What's new

What A/V Receiver's at the $300 mark? (1 Viewer)

Marc*F

Stunt Coordinator
What A/V Receiver's should I look at the $300 mark?

From what I have seen although I'm not sure if better deals can be had are the Pioneer D912 receiver and Denon 1604.

Any others and cheapest prices to be had?

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
Onkyo TX-SR501 should be in there someone, but again, I'm biased.

Component Switching
65 w/channel @ 8 ohms

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
"How about a refurbished Harman/Kardon AVR-325... should be able to find one around the $300 mark."

Agreed you can get a good deal on a refurb Harman, I got my AVR-125 for next to nothing (around 200 bucks shipped) and I have been very happy with it so far. I am glad I shopped around, it kept me within my budget I had allocated for speakers and a receiver. The only thing is make sure the dealer is an authorized dealer for whatever you decide on.

Marc*F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the recommendations...

I'm in Australia and wondering if anyone might know some online places that deliver hifi gear internationally and have fairly decent prices?

Marc*F

Stunt Coordinator
Another question, the Pioneer D912 or the Denon 1604? .... the Pioneer is a higher model but then the other is a Denon which I have only heard good things about...

Michael BC

Auditioning
Panasonic XR45- $300.00 online. I doubt any receiver in its price range sounds remotely as good- especially for music.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The Panasonic digital receivers supposedly sound great with capable sources feeding them digitaly. The all-digital path (including amplification) makes alot of sense and there's alot of buzz about the 25 and 45 model over at AVS and AudioAsylum. Analog sources run about par for the course in quality compared to others, but you won't have the great processing for 2ch sources like Logic 7 found in the HK's. I think the HK 325 would be a good choice in the price range.

Chad_Henry

Stunt Coordinator
You can probably get the 1604 for a substantially cheaper price from 6ave. For a while now they've been selling current model Denon receivers for the same price as the older generation ones listed on their website.

For example, myself and many others purchased the Denon 3803 from them for the price of a 3802. I know they are selling the 1804 for the listed price of the 1803 ($355 shipped, if you can afford the extra $55 I'd recommend you jump all over it), they are probably offering the 1604 for the price of the 1603, which would put it at $269.

6ave is an authorized Denon dealer, if you purchase from them you're buying a brand new (not refurbished) unopened product w/ the full Denon warranty.

Before anyone asks, no, I don't work for 6ave. I'm just a Denon fan who also is now a VERY happy 6ave customer.

Regarding the 1804, I have one in my bedroom HT setup. Very nice reciever for the $500 I spent on it, an absolute killer deal for the $355 6ave is charging.

Marc*F

Stunt Coordinator
COnsidering the Pioneer D912 is a higher model along the line and costs abit more then the Denon 1604, how do they compare side by side? I would be happy to pay the little bit extra if the Pioneer D912 is slightly better or go for the Denon 1604 if it is preferred for quality/functions? :) From what i can see they are pretty similar overall and it would be more personal opinion....the Denon 1604 is heavier then the Pioneer D912? :D

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I didn't know the AVR325's were selling that cheap now...if it can be found around that price I don't think you can do any better.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 912K, 812K, 811S, and 810S are all great receivers but aren't known for super strong amp section. Still a true 65W/ch based on the 850S test from sound&vision and sound great, but I agree the HK 325 would be a better choice if it can be found at this price point. Sadly, the cheapest I was able to find it was $369 refurbished from www.ecost.com . Regardless, still a great piece at that price.

Marc*F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the recommendations....the HK 325 sounds good but is a little over budget....Might go for the Pioneer D912 as I can get it for a fairly decent price and haven't heard anything really bad about it, so hopefully it won't be a bad choice :)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 912K will serve you very well. It's a 812K w/ automatic calibration and a small LCD at the top of the remote. I had the 810S and 811S and they were both very good performers for the price. I just finished a setup for a friend consisting of my old 810S (he's now the third owner of it lol), JBL N38 Mains, N Center, 4 N24s in the back, and a Sony WM500 in a 7.1 setup and he couln't be happier. For the $800 he payed ($150 for the receiverused from the guy i sold it to, $650 new for the rest) it would be very very hard to beat.

anthony_s

Agent
Just to confuse you more...
might want to check out HK's 230. This is a new model. There is also a updated 330, but that is way off the mark on price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks