What's new

What a Disaster (film)!! (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Bisset AND Carrera?? It HAD to be good! :D

But I don't know about James Fransiscus as Bob Spangler (instead of Jimbo) in this film! :laugh:

I think the question concerned City On Fire. Regardless, both it and When Time Ran Out are dreadful films.

SteveJKo

Second Unit
Anyone remember the Japanese film Tidal Wave? Like Godzilla in the '50's, the version that played in the US had an American actor (Lorne Greene) spliced into it. I remember seeing it on HBO and enjoying it's unconvincing yet intricate model work / special effects.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Daylight starring Stallone is in the tradition of cheesy-fun disaster movies. This is an epic that somehow I missed seeing in 1996. I've had it on blu-ray for almost ten years since I got it for "free" as a double-feature with Dante's Peak long, long ago, but somehow until last night I didn't watch it. Imho enjoyable for fans of the genre. Has anyone else seen it? Trailer below....

daylight movie poster.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yep, I've seen it several times and have it on HD-DVD. There are some really involving moments, and the death of one of the characters was really a surprise so early on, but the "happy" ending seemed very contrived.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I agree that the ending was pretty unbelievable, but up until then there was some minimum level of "realism" in most scenes. And as you say, a few emotional moment with the mayhem.

PS The PQ for the blu-ray is good enough, but at the start there are bits of dust, etc. I'd say the PQ is overall a "B-," which is what it also is for Dante's Peak. Strangely the disaster movies of the 70s mostly have better PQ than these two from the 90s.

One source says that the production budget of Daylight was as high as $90 million (with c.10m for Stallone?). Anyway, it looks like probably lost money, although with home video maybe it broke even?

Daylight
Domestic Total Gross: $33,023,469
Distributor: Universal Release Date: December 6, 1996
Genre: Action Drama Runtime: 1 hrs. 45 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13 Production Budget: N/A
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $33,023,469 20.7%
+ Foreign: $126,189,000 79.3%
= Worldwide: $159,212,469

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Here are my top disaster movies released from 1990-1999....

Titanic: A+
Dante's Peak: A-
Deep Impact: A-
Twister: A-
Independence Day: A-
Outbreak: B+
Daylight: B+
Armageddon: B
Volcano: C+

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since this thread was revived after three years, I guess I'll toss in a few of my faves.

Knowing
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
Last Night (an unknown Canadian one from around 1999)
Maggie (might not "fit" the category)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks