What a crappy day at kinkos?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett Hancock, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

Jun 17, 2001
    So I went to Kinkos today to try and convert some of my snapper covers. I saved the instructions from a reader mail over at dvdfile.com from a few months ago on how to do this. Basically he said to copy it 97% of the original cover onto a 8.5" bye 14" piece of paper. I took along with me South Park and A Clockwork Orange and a dvd case. Anyhow I get into the store and I ask this employee how do I do this and I show her my printed out instructions. The conversation went like this.
    "Hi how do I reduce this to 97% copy this onto a 8.5" by 14" paper."
    "Uhh well that isn't right. If your downsizing it then you dont need 8.5" by 14"
    "Ok then how do I copy it so it will fit into the case."
    "Well you don't need 8.5 by 14"
    "Well can u show me what I should use then"
    "Those are copyrighted and you have to have permission to copy it."
    "So I can't even make a copy to put into this dvd case for myself."
    SO anyway bye now I am just ticked. But I let her leave and decide to just try it sense the guys at dvdfile know what there talking about. I proceed to start copying and she runs over and starts yelling at me telling me to stop. Then she kicked me out of the store. Kinkos sure does suck.[​IMG]
  2. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Dec 1, 2000
    I'd report her to management. I doubt they want their employees playing copyright cop.
  3. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Jan 27, 1999
    Some of the morons at Kinkos get a little over zelous. I once took in a photograph I had taken to make a copy for use at a wake for a friend. The stupid broad at Kinkos wouldn't let me do it because it "might be copyrighted". I asked her what made her think that. She said because it looked so professional. Since it was my photograph, there were no copyright marks or anything else on it. I told her she was the stupidest person I had ever seen.

I went to another Kinkos and copied it without any problem. Next day I got a hold of the regional manager and he was dumb founded and said he would take care of the problem. I never saw her in there after that.

Your material was actually copyrighted, mine wasn't and I still had a problem. I never take any work to Kinkos any more.

4. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

May 28, 1999
    I'm not a fan of Kinko's and any dealing I've ever had with them led me to believe they hire some real brainiacs.

{Satan's pal mode activated}

They're probably having to follow what is company policy in order to keep Kinko's out of possible litigation hassles.

{Satan's buddy mode deactivated}

The only real practical way around this is to either buy one of those scanner/color printer/copier devices that are available for around $150 or find a locally owned shop that probably won't have this hangup.
  5. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Apr 4, 1999
    Brian W. Ralston
    I went into Kinkos once to copy some of my own musical scores and music (Since my scores are 11x17 Tabloid size. This was a big orchestral score THAT I HAD COMPOSED.) I had placed a copyright notice on the scores when I created them in my Finale music notation software. At first they said, "What is this? It is copyrighted. We can't do it."

"I am the composer," I said, "Of course it is copyrighted. I copyrighted it."

She then looked at me with a weird look like she had never seen the owner of a copyright and preceeded to help me make my copies.

It was actually kind of funny. It was like they are just programmed that when they see a copyright, they can never make copies.

In reality, I would have appreciated the fact that she was paying attention to the copyright, but her first question should have been, "Is this your music?" I would have said "yes" and she would have simply copied my order without hesitation. I guess it was her assumption that the materials I was handing to her could not have belonged to me that ticked me off a little.
  6. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Nov 27, 2000
    Just another reason I dislike going to Kinko's. It just seems like another place for people to get into your business. [​IMG]
  7. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Sep 3, 1999
    honestly, you'll get better results if you buy a cheap USB scanner and color printer for your PC. and if you're going to be doing this in any sort of volume, it's cheaper in the long run too.
    also, IMO, simply scanning and downsizing to 97% or whatever is not going to give you good results. Scanning, resizing, and cleaning up in photoshop (or similar) is the way to go. You can find a lot of covers done like that at my website www.dvdcoverart.com