What's new

What about a Blu of Ryans Daughter (2 Viewers)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Unfortunately, this is the type of title that, financially, would probably only work as a limited release. So why hasn't it been released as an Archive title?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dr Griffin said:
Unfortunately, this is the type of title that, financially, would probably only work as a limited release. So why hasn't it been released as an Archive title?
Well, the same can be said for a number of titles. Hopefully, it's just a matter of time.

Reactions: PMF

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Robert Crawford said:
Well, the same can be said for a number of titles. Hopefully, it's just a matter of time.

This film would look fantastic as a 4K release (as has been mentioned), actually mastered in 4K, but what are the chances of that.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
The problem with Ryan's Daughter is ...will it sell? Like the upcoming Far From the Madding Crowd I believe that the Warner Archive will eventually release Ryan's Daughter. Ultra HD? Doubt it as only the biggest sellers will introduce the new format.

Saw it a number of times during it's original NYC run in 70mm at the Ziegfeld. Beautiful movie.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I see 4k Blu-ray as an extremely finite niche market.

New productions, shot in 4k should be fine, although a new poorly photographed 4k release, I see as a waste.

As to classics / catalog...

very much dependent upon the vintage, availability of quality elements, etc.

Large format would shine in 4k, many of the 35mm Eastman shows of the era, not so much. A situation in which Blu-ray can represent a film nicely.

RAH

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
TCM showed Ryan's Daughter last night for St. Patrick's Day, but it didn't start till 1:45 AM. Since I get up at 6 AM for work I only saw 20 minutes of it, but that was enough to see it was a very beautiful HD transfer. Gives me hope for an upcoming Blu-ray release.

I wonder why TCM always schedules this wonderful film for the middle of the night. They've never shown it before 1 in the morning. I'd make it one of their Essentials, Saturday night in prime time, so more viewers can see it. I know a lot of people don't like it and think it's slow, etc., but every time I see it I completely lose all track of time, and just get lost in the fantastic filmmaking of David Lean.

Slightly off-topic but speaking of the Essentials, in all the years they've been programming that series there's only been one science fiction film featured, Metropolis. Certainly 2001 and The Day the Earth Stood Still should qualify as essential movie viewing, right?

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Bill Huelbig said:
I wonder why TCM always schedules this wonderful film for the middle of the night. They've never shown it before 1 in the morning. I'd make it one of their Essentials, Saturday night in prime time, so more viewers can see it. I know a lot of people don't like it and think it's slow, etc., but every time I see it I completely lose all track of time, and just get lost in the fantastic filmmaking of David Lean.

I have to wonder if it's the nudity during the sex scene that forces them to schedule it during the overnight hours?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Bill Huelbig said:
TCM showed Ryan's Daughter last night for St. Patrick's Day, but it didn't start till 1:45 AM. Since I get up at 6 AM for work I only saw 20 minutes of it, but that was enough to see it was a very beautiful HD transfer. Gives me hope for an upcoming Blu-ray release.

Slightly off-topic but speaking of the Essentials, in all the years they've been programming that series there's only been one science fiction film featured, Metropolis. Certainly 2001 and The Day the Earth Stood Still should qualify as essential movie viewing, right?
Tis the reason a DVR is essential. You can also register on the TCM website for a reminder of when a favorite film is scheduled to run. They send you am e-mail a few days before the date with info on the day and time.

At least you are one of the fortunate to get TCM in HD. I have Fios home of no TCM HD and now no Weather Channel. Next time my contract is up there will be no Fios.

TCM has been doing some strange things to their SD broadcast since they started real HD. Sometimes they pillowbox a 1:33 film so it appears very small on your TV. On Sunday when the showed Darby O'Gill and the Little People they cut off the two sides so that in the opening credits the names were cut off. It played in its OAR on TCM On Demand so it was strange how they broadcast it.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Allansfirebird said:
I have to wonder if it's the nudity during the sex scene that forces them to schedule it during the overnight hours?

You're probably right about that. I remember when the movie first came out, it had an R rating because of that one scene. MGM must have begged and pleaded for a re-rating to GP (the precursor to PG), which they eventually got.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
atfree said:
Not sure if this is news or not, but Warner Archive's Twitter feed yesterday said the Ryan's Daughter was now available on their streaming service in HD.

http://instant.warnerarchive.com/product.html?productId=61700

Yes and it looks great. If you're not averse to streaming I heartily recommend getting a Roku device and subscribing to the Instant Warner Archive service, which is easily worth the 10 bucks a month it costs.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
RAH and I once corresponded about a scene that I saw during the roadshow presentation of Ryan's Daughter in Puerto Rico. It occurred during Charles and Rosie's wedding night (pre-coital). Charles held up a sheet with a hole cut in the center of it. He carefully placed it over Rosie's nightgown before he lay on top of her. Then he methodically lifted both nightgowns, leaving the sheet with the hole between their bodies so he could penetrate her through it without ever looking at, or touching any other part of her body.

Let me emphasize that I've met elderly couples who sired children without ever seeing their spouses naked.

Let me also emphasize that Puerto Rico received international cuts of films that were different from the cuts shown stateside (such as the current release of Far from the Madding Crowd, Blood and Roses, etc.).

My wife saw the roadshow version without me and she remembered the scene. Recently, while I was watching a streaming version of the film, she came into the room and asked me: Is the sheet with the hole scene in? I answered in the negative.

When I queried RAH whether he knew anything about this scene, he responded that he had never seen it, and doubted that it had ever been filmed. So I proceeded to ask other people in Puerto Rico who had seen the film during its opening engagement.

I placed two separate phone calls to 2 friends: one, male, born in 1932; another one, female, my current age (64). I asked whether they had seen Ryan's Daughter during its roadshow engagement. Both said yes. Then, without further prompting, I asked what they remembered about the wedding sequence. First words out of their mouths: The sheet with the hole cut in its center and placed between their bodies prior to intercourse. So I no longer question my memory. Three other people have corroborated it.

This scene obviously was cut from US prints, so my question is whether anyone in this forum living outside the sphere of strict censorship (the Production Code, the BBFC, or other such entities) might have seen an international version of the film with the scene as described by me.

The scene, as short as it is, is important because it shows the strict puritanism of Irish Catholicism at the time, and the conflict going on in Rosie's mind which had been filled with romantic nonsense (as had Madame Bovary's) through the reading of trashy pamphlets; and the harsh reality of a carnal act devoid of practically any feeling or pleasure, leaving her wondering (as Peggy Lee did): Is that all there is?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
bujaki said:
RAH and I once corresponded about a scene that I saw during the roadshow presentation of Ryan's Daughter in Puerto Rico. It occurred during Charles and Rosie's wedding night (pre-coital). Charles held up a sheet with a hole cut in the center of it. He carefully placed it over Rosie's nightgown before he lay on top of her. Then he methodically lifted both nightgowns, leaving the sheet with the hole between their bodies so he could penetrate her through it without ever looking at, or touching any other part of her body.

Let me emphasize that I've met elderly couples who sired children without ever seeing their spouses naked.

Let me also emphasize that Puerto Rico received international cuts of films that were different from the cuts shown stateside (such as the current release of Far from the Madding Crowd, Blood and Roses, etc.).

My wife saw the roadshow version without me and she remembered the scene. Recently, while I was watching a streaming version of the film, she came into the room and asked me: Is the sheet with the hole scene in? I answered in the negative.

When I queried RAH whether he knew anything about this scene, he responded that he had never seen it, and doubted that it had ever been filmed. So I proceeded to ask other people in Puerto Rico who had seen the film during its opening engagement.

I placed two separate phone calls to 2 friends: one, male, born in 1932; another one, female, my current age (64). I asked whether they had seen Ryan's Daughter during its roadshow engagement. Both said yes. Then, without further prompting, I asked what they remembered about the wedding sequence. First words out of their mouths: The sheet with the hole cut in its center and placed between their bodies prior to intercourse. So I no longer question my memory. Three other people have corroborated it.

This scene obviously was cut from US prints, so my question is whether anyone in this forum living outside the sphere of strict censorship (the Production Code, the BBFC, or other such entities) might have seen an international version of the film with the scene as described by me.

The scene, as short as it is, is important because it shows the strict puritanism of Irish Catholicism at the time, and the conflict going on in Rosie's mind which had been filled with romantic nonsense (as had Madame Bovary's) through the reading of trashy pamphlets; and the harsh reality of a carnal act devoid of practically any feeling or pleasure, leaving her wondering (as Peggy Lee did): Is that all there is?

Is it 1 April yet? Sorry but the idea that David Lean would film such a scene is absurd.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'm not saying that RAH is wrong, or that you are wrong. You just didn't see the scene. Why would people in Puerto Rico remember it? Because of its strangeness, that's why. I'll add no more. I was just trying to find out if any other viewers around the globe might have seen the scene in question.

Maybe if someone found and checked the final shooting script, such as the ones that were posted today on the Lawrence of Arabia thread...

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
bujaki said:
I'm not saying that RAH is wrong, or that you are wrong. You just didn't see the scene. Why would people in Puerto Rico remember it? Because of its strangeness, that's why. I'll add no more. I was just trying to find out if any other viewers around the globe might have seen the scene in question.
Maybe if someone found and checked the final shooting script, such as the ones that were posted today on the Lawrence of Arabia thread...
I see nothing in the draft I've got:

Capture.JPG

There's absolutely no way Lean would've filmed such a shot like that. If he had, it would be in the roadshow version that's available today. David Lean films (by that stage of his career) were released in only one version - a cut he personally okayed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks