What a RIP OFF

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Sherman, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

I remember if I wanted to save money I would bring lunch to work.most of the time it was a sandwich. I would go to the deli and load up on cold cuts and cheese for the week. NOT ANY MORE.

WHY you ask?

COLD CUTS ARE FRIGGIN' EXPENSIVE NOW.

9.99 a lb for roast beef

8.99 a lb for chicken breast.

5.99-6.99 a lb for cheese.

Oh wait I almost forgot the salad bar is now 5.99 a lb.

last week for dinner I Bought some centre cut Pork Chops, Rice Pilaf, A Veg.and a small cake for desert.

Some times I get sirloin steaks for less then Roast beef at the deli.

That was less then sandwiches I made last week for lunch

Why is this.

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I had a Chef Salad, fries and an Iced Tea for lunch today - $19 [​IMG]
    and we're talkin' "dive" bar here...

3. Mark Sherman

I went to Quiznos's last week for lunch. I got a medium sub w/chips and a Drink.

$9.98.[​IMG]

Monday I met a friend for Lunch at the 99 ( bar and grille Kind of Place here in NE) on monday. I had a Country Chicken Lunch with Rice a Veg. plus 2 ice teas

Oh we were also given popcorn and cheese and crackers while we waited.

My meal was 9.95 well worth it

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I had a pitcher of beer, a small pizza, a salad and some zucchini, it was $16.62. Yummy!

5. Mark Sherman

Back on subject dont you think that the price of cold cuts are just CRAZY

6. MarkHastings

I never really thought so, but I guess that's because I only buy for myself and get like 1/4 pound.

But what about places like Shaw's and Stop and Shop...Use your 'shopping card' and get their brand, and it's a LOT less expensive. Shaw's Swiss cheese is just as good as the others.

7. Mark Sherman

most of the time I do use my card. Still I cant believe that its chaeper to buy a steak.

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I've noticed it too Mark. Sometimes I stop by Safeway after the gym to pick up supplies for work and grab a sandwich. The weak ass "poor boy" hoagie with no condiments (or even tomatos, just lettuce) costs $3.99. WTH?!?

Luckily, if you have the means Costco still does us cheapies the right way. You can get a whole roasted chicken there for $5.99. Make it cold, cut it up, and you've got pounds of chicken meat perfect for sandwiches for minimal cost. Buy a brick of cheese there and you could hole up for a winter almost [​IMG]

9. Mark Sherman

Being a single Guy buying in Bulk Just doesnt cut it.

10. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

That's kinda the same boat that I'm in... and yes, cold cuts can be somewhat pricey, but then again, I look at a lot of things and shake my head... I am trying to eat out less and cook more though. It's sometimes almost cheaper eating out unless you eat noodles all the time. [​IMG]

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Depends a lot on where you shop and what you buy. regular ham is very cheap so that's what I get most of the time.

12. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> You can get a whole roasted chicken there for $5.99.

Wow, only $2 more than WalMart.

13. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

But then you would have to go to WalMart.

14. andrew markworthy

Most foods in their raw state are cheap. As soon as you process them in any way, the price rockets. It's simply down to labour costs and in addition retailers can add a premium to the cost because they know people who buy pre-prepared foods are often willing to pay more to avoid the effort of cooking for themselves.

If you want to see a truly outragreous mark-up on food, have a look at the cost of popcorn at a movie theater.

But before you start feeling too outraged at food prices, you should take a look at rip-off Britain. All the costs you've quoted could be at least doubled over here. And the only thing that'd probably taste better would be the cheese.

15. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

I used to freeze the extra when I was single.

Remeber we are talking per pound of meet. That's a week's worth of lunches not a day. so with bread it comes to a $2.00 meal.

16. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Start eating Bologna

17. MarkHastings

Yeah, that is quite a bit of sandwich making, so it really isn't as bad as it seems.

18. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

F that.

19. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

Most of the meat I see for $8-$10 a pound is the premium stuff. My local grocery store Cub will have coupons every few weeks where you can buy a pound of turkey for $6 and get a pound of virgina ham for free. To me thats a great deal. I pick up a package of the Cub 16 singles cheese for $2 and a loaf of bread for $1.25 and I can have sandwiches for a month.

I usually will freeze one of the packages of meat. I will go out for lunch once a week as a treat, but when I go out I realize why i eat sandwiches everyday.

I can't complain, our grocery stores in this area are very competative and will have dirt cheap prices on a lot foods. Just locally we have Cub, Rainbow, SuperTargets Costcos, Sam's Club and the Wal-Mart Supercenters are starting to pop up in the area. You can also get great deals at Aldi's.

I guess for me its not hard to find great deals on deli meats.

Paul

20. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

The prices you are quoting would be for Boars Head around here. For about $6/lb you can get Sara Lee or Perdue cold cuts which are both good.