What's new

What a good box size for a 12" Titanic? (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I have a friend that wants a sub up grade, He currently has a MTX 12" powered sub that is not cutting it and would like to up grade and eventually go the DIY box way.

But right now he just want's to put the new 12"er in his existing MTX box which has a CF volume of 2.0. We know that is a bit small for the titanic but it would be temporary.
How will this woofer preform in this 2.0 cf box with the 100w MTX plate amp?

I have seen reference to a 5.50 cf box to be sweet for the 12" titanic, is this a good box to run? Would you suggest the Titanic as a good sub for his existing box with the thought that he will eventually up grade the box and to a more powerful amp, or would another speaker fit the ticket better in the

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
He probably wont see much of an improvement in the 2 cu ft enclosure powered with the 100w MTX amp. Also, he needs to be careful because chances are that MTX amp will have boost built into it specifically for the MTX driver which more than likely wont be needed with the Titanic. Of course that will all change with a different amp and possibly a different enclosure.

I assume we're speaking of sealed enclosures?

Also, are you talking about the original Titanic or the MkII? If its the MkII then 2.0 cu ft is perfect for it and 5.5 cu ft sealed is way too big. If you are speaking of the original Titanic then about 3-3.5 cu ft is good.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Hi Kyle , thanks for replying!

The MTX is vented, and we were planning on running the new woof vented also but tune the port to what would be best.
And yes we were looking at the MKII, the program that PE gives did not have the MKII listed so I assumed it was the same as the Titanic. So how could we tune this 2.0 box to make it shine, or do we want to seal it? I have never heard a sealed sub I like but perhaps I have not heard one done right!

Wes

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
The Titanic and Titanic MkII are completely different drivers so you'll want to make sure you are modeling the right one. The original Titanic typically wants a sealed enclosure where the MkII can be used in either one.

2 cu ft vented is really too small for the Titanic MkII and I wouldnt suggest using it.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Hmmmmm, So are you saying 2 cf sealed is correct for the MKII but 2.0 vented is not right?

So what would be the correct vented enclosure for the MKII vented with port size and length?

And Kyle is the MKII what you would suggest for price and performance matched to the PE 250w? You talked me into the Quatro for my enclosures and I am happy with the results but they don't have a MKII for 15" so it was not an option where as for the 12" it is!

Wes

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Yes, 2cf is fine for sealed but not vented. Typically, sealed enclosures will be smaller than vented with the same driver.

I would check out the Titanic MkII White Paper for several enclsosures that will work for it. Yes, it will be fine mated to a PE 250 watt amp.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
OK, Update!

My friend came over with his MTX sub and we compared it to my new Quatro 15"s. There was no comparison, he left here wanting 15"s now.

He is looking at the DVC 15"s but acording to PE program it is showing a 8"+ box size which is humongous. What would be a good preforming box for the DVC that did not take up his whole room. Would sealed really be the way to go? or could he port it with a 5 cubic foot box and have it go lower than the sealed?

How important is keeping the peak db close to 0 as it seems PE program seems to be tryng to do?

Thanks again!

Wes

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Wes,

Just an FYI, the Titanic MKII 12" driver will outperform the Dayton Quatro 15". Don't get wrapped up in the size. The DVC 15" would probably compete VERY well but as you've found out the needed box size could be a problem. If the box has to be small I would stick with the Titanic

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Dan,

Lets talk numbers, My quatros are in 4.0cf and preform pretty good (would like to increase to 5.5 some time soon).

What size would you recomend for the DVC? And what about the db peak value, do we need to give that any thought or just tune the box and make it the size we want to what and leave it at that.

There are so many oppinions we just do not know what to believe.

Wes

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Hey Wes,

There are so many opinions we just do not know what to believe.
There are lots of opinions, this is true. But sometimes there are just facts. The 12" Titanic MKII will move more air than the 15" quatro driver. And since they are made by the same company it would be logical that both are built with the same quality standards. Therefore you'd be better off getting a Titanic 12" over the Quatro 15" as long as it is in your budget.

The DVC 15" would probably be a better value so long as you can fit the larger box in your room. If you can, that's what I'd go with. If you can't then the Titanic is STILL a very good choice. Personally, I like the Titanic MKII in a 4ft^3 box tuned to 22hz. To get similar performance from the DVC 15" you'll have to jump up to a 7ft^3 box! That is a big difference in my opinion. You'll get about 2db more given the same power with the DVC and save about $25 on the driver. But you'll spend a little more on materials and you'll have a much heavier beast to move around. There are trade offs and there is no way around it.

Bottom line is, if he can't or doesn't want to fit a 7ft^3 box in his room that is ok. The titanic will still do VERY well. I doubt he'd be disappointed.

- Dan Hine

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks