What's new

What a difference center speaker position can make! (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Joe, I have a smaller, direct view set with my center below and in front... sounds infinitely better than when I had the speaker on top of the set. And it's not just placement, but also getting rid of the resonances from using a TV as a stand - TVs weren't meant to be stands and they're terrible as stands!

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
rich,

you gave me the incentive to try the cc below & in front of the tv. remarkably, it does make a difference. at first i wanted to use this stand from ikea that tilts the speaker but the cc is too narrow & does not fit. then i tried a wooden stool and it sounds really good. male voices have more bass and there is a fullness that was missing before. (tho i did not really notice it before). now my concern is what to permanenty sit my speaker on. the stool is a bit too high (interferes with the tv remote) any suggestions?, anyone?

tia

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
It is trivial to go to Home Depot and make your own center stand. I make all of my own stands, custom fit, out of MDF. A little black paint, spikes where you please, and you may dial in whatever height you wish on the order of tens of dollars.

M.

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
you are lucky to have that technical ability. i, on the other hand, have absolutely none. my previous attempts to build anything have resulted in much frustration on my part and laughter on the part of my so called friends. if i am unable to find something suitable i may give it a try thou. i believe every few years or so it's a good thing to humble oneself with at least the attempt.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I use a wood technology stand of the 12" variety (they also make 16" and I think 22" models). I got it through one of the netscape stores for about $60. I'd prefer something with greater mass, but it looks good and sounds much better than on top of the TV!

Judy Y

Stunt Coordinator
I had an energy C300, I believe, which sounded much better on a stand in front of the tv. I then went to the Wharfedale Pacific speakers and center channel and always found it to be too bassy with not much high end. Finally, I tried it back on top of the tv, (with my old lovan director stand, angled downward), and IT sounds better ON TOP of the tv than on a stand in front of it. Strange, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks