What's new

What about a Blu of Ryans Daughter (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Thanks for posting, Sean. Case closed, except in the memory of 4 people. By the way, there was nothing lascivious about the sequence as shot and as I described it; just a case of, in this instance, Irish Catholic puritanism.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I too find it hard to believe that they filmed this scene and then cut it out of all prints except for one small country. Is Sarah Miles still with us? All the other participants able to confirm or deny are gone.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robin9 said:
I too find it hard to believe that they filmed this scene and then cut it out of all prints except for one small country. Is Sarah Miles still with us? All the other participants able to confirm or deny are gone.

Maybe it was shot by some censorship body in Puerto Rico and the principal actors cannot even be seen in the scene but some stand-ins/lookalikes.

I have a hard time believing that Robert Mitchum and Sarah Miles would played such a silly scene but I also find it hard to believe that somebody would invent such a silly scene!

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Douglas R said:
Is it 1 April yet? Sorry but the idea that David Lean would film such a scene is absurd.
The scene was never in the Australian 70mm version which I saw several times. One brief scene of Sarah Miles breast was cut in some countries.This scene not part of the wedding scene however and occurred in a different part of the film.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Robin9 said:
Yes Sarah is still with us . I personally doubt that David Lean would have shot such a scene as it would not have been acceptable (in an English speaking film) in the late sixties when the film was made.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
OliverK said:
Maybe it was shot by some censorship body in Puerto Rico and the principal actors cannot even be seen in the scene but some stand-ins/lookalikes.

I have a hard time believing that Robert Mitchum and Sarah Miles would played such a silly scene but I also find it hard to believe that somebody would invent such a silly scene!
EDIT:
Who knows, you may be right, but this thought cracked me up. You can just visualise the censors gathered round, shaking their heads and wringing their hands at the risque love scene, then one of them pipes up with: "I know how to fix this. Maria, bring me a sheet. Bernardo, fetch me the scissors..."

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
RMajidi said:
EDIT:
Who knows, you may be right, but this thought cracked me up. You can just visualise the censors gathered round, shaking their heads and wringing their hands at the risque love scene, then one of them pipes up with: "I know how to fix this. Maria, bring me a sheet. Bernardo, fetch me the scissors..."

Yes, that would have been a sight to behold!

We need to mount an expedition searching for one of the old release prints that could tell us more....

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
As I recall Robert Duvall and Natasha Richardson enact a similar sheet scene in The Handmaid's Tale.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Bob Cashill said:
As I recall Robert Duvall and Natasha Richardson enact a similar sheet scene in The Handmaid's Tale.
I've never seen The Handmaid's Tale, and I still haven't started writing fiction. So what I described I saw; I couldn't have come up with it. Maybe if someone contacted Lady Sarah Miles...Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it didn't happen (to paraphrase what someone told a doubting Thomas).

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I saw Ryan's Daughter on its opening day in San Francisco during its 70 millimeter "Roadshow" run (I still have the program) and that "hole in the sheet" scene was most definitely not in the film.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I wasn't doubting you, just saying a similar scene is in a different film.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I'm going

Ken Koc said:
I must say RYAN'S DAUGHTER looks great! Sharp as a 70mm print.! The aspect ratio is correct at 2.20 and the sound is 5.1 Dolby Digital.
I'm going to give it a shot according to your recommendation. By the way, for those interested, it's $21 and change shipped from Amazon Spain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks