What's new

What Abbott & Costello Universal films would you like to see next on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
If BUCK PRIVATES and ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN do really well on Blu-ray, I would hope Universal would prepare some of their other classics for Blu-ray. next year. My expectations tell my that MEET FRANKENSTEIN will outsell BUCK PRIVATES by a fairly wide margin, but I also hope that Universal won’t just release Blu’s of just their other “MEET” films as I think they are weaker than many of their earlier films.
So, what films would you pick? Here are several (in no particular order) I would vote for:
BUCK PRIVATES COME HOME
WHO DONE IT?
HOLD THAT GHOST
THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES
KEEP ‘EM FLYING
IN SOCIETY
LITTLE GIANT

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
MEET THE MUMMY (1955) might be fun on Blu-ray, but the films that interest me are MEET THE KILLER BORIS KARLOFF (1949) and MEET DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE (1953).

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Let's be honest, though, Universal has only three images of Bud & Lou:
Buck Privates (the first one, with the Andrews Sisters), Naughty Nineties (the "Who's On First?" Movie), and the Monsters.
The others don't even EXIST, unless they could be set-bundled.
Me, I'd toss my $7.50 Susquehanna Hat in for "In Society"*, for Lou's Revenge in "Time of Their Lives" or for the burlesque-archive Nuthouse sketch and cute lil' teenaged Ella Fitzgerald in "Ride 'Em Cowboy", but if it doesn't have "Meet" in the title--even if was Keystone Kops--it's not in our foreseeable lifetime. :(
(* - They also did the Susquehanna Hat sketch for the TV show, and unfortunately, the movie missed one of my favorite lines--
Bud was the expert in deadpanning lines that slipped past Lou, and when Bud starts complaining about the shoddy workmanship of Susquehanna straw-hats in the TV version of the sketch, "And just look at this cheap third-rate imitation straw; here, taste it yourself!", Lou starts to take a taste, and "...Wait a minute!!" :laugh: )

Maybe MGM will release their A&C films on HD ?
Id like to see A&C meet the Killer Boris Karloff myself

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Definitely I would love to see "HOLD THAT GHOST", to pair along with "A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN" (which is being released in September). Always thought these two were great movies to watch during the Halloween season.
Also, I would like to see "IN THE NAVY" to pair along with "BUCK PRIVATES" (which is already released)....two reasons, they are both hilarious and musical.....they feature the Andrew Sisters (btw....the Andrew Sisters are also in "HOLD THAT GHOST").
2 other movies I would like to see on Blu-Ray are "WHO DONE IT?" and "HIT THE ICE", which were pretty good flicks!! :cool:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My favorites (apart from Meet Frankenstein) have always been Hold That Ghost and The Time of Their Lives. I also really like Meet the Invisible Man and Meet the Mummy.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Hold That Ghost. And if Universal really did a monster set, it ought to include Hold that Ghost.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Vote for HOLD THAT GHOST also. First A & C film I saw. It was on the afternoon matinee on WLBT channel 3 Jackson, MS. They ended up showing most their films that summer and I had my first introduction to them.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My first one was also seen on a Saturday or Sunday TV matinee showing, and it was one of their more atypical films The Time of Their Lives. Hold That Ghost and A&C Meet the Mummy also became favorites during that period. Also liked Keem 'Em Flying.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
How about another themed Blu-ray set - Abbott & Costello in the Services - comprising Buck Privates, Buck Privates Come Home, In the Navy, Keep 'em Flying etc. or Abbott & Costello Abroad - comprising Africa Screams, Mexican Hayride, Lost in Alaska, Foreign Legion, Lost in a Harem etc.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Keith Cobby said:
How about another themed Blu-ray set - Abbott & Costello in the Services - comprising Buck Privates, Buck Privates Come Home, In the Navy, Keep 'em Flying etc. or Abbott & Costello Abroad - comprising Africa Screams, Mexican Hayride, Lost in Alaska, Foreign Legion, Lost in a Harem etc.
That's the problem--Most of the "lost" A&C films, like "Dance With Me, Henry" and "The Noose Hangs High", were done for MGM, not Universal, and the ones produced independently, like Africa Screams, Harem and Jack & the Beanstalk, are the ones that fell into Public Domain. (And that's not counting Lou's solo "The 30 Foot Bride of Candy Rock", way over at Sony Archive.) The MGM ones didn't come out in the Universal DVD boxes, and that's what keeps any set from being "complete".

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I'd love to have "A&B Meet Frankenstein" for my collection, but I'm sure as hell not paying $25 for it! When it comes down to $15, I'll be all over it...and that should have been the original price to begin with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks