would provide in your opinion the best picture quality
adopting the following scenarios:
(a) Money no object
(b) A budget of $250
(c) Best value for money

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

you seem to be contradicting yourself..... ;^)

Best and best priced ?

I honestly would recommend Belden 1694A cable made up as a component trio by Blue Jeans.

I own a ZU Megular component which MANY people on different boards swear is the best component set they have ever used. I tried both (and own both) and run my DVD's through the Belden by Blue Jeans. I also use a Z-Sleeve ERS cylinder over the 1694A, but I ran the same sleeve over the ZU and I am back to the Belden. Save yourself some money is my recommendation.

BOK

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Ok Brian, be nice. :)

I think he is trying to determine how cable recomendations would differ based on amount of money - right?

Kevin*H

Stunt Coordinator
Spot on Bob,I am keen to get as good a picture as possible
and would like to hear from people who believe they have got this from either of the three routes I laid out.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If best means lowest attenuation losses for a given run then a variety of RG6's from either Belden, Canare, Commscope, Gepco, and tons of others that are designed for video transmission (100% copper center conductors) would do the trick. If best also means long term reliability of the connection and essentially imperviousness to possible atmospheric oxidation, then you'd look for an RCA that was soldered or welded on. OTOH, you might well find that your needs are adequately met by generic dbl shielded RG59 component cables for under $10 as the attenuation losses for typical home theater runs would be visually indistinguishable.

Jerzy

Grip
I recently completed my home theater. I have a Sharp 10000 series DLP projector driven by a Denon 5900 DVD player over 30' cables. I tried many different cables for the component connections, including cheap RG59, RG6, Monster and others. I finally settled on a 30' length of E57891 made by Standard Wire & Cable. This cable is a 5 core coax of a fairly thin guage, I used 3 of the core wires for the component signals, and the remaining two for an S-video connection. The price of this cable is about $3/ft. The point of this post is that I saw NO visible differences between any sets of cable that I used. The only reason I ended up using this wire was because it was the neatest and most flexible.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
Any recommendations on cheap component cable?
I've heard good things about BlueJeans cables but over $50 for 12 ft is still a bit rich for me.

I'm running a Panny XP30 to a Sony KP57WS510 (if that info matters).

Thanks!

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
Personally (if I didn't make my own), I'd go for the blue jeans cables and save the rest of your cash for something else.

As far as soldered/welded connections being impervious to atmospheric oxidation, this is incorrect. First, the actual soldering process induces some oxidation. Secondly, it is still open to the atmosphere and is exposed to oxidation. Thirdly, good crimp connections are oxygen free.

If you want a similar cable to the ones by Blue Jeans Cables, drop me a PM. I make custom cables using all Canare parts and tools. The component cable is made with the V3-5CFB cable, RCAP ends, and Canare strain relief boots. I also coat all connections with Caig ProGold connection enhancer.

CJ

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Chris dude,

Try the Monster 3 MV3CV component cables. Supposedly it won some kind of AV award for picture quality a few years back. It's their highest-end video cable and costs around $90 for a six foot set. If I understood your post about Blue Jeans cable then the equivalent set would run around $150 or maybe you meant $50 for a complete set (three cables) at 12 feet which would be cheaper than my suggestion. Dunno.....

Dude,

Chester

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks