger the dog, almost always the shorter the life. The large breed Irish Wolfhound often will only live 5-6 years, Great Dane 6-7, where many toy breeds can live well into their late to mid teens. There are exceptions to this of course, depends on breeding, how well the dog is cared for, food, exercise, etc. But in general toys will outlive larger breeds. Larger dogs with big chests also can often fall victim to bloat (stomach twisting, torsion and other terms). This can literally kill a dog within hours. Something toy breeds rarely experience. Ron, glad you're doing some research and asking around. It's nice to make an informed decision rather than just picking up whatever looks cute at the time.
Yep, my sister has been through all that with their Swissies. The current one is 11 and is an old man, and suffering seizures. Maybe another year to go. :(Folks are commenting on the possible difficulties and costs of purebreds. But -- as I'm sure Ron know from experience -- all pets take time, money, and emotional investment. As I like to say, there's nothing more expensive than a free cat :D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Another breed to consider is a mutt from your local shelter or humane group. These dogs are often aware of the dire situation they're in and will be so grateful for a home.

My next door neighbor adopted a chocolate lab with a gimpy (and always will be) front leg that had been owner surrendered. Max is the sweetest, friendliest dog you could hope to meet. My neighbor is potty over Max. I think they both know they're lucky to have found each other.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
schan1269 said:
I train my dogs. My two Bull Terrier mixes are loved by everybody.Neighbor had a Lhasa Apso I had to repeatedly kick to get off a kids ankle once.
Not picking on a breed just sharing firsthand experience. Henry is supposedly trained as well. Perhaps the mixes on your dogs are a stabilizing factor. Henry i$ a purebred.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've had more than 40 dogs in my life. At least 20 purebreed.Cocker Spaniel(notorious for old age mental issues)Bull Terrier(my two mixes are my last BT's progeny)Irish Wolfhound. He sired 5 litters. Only lived 4 years. Best dog I ever had. He was full trained by 5 months. I showed him our property barrier by tugging on his neck. Walk past, swatted his butt...nodded...moved on.German Shepherd. That dog loved riding in the car. Open a car door and he was in like Flynn. Speaking of cars...Every large dog I've ever had would sit for 20 minutes or more and never fidget. Even in a convertible at a gas station, store...post office. No matter. Calm as could be.Dog under 15 pounds. Different story. Not a chance in hell you could trust one for 30 seconds of not jumping out.The Wolfhound I had, if it was late night at a gas station or rest stop on a long trip. I'd let him walk himself over to the grass. Just point and say "go ahead".By the way. Been offered rescues of a Keeshond (pure) and an Afghan(not sure if pure, but looks pure). Might take both.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
Irish Wolfhound. He sired 5 litters. Only lived 4 years. Best dog I ever had. He was full trained by 5 months. I showed him our property barrier by tugging on his neck. Walk past, swatted his butt...nodded...moved on.
So sorry about your Irish Wolfhound. Knew they had short lives, but only four years is tough.

I had an Italian Greyhound, she was 100% healthy until age 12 (vet check-ups, etc., and she was fine), but she literally just stopped. No illness, no problems, I just went to check on her and she had quietly passed away.

As you mentioned with 15 lb. dogs, she loved to travel with me, but leave the car windows open, she'd jump right out at the first stop. IGs have very fragile legs, but this one was tough and never hurt herself. Only one car jump and I learned, but she'd run around the house, do swan dives off the back of the couch, I'm surprised she could walk. But tough bones, she got her championship within about six months.

Best part about it was she beat all her siblings. Nobody wanted her, but she turned out to be the best one of the litter.

My black lab just turned six, perfectly healthy, so hope she has at least another six years left. It's hard to lose somebody who is truly part of your family.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
His lymph nodes in the neck swelled up. Antibiotics took care of it. 6 months later swelled up again, antibiotics didn't help. Put him to sleep. Couldn't eat or drink.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The Obsolete Man said:
As for leaving a bowl of food with them if you go somewhere for an extended period, that would probably last approximately five minutes after you left. Pugs will tend to eat... and eat... and eat, if they have access to it.
That is something I've never understood. I take care of a friend's poodles when she's out of town. Three standards and one toy, and she free feeds them. The bowl is always full, they just eat when they feel like it, all perfectly normal weight.

She'd take care of my Italian Greyhound and I'd take her home three pounds heavier, took me months to get the weight back off of her. My lab is the same way, if it's even slightly edible, it's hers. She'd be 150 lbs. if I didn't control it.Some dogs are fine, but others act like they haven't eaten in weeks.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
My Cocker Spaniel was that way. Gorge, puke, gorge, puke...repeat.She would eat and puke a 40lb bag in one day...if she got in it.
One good, but really gross thing with dogs puking, is you usually don't have much clean up to do. They take care of it and recycle things. What goes down once can always go down again. :lol:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah...but that dog did it to a "4 days of food meant for 5 dogs" once.She ate it all...the other 4 hadn't eaten by the time we got back...

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Sorry but I would totally disagree with this...we have had min-pins for about 10 years now and they have never been mean or bitten anyone large or small.

Are they protective, you bet and like many other breeds if you torment them they can get fed up and respond. But have never had either of ours show any sort of mean or proactive violence towards other people or animals.
One to avoid in my opinion is the infamous Min-Pin, a miniature pinscher. Tiny, but mean little bastards.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Colin Davidson said:
Sorry but I would totally disagree with this...we have had min-pins for about 10 years now and they have never been mean or bitten anyone large or small.

Are they protective, you bet and like many other breeds if you torment them they can get fed up and respond. But have never had either of ours show any sort of mean or proactive violence towards other people or animals.
One to avoid in my opinion is the infamous Min-Pin, a miniature pinscher. Tiny, but mean little bastards.
Sorry for the "all Min-Pins are awful" comment. Kind of like pit-bulls, they just get a bad rep.

Much of it comes from the owners, how they're raised, socialized, etc. I was the same way with Pomeranians, just yappy little nippers. Then I met some new friends a few years ago that have one. He is the most loveable, cuddly thing you could imagine.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
David_B_K said:
I always thought this picture of Willie, taken after Patton's death is quite sad and touching:

I've never seen that pic. I agree, very touching. I'm sure Willie missed his master.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I've had seven pugs over the coarse of my life, with the seventh being my puppy I got in May named Muggsy. I got his name from the basketball player Muggsy Bogues. My last pug Trog died last October, just shy of turning 15.

Pugs are very lovable, especially the males(in my experience). They're also curious, playful, goofy, and loyal. They also think they're bigger than they are. They always want to eat too, which makes them prone to obesity. Yea, they often do have health problems with breathing, eyes, ears, and other stuff. I'd recommend them. look into a local pug rescue center if there is one.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Update on Henry my brothers American Bull terrier - he died Monday night. My brother's message to me was that he took Henry for a walk on Sunday and Henry got so wound up over seeing another dog that he never recovered and presumably his heart gave out. Sad and weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks