What's new

What 50" display would you recommend? Here are my requirements: (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The 52631 doesn't seem to be well-reviewed, so I suspect there are some deficiencies in color/contrast for that model. The 57" model is probably too large for my room, but screw it, I'm just looking at moving some things around to make it fit if its image quality is up to snuff.

Brian D H

Second Unit

Well, I'm really happy for you. Glad that worked out for YOU, but I thought that I started this thread... geez! (Sarcasm with a smile :D LOL) I have WAF to consider. I convinced her that I could fit a "4 foot screen" in our living room, but there's no way I can approach 5'. (Naturally I interpreted "4 foot" to mean the width and not the diagonal measurement - hence a 52" screen. ;))

Sooo anyway... If the Mits DLP is out due to screen size requirements. What ELSE has good black levels and contrast, and good upconverting of 480 AND is under 52"?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, you should still take a gander at the 52" model, and see if it's good enough. Users at Cnet liked it.

Also, the 57" model is "only" 51.5" wide. What's 3.5" amongst married folk?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So I look a gander at the Mits WD-57732 at HHGregg, and I don't know if the display model was a little messed up or not, but I needed to bump up the sharpness quite a bit to get it to my liking (plus mess with a few other video settings to help in that department), but what I fear showed up when I watched about 20 minutes of HDN on component video feed: the bulb's brightness, even after I turn down the brightness until black levels got murky, was too bright for extended viewing for my own eyes, YMMV. Also, the screen was in the middle of the pack for SSE, still noticeable in well-lit areas of the screen, and not to my liking if avoidable. So, it was good to see the set in action, but it also went down lower on my list of possibilities.

The other RP sets (JVC, Sony, Samsung, Hitachi) on display didn't sway me to investigate further for those model. I also saw a 60"+ Toshiba model whose screen seemed to be even more muted (a little dull, actually).

I did get to see the Panny TH-50PX60U without the clayface issue, and its image was very pleasing to my eyes, it was simply neutral and solid viewing from about 9 feet away, and I suspect I could stare at it for longer periods of time. So, I appear to be back on the plasma train. HHGregg was selling it for around $1800 (sale ends on March 3rd this week), and the nearby Best Buy also had it for that price due to local price competition. I still think I'm going to hold out for the TH-50PX600U model for the extras on that model.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Pardon my interruption one more time: for those keeping score:

I finally placed an order for the Panasonic TH-50PX600U on Monday, so now I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping it survives its trip up to my home. This model is definitely being cleared out for the newer Panasonic plasma models, so there are good prices to be had.

MikeMeehan

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick,let us know how everything turns out. I can't make up my mind between the 42px600u and the 50px600u.My viewing area goes from 7 feet to 15 feet. Room lighting can be controled to some degree. Any thoughts on which one I should choose?

dave willie

Auditioning

where do you see this?

I've read good reviews of the larger Mitsu screens and almost every one of the circuit city customer reviews were very positive...7 pages worth..

just wondering because I'm thinking of getting the 52"

thanks!!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It could have been one online review that soured me on this set (or perhaps at the time, I have this model terribly confused with another model - I was going through many different candidates, some reviewed well, others did not) as it actually was a hands-on review, and not simply a buyer's testimonial. But, if you see it and like what you see, by all means, keep it on the list of viable candidates.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dave:

I really like the Mits DLPs for SD and non HD DVD. It is one of the reasons I bought one a couple of years ago. I was very impressed with the 57 and 65 inch 1080p DLP sets that I saw out a CEDIA. The only issue I have had with it is bulb life. Mine only lasted a couple of years. I picked up a 62 inch model and the 65 inch is only 1/4 wider than my 62. They have gone with a 6 color wheel and a 150 watt bulb with the newer sets.

Parker

Brian D H

Second Unit
Well, I finally got into a store to have a look. The set I liked the best was the JVC LCoS (52 inch). I am aware that the green is a little off on these sets, but everything else looks great as far as the picture (and price) is concerned. (According to CNET the green is not that accurate and looks a little "lime" colored.)

Three questions:
1) Can it be calibrated to make the green acceptable? (I assume so)
2) I am really worried about bulb life. I hear stories of these bulbs lasting only a few months. Have they been improved? [EDIT: UPDATE - I got a post on a different thread that says that this is not an issue on the current models. :)]
3) Anything else I missed? Try to talk me out of this and/or suggest something else (but I really do like the picture on the JVC).
4) No iris control! I have to jump up to the 56" size for that.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I won't try to talk you out of it, because I think you made the right choice (see my first post, in this thread). I know there was an issue with a green blob, in the earlier Sony SXRD tvs, but haven't heard of one with the JVCs. It can probably be adjusted out, on the demo set in the store. Right out of the box, there definitely shouldn't be a problem.

I've also not heard of bulb problems with them. I know of a couple of people that have the JVC sets, and they've not mentioned bulb problems yet. I have read where someone bought a JVC, and the store gave them a spare bulb, at the time of purchase. You might want to ask about one. Tell the manager of the store, you've heard of bulb problems, and if he'll give you an extra bulb, you'll buy from him. Is JVC still giving the free stand with the tv, or is that just some dealers doing that? Best Buy, Sears, and Sam's Club was where I saw that free stands came with the tv.

Good luck! I'm jealous!!!!!!!

BTW.........
After your "break in" time is over, you might want to consider an ISF calibration of it, for the absolute perfect picture. It will probably cost from $400 to $600, but folks that's had it done say the picture is stunning afterwards. Contact Gregg Loewen (moderator here). He'll hook you up. :)

Brian D H

Second Unit

OK, OK, I'll go look! I know that you prefer the Panny Plasma, already. ;)

For those keeping score it's down to:

1) JVC 56" LCoS (DILA).
I don't want the 52" because of a lack of iris control, but this set may be too big since I'm only 8 1/2 feet from the screen.

2) Sony 50" LCos (SXRD).
Same price as the 56" JVC (which makes Sony too high) and I'm concerned about 2:3 pull down and artifacts in fast moving images according to CNET.

3) Panasonic Plasma 50" (I'll look at this if I'm sensitive to SSE)
A little cheaper than the above sets, and Patrick loves it! I have some concern about burn-in and the fact that it's not 1080P since I will be jumping on the Hi-Def DVD bandwagon at some point (Samsung just announced a dual-format player).

Craig

Second Unit

Yup, and Brandsmart has it for $1500 ($1499 actually). I bought one from Circuity City for $1599 last week and had it installed on the wall today, it's a nice set. I noticed that CC no longer has them in stock and I imagine they'll fly off the shelf at the other places also.

I probably would have gone for a 1080P LCD, but since the plasma is located in the family room, and I can't have a real home theater setup in there, I jumped at the Panny at the closeout price.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If 52" was ok, I doubt 56" will make much difference in viewing distance. It's just 4". I think you'll still be fine. Stand back that far in the store, and see.

Plasmas have a good looking picture, but they reflect any and all lights (lamps, etc.), on that glossy screen. I couldn't handle that very long...........

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks