What's new

What a Disaster (film)!! (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Why is this in the testing Forums? Shouldn't it be in the movies section?

Oooops! I forgot to move it after I built it!
Oops.gif

Fixed!

Thanks, Tino!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Embrace it! I'm going to try to watch Poseiden Adventures and Earthquake soon too.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I actually read the book The Poseidon Adventure when I was a teenager...about the same time the movie was in theaters. Both made quite an impression on me.

The book--because it had a few racy passages. And the movie--because of the lovely Stella Stevens and Carol Lynley.

actors-stella-stevens-carol-lynley-and-red-buttons-in-a-scene-from-picture-id467315413

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I watched "Poseidon Adventure" last night - I liked it well enough, but it didn't really resonate. It was fun to watch, and started vanishing from my mind the moment it ended. For me, "Airport" was a much better movie - I was absolutely riveted during "Airport" from start to finish, found myself invested in the characters, and even though I was reasonably sure it would all work out just fine in the end, it was still suspenseful. I didn't really feel any of that during "Poseidon Adventure", much to my surprise.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
It's been a while since I saw it, but when I did, Earthquake help up pretty good, just like The Towering Inferno still does. I still like the idea of a large cast, slowly introduced to you as the disaster is pending, and you don't know who'll live and who'll die, which is why I still think the original ID4 was a great homage to those classic disaster movies, even including a fallen girl having the obligatory heart of gold, even making frineds with the first lady ;)
I can still remember the SENSURROUND of Earthquake, awesome!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's been a while since I saw it, but when I did, Earthquake help up pretty good, just like The Towering Inferno still does. I still like the idea of a large cast, slowly introduced to you as the disaster is pending, and you don't know who'll live and who'll die, which is why I still think the original ID4 was a great homage to those classic disaster movies, even including a fallen girl having the obligatory heart of gold, even making frineds with the first lady ;)
I can still remember the SENSURROUND of Earthquake, awesome!

I'm going to do Earthquake soon, and I've got the Towering Inferno disc on order - Towering Inferno is probably the one I'm looking forward to more out of those two.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I just bought the Airport collection so I'll check it out soon. But I LOVE The Poseidon Adventure. Every campy minute of it![emoji13]

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure tied in my book for best. Worst - The Swarm, bloody awful. Earthquake - just plain cheesy (to me anyways)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just bought the Airport collection so I'll check it out soon. But I LOVE The Poseidon Adventure. Every campy minute of it![emoji13]

I did start getting more sucked in towards the middle or last third, Shelly Winters really won me over.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
MODERATOR'S NOTE: This thread dedicated to Disaster Films was culled from a pre-existing thread on the topic of the Die Hard films--hence the occasional references to Die Hard (which might not make complete sense!). But let the love for destruction and mayhem (and Irwin Allen) begin! :D

Still in my top ten list, along with almost every James Cameron film. One of my favorites, much older, is "The Towering Inferno". I just enjoy these "disaster" types of movies.[/QUOTE

THE TOWERING INFERNO is a much loved favourite I saw it many times in 70mm on a huge curved screen.The recent Asian remake OUT OF INFERNO (in 3-D) is a classic.THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE was also great,especially in 70mm.Brillliant cast and story .A NIGHT TO REMEMBER is still the best of the best as far as disaster movies go for me.TITANIC was an enjoyable, mostly fictitious soap opera with a couple of dreadful special effects. They looked even worse in 70mm.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
"Earthquake" was awful. Some of the special effects, and the matte paintings were so obvious. The shaking of the camera, etc. Watch some of the scenes with windows falling out of buildings. There is one shot where there are people on a sidewalk, glass falling down, and the glass just magically vanishes. 14 years old and I noticed how bad the effects were.

Then that horrible effect with the elevator dropping and the cartoony blood splat.

"Towering Inferno" was so well done. Bought the DVD years ago, lots of behind the scenes stuff. Miniature building, helicopter fly-overs and more. It's not perfect, obvious that some of the flames from the outside view were with a miniature, but definitely one of the best "disaster" films.

AWFUL

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Awful is not the word for EARTHQUAKE. It was DREADFUL- truly the very worst of all the 70mm disaster movies.The acting by Heston was woeful.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Like I said, I thought it was a lot of fun. And SENSURROUND in the 70's was great. I like that Lorne Greene plays Ava Gardeners father and he's like 3 years older than her. [emoji13]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
In an especially memorable scene...if you know what I mean. [emoji12]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks