What a Disaster (film)!!

Stan

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure tied in my book for best. Worst - The Swarm, bloody awful. Earthquake - just plain cheesy (to me anyways)
I'm posting way to much, but one more.

I had completely forgotten about "The Swarm". Guess it was trying to cash in as the disaster genre was fading away. "Bloody awful" is a nice start to describe that piece of crap. There are many other choice words that I could use, but I'll behave :D

Coming in a close second would have to be Poseidon II, Beyond the Poseidon Adventure, whatever it was called. The infamous sophomore curse, it never should have been made. I recall Sally Field saying how much she regretted doing it, but she got a nice paycheck.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
I remember billboards in '78 proclaiming "The Swarm is coming". Great tag line. Terrible film. And the less said about Beyond The Poseidon adventure the better.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
In honor of this thread, I just upgraded my DVD copies of Poseiden Adventure, The Toweing Inferno and Earthquake to the blu ray.

I watched Poseiden Adventure last weekend. One thing that surprised me not having seen it in a while, the ship exteriors are all models. It's a 22 foot model and is very well done, but I noticed it this time. Also, after the ship is turned over and they make their way to the rear of the ship, it seemed a lot shorter then I realized. So the entire escape effort didn't seem as long and adverse as I thought. Though they certainly had some serious obstacles to get past.

One thing I'm not sure how to deal with Amazon yet is the cover art on Poseiden has some serious creases on it. It's a manufacturing defect that slipped passed the QC. It was shrink wrapped. So unless someone re-shrink wrapped it, this came from the factory that way. It was a third party seller as I recall. At least the disc plays fine so far.

Reactions: Tino

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
The DVD versions came with great packaging. Especially Inferno. Hung on to those babies!

Reactions: AshJW

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Like I said, I thought it was a lot of fun. And SENSURROUND in the 70's was great. I like that Lorne Greene plays Ava Gardeners father and he's like 3 years older than her. [emoji13]
SENSURROUND didn't always work. it depended on where you sat in the cinema. It had a very,very short life.

Bob Cashill

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I'm the guy who paid money to see The Swarm, Hurricane, Beyond the Poseidon Adventure, The Concorde, Meteor, and the aptly named When Time Ran Out in theaters. I survived the death throes of the genre, and lived to tell the tale.

Reactions: Mikael Soderholm

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Premium
Real Name
Don
My all time two favorite disaster flicks are Towering Inferno and Airport. I remember seeing Inferno in 70mm at the Crosstown Theatre in Memphis, Tn. when it was released first run. That was a "reel" treat.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

questrider

Supporting Actor
Premium
Real Name
Brian
This was the nail in the coffin of disaster films from oversaturation in 1980.

I'd include it in a collection of definitive '70s disaster films including:

Airport (1970)
The Poseidon Adventure (1972)
The Towering Inferno (1974)
Earthquake (1974)
When Time Ran Out (1980)

Another thing of note is that John Williams scored three of the five!

Reactions: benbess

sleroi

Second Unit
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I really enjoyed the swarm when it was released, saw it twice. Of course I was only eight. And my dad worked in one or two Houston center, where parts of it was filmed, and he took me with him a couple of weekends while he worked extra so I could watch them film. I mostly watched them from his office window, but I did get to see some extras in bee sting make up up close. That was really cool. So long story short I have great memories, but the films reputation is so horrible, im kind of afraid to watch it again.

Peter Apruzzese

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
But was it any good? The poster is intriguing, at least.
I played it to a very empty theatre for two weeks back in 1980.

It's really cheap looking and the acting is indifferent, at best. It is probably the worst of all the major disasters of the 70s, even worse than Meteor and Avalanche.

Reactions: Tino

benbess

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Does The China Syndrome count as something at the fringes of the disaster genre, or is it something else?

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
I, myself, would not qualify "The China Syndrome" as a disaster film;
but, rather, as a story that concerns "Near-Disaster".

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Yah. The China Syndrome is definitely NOT a disaster film in the context of the films we're discussing.