What's new

What a Disaster (film)!! (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
MODERATOR'S NOTE: This thread dedicated to Disaster Films was culled from a pre-existing thread on the topic of the Die Hard films--hence the occasional references to Die Hard (which might not make complete sense!). But let the love for destruction and mayhem (and Irwin Allen) begin! :D

I still love Die Hard 2. The pacing is generally great, and I think it's the first time I had seen an airport-related disaster movie. It recycles too much of the first Die Hard to be truly original, and it doesn't try to break outside the formula in the ways that made Die Hard With A Vengeance so good to me, but I still like it. Die Hards 1-3 will always have a place in my heart.

Still in my top ten list, along with almost every James Cameron film. One of my favorites, much older, is "The Towering Inferno". I just enjoy these "disaster" types of movies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Still in my top ten list, along with almost every James Cameron film. One of my favorites, much older, is "The Towering Inferno". I just enjoy these "disaster" types of movies.

I just watched all of the Airport movies, but I don't think I've ever seen all of The Towering Inferno - just a few minutes here and there while channel surfing. I'll add it to the list!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I just watched all of the Airport movies, but I don't think I've ever seen all of The Towering Inferno - just a few minutes here and there while channel surfing. I'll add it to the list!

It's really pretty good. Of course I was 14 when it came out.

Liked the original "Airport", but when Charlton Heston and Karen Black stepped in, it went downhill very fast.

It's been odd to see the different versions on TV. Many times it was extremely edited, like the "Lisolette" scene of her falling out of the elevator. But now things have changed and no edits any longer, and of course the DVD or BluRay are uncut.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Probably should have added a "Spoiler Alert", but then again, "Towering Inferno" was 42 years ago, even older than "Jaws".

Can't believe the movies that are now showing up on TCM as "classics". I'm only in my '50s, but might as well consider me 90 or more.

Would love to see a reboot. But with the WTC attacks, doubt it will ever happen.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Towering Inferno is awesome and still holds up with great effects, stunt work, John Williams music and a hell of an ending. One of the best disaster movies for sure.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Probably should have added a "Spoiler Alert", but then again, "Towering Inferno" was 42 years ago, even older than "Jaws".

Can't believe the movies that are now showing up on TCM as "classics". I'm only in my '50s, but might as well consider me 90 or more.

Would love to see a reboot. But with the WTC attacks, doubt it will ever happen.

So as far as disaster movies go, I think the "big two" that I have yet to see are Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure.. your vote for the better one of those would be for Towering Inferno?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
So as far as disaster movies go, I think the "big two" that I have yet to see are Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure.. your vote for the better one of those would be for Towering Inferno?

Actually consider both of them really well done, hard to choose a favorite, but I think I'd go with "The Towering Inferno".

The newer version of "The Poseidon Adventure", called "Poseidon", with Kurt Russell and Richard Dreyfuss was not good, I'd avoid that one and stick to the 1972 film. Obviously a bit dated, but very well done, especially when the ship flips over.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Nope. For me it's the Poseidon Adventure. Then again it's the first film I ever saw in a theater in 1972 so I'm biased. Towering Inferno is probably most people's choice I would say. Earthquake a distant third ( even though I love it too) a great John Williams triple feature.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nope. For me it's the Poseidon Adventure. Then again it's the first film I ever saw in a theater in 1972 so I'm biased. Towering Inferno is probably most people's choice I would say. Earthquake a distant third ( even though I love it too) a great John Williams triple feature.

I didn't even think about Earthquake. Looks like I've got more stuff for the list!

Stan

Senior HTF Member

"Earthquake" was awful. Some of the special effects, and the matte paintings were so obvious. The shaking of the camera, etc. Watch some of the scenes with windows falling out of buildings. There is one shot where there are people on a sidewalk, glass falling down, and the glass just magically vanishes. 14 years old and I noticed how bad the effects were.

Then that horrible effect with the elevator dropping and the cartoony blood splat.

"Towering Inferno" was so well done. Bought the DVD years ago, lots of behind the scenes stuff. Miniature building, helicopter fly-overs and more. It's not perfect, obvious that some of the flames from the outside view were with a miniature, but definitely one of the best "disaster" films.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Josh, it's a tough call between The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno, I thought there was some good character stuff going on in The Poseidon Adventure. Gene Hackman has some fun in the role. It's been some years since I've seen it, it's been longer since I've seen The Towering Inferno. It has some great effects, all star cast led by MacQueen and Newman and it takes place in San Francisco, right up the road from home.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
"Earthquake" was awful. Some of the special effects, and the matte paintings were so obvious. The shaking of the camera, etc. Watch some of the scenes with windows falling out of buildings. There is one shot where there are people on a sidewalk, glass falling down, and the glass just magically vanishes. 14 years old and I noticed how bad the effects were.

Then that horrible effect with the elevator dropping and the cartoony blood splat.

"Towering Inferno" was so well done. Bought the DVD years ago, lots of behind the scenes stuff. Miniature building, helicopter fly-overs and more. It's not perfect, obvious that some of the flames from the outside view were with a miniature, but definitely one of the best "disaster" films.
And yet Earthquake won an Oscar for visual effects. I agree some of the effects don't hold up today but many do and seeing it with a packed theater in 1974 in SENSURROUND was awesome.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
And yet Earthquake won an Oscar for visual effects. I agree some of the effects don't hold up today but many do and seeing it with a packed theater in 1974 in SENSURROUND was awesome.

You just reminded me of the Sensurround thing, that was actually pretty cool. The theatre I saw it in had these gigantic speakers that played the vibrations during the shaking scenes.

And it really won an Oscar for effects? That's amazing, considering how "cheesy" they were. Guess I was born a critic, passing judgment even at the age of 14 when it came out.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Is it the only fictional "Disaster" film that got a Best Picture nom?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
005-the-poseidon-adventure-theredlist.jpg

635929722745485963-PNIBrd2-12-31-2015-Republic-1-D008-2015-12-29-IMG-PNIBrd-12-21-2012-Re-1-1-M5D0BSGQ-L734857950-IMG-PNIBrd-12-21-2012-Re-1-1-M5D0BSGQ.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Surprisingly, Towering Inferno isn't available to rent digitally - just for purchase. The digital purchase is $15, and Amazon had the Blu-ray for about $9, so I've just ordered the disc!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Careful Josh. The Vudu hdx copy of Towering Inferno is pan and scan. :thumbsdown:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Careful Josh. The Vudu hdx copy of Towering Inferno is pan and scan. :thumbsdown:

Tino as I mentioned, it's no longer available for rental at any of the streaming services, so I have ordered the Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks