What a Buffy bargain!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ric Easton, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I just picked up the Buffy season 2 boxset for 42.99. What a deal! 22 Episodes for less than half the price of the Star Trek TNG box sets. This set comes with 3 very good documentaries as well as other extras. Even with paying the MSRP (at 59.99) this set is a real bargain compared to other hour long dramas. Too bad those other folks can't drop their prices a bit!

Now for the bad news. The hubs are rather tricky. They are a little clear plastic push down tab design that I have not seen before. I already broke one of them off trying to get the disc out... Grrrrrr, Arrrggghhh! Here I am showing my wife how to do it...(I bought the set for her) and I immediately break off one of the tabs. I don't think she was very impressed with my technical savvy.

One other piece of news... There was a small ad for season 3 included inside. It said "Coming in winter 2003!"
    It looks like they will be sticking to their current 2 seasons a year release schedule. Maybe this will give them some time to rework those hub tabs!

-Ric

2. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

This set will be $39.99 at Costco on release date.

3. Skoobooz

Skoobooz Stunt Coordinator

Jay
    Um...from where did you pick this up?
    (Admin note: Please post no followups listing the stores that break street dates on DVD releases. Thanks.)

4. EricCr

EricCr Stunt Coordinator

Are you sure it said winter 2003? Fox's web site says coming this winter, that being the end of 2002 or early 2003. If they wait till winter 2003 for season 3 that would be a year gap between set 2 and 3.

5. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Season 2: June 2002
    Season 3: "winter 2003" = January-March 2003
    6 to 8 month gap.
    That's still a long wait [​IMG] Season 3 is the best one!

6. BradyB

BradyB Stunt Coordinator

Hey Ric,
    I hate those little tab things too... I find that after you get the disk out once, take a nail file to them and just shave'em down a wee bit. Makes getting the disk out much easier. I 2 have broken a few of those. [​IMG]

7. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It'll probably be $39.99 at Best Buy.
    Those hubs ARE tricky. I think Ivy Hill makes them
    You push down on the tab, and take the disc out like taking a coat off a hook

9. Martyn S

Martyn S Auditioning

Have the episodes got the "previously on Buffy" segments on them that were missing from the R2 release that I have. I'm interested to see if they have as I think the fact they were missing from the R2 release really ruined a good release. That and the rubbish packaging.

10. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I don't know if the previously on Buffy segments are on there. All we looked at last night were the extras. I will check it out tonight. There are so many plot developments going on in previous episodes that those little segments really help out with the back story, so I too hope they are there. Thanks for the tips on those crazy hubs! I'm still a little ticked I broke one!

-Ric

11. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

Costco.com has this price listed on their web site. Prices in the stores are usually the same.

12. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I have watched 2 1/2 discs of the set and there are a few last times on Buffy.

The quality is pretty good, but there are 1 or 2 scenes in one of the episodes where its very grainy. Could be the way the scene was filmed since its not the entire episodes.

Before buying season 1 on dvd i never watched Buffy on TV. Im looking forward to future releases

Capt

13. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    Cool! you already have season 2! Lucky! I have been completely addicted to this show since FX started to show the reruns... and now our cable company finally added UPN and WB so I get to watch the new episodes as well...
    I am hoping they will release Angel as well since its the spin-off of Buffy and some of the Buffy Episodes were 2 parters starting on Buffy and ending on Angel!
    I have season 2 pre-ordered at amazon.com but of course they don't send theirs out till release date.
    As much as I would like to see this series come out faster I am in a way glad they are taking it a little slow since there is so many other TV box sets I am collecting like X-Files and Star Trek:TNG! this addiction is getting expensive! [​IMG]

14. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

$40.00? damn. I hope B5 will have such a nice price. [​IMG]

15. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer