What a surprise, Halflife 2 delayed

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sam Posten, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    http://www.shacknews.com

What completely blows my mind is that they waited until 5 days before the announced ship date to acknowledge it, AND the answer had to be pulled out from them like extracted teeth.

/boggle

Sam

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Gasp! Nobody cares????'

Sam

3. Anthony Connor

Anthony Connor Stunt Coordinator

Expected I think [​IMG] Wasn't this rumored a month ago ?

Regards

AXE

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

At GameStop we've had it listed as a 2004 title for nearly a month now...and yes, it does suck, especially after I saw the 120mb download video for it. Bumperooni

5. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

It's not too surprising to me personally, just upsetting. Gabe Newell kept saying the 30th and that the publisher had no idea what they were talking about. Why mislead us like that? The other reason I'm upset is, the delay was probably cause of Steam, and/or more work for NVidia cards(which I am not). I also have a feeling that the game will be delayed till it finds a nice release slot. Halo is 30th, Payne 14th, Call of Duty is Nov, Deus Ex Dec. Pretty tough comp. It will still win in sales, but I'm sure they want to avoid competing as much as possible.
    Thank you

6. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Enough GREAT shooters coming out in the next couple months... push HL2 back until it's ready, and so I don't have to download a half-gig patch to get it to run on my nVidia machine.

7. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I'm assuming they're going to release it early Nov., probably the 4th like Call of Duty. That way it comes out before the big DVD releases (Indiana Jones), and gives it enough time to put "#1 Game" blurbs on the box for the 2nd and following runs for the holidays. Plus, if id decides to release Doom III earlier than expected, the two releases won't cancel each other out. Remember, both Valve and id (and Infinity Ward, for that matter) are distributing through Activision. EA is getting it's ass whooped this holiday season!

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I would definitely rather have a fully developed game than a buggy ne, but what in the hell is the point of releasing an exact date and missing it by months. This would have been much easier Valve had just announced the game w/no direct street date, especially considering how adamant they seemed about hitting the date from the get-go.

9. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Ah well, just gives me more time to watch prices drop on that new PC HL2 will force me to buy. They can delay it into 2004 for all I care, too many other games to play until then.

10. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

11. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

12. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Two sites I've seen have had the HL2 release date as 11/14/03 for a while now. I wonder if they just pulled that out of their asses. Regardless, I'm kinda' glad it got pushed back a bit. It gives me more time to research which ATI card I should swap my Geforce 4 with. [​IMG]

13. Allan Petersen

Allan Petersen Stunt Coordinator

The HL2 benchmarking program should be available on the 30th. I guess we'll know what's required after that.

I recall reading that the GF4 wasn't too bad at running HL2 in DX8 mode. It even had the snazzy water effects with only minor loss in quality.

14. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yeah, well I blew $400 big ones on the Geforce 5900 and am very nervous about how this card is gonna run HL2, and the fact that its not running it in native DX9 mode really ticks me off...

Very seriously considering taking a 200 loss on it and getting the updated ATI card that will bundle with HL2, but then again I'm worried how well THAT one will work with Doom 3....

Sam

15. Chad Ferguson

All honesty, I think Nvidia is really work hard on this problem as is Valve. And I would say about no more than a month after release, Nvidia should have the problem down as much as they can. As for getting an ATI card, I would say hold off, the problems that Nvidia is running into on HL2, could be the exact opposite for Doom 3. Not sure how much of a difference there will be on that, but I know that the Nvidia hardware suites that engine more than ATI's will.
    Thank you

16. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

17. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Well I hate delays, count me in the camp that I'd rather see them get it RIGHT, than release a disk full of bugs...

Lots of other things to play in the meanwhile... [​IMG]

18. Chad Ferguson

Not to get totally off topic but I always thought one of the main problems was that HL2 engine uses 24 bit and the Doom engine is 16 and 32 bit. ATi is made specially for 24 bit, and Nvidia the other. That was one of the main problems was Nvidia would have to convert the textures to 32 bit which would slow down the process, or down convert it to 16 which quality is loss and still uses a little more power just to convert it. If you are right then I'm very happy. Seems weird that something like this would happen and only ATI would see it.