What's new

What 3 TV Shows do you want most on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
To piggyback on the good discussion going about movies wanted on Blu-ray, how about TV shows? Which three series are you most eager to see?

Mine:

1. The Outer Limits (1960s version) -- The current DVDs are positively awful, with some of the poorest audio ever heard on any show released on home video. Getting it restored for Blu-ray would greatly enhance these episodes. (Since the original Twilight Zone reportedly is being prepped for Blu-ray next year ... here's hoping OL gets the same.)

2. Lost in Space -- Again, no restoration work was done when this was put out on DVD. Third season, in particular, looks atrocious. Fox needs to restore all three seasons and release it on Blu. (They've restored Irwin Allen's other series, so it's time for LIS.)

3. Batman (1960s) -- I realize copyright entanglements may keep this from ever seeing the light of day. But since it's yet to have any sort of official home video release, Blu-ray would be the way to go. (Think what those vibrant colors would look like in HD ...)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
30 Rock*
Arrested Development
West Wing

*30 Rock not so much as i've PVR'd alot of them, but i could free up alot of space if they were on bluray

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Angel - I'd probably pick up early Buffy if they did this (it suffers from the same problems as SG-1 below), but where I think Buffy only went downhill after season 3, Angel only got stronger over its run.

Babylon 5 - assuming they didn't screw up the transfer again, of course; but if they were willing to do it right, I'd even take it with the effects as-is and only the live-action at high-def.

Stargate: SG-1/Atlantis -- even if early seasons didn't have their effects done in high-def, the MPEG-2 compression wasn't kind to the 16mm material, especially on discs with five episodes. (I'm cheating and combining these two given how much they cross over, and that I would have to think real hard about buying any Atlantis after the first season. )

There's others I'd like to see, but only one or two others that I'd also shell out for, and I don't expect to ever see them on Blu-ray (Deep Space Nine and Farscape).

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The Wire, The West Wing. I am waiting for BD mostly for space reasons.

Somebody mentioned 30 Rock. I will buy new seasons in BD as available (like The Office and South Park), but likely (so I say now...) won't go back and replace DVD. Look forward to them on BD.

Anything old shot on film or newer in HD is fair game for me. Preferably adventure or action/drama...not a lot more to "see" in comedy in HD, but with the decreasing DVD/BD price differential and the space issue might as well get BD. I've already got my biggie series (The Prisoner), so I'm coasting downhill for now.

Edit: I *really* wish I could have said Curb as my third choice, but you know why I didn't if you've seen the video... I will say Deadwood, it's on my "notify when available" list from amazon but I forgot...

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Batman - The Animated Series
Twin Peaks
DuckTales

Now I'm beginning to wonder if the animated series actually used film. Does anyone know? Anyway, it would be nice to see them in a higher quality than they are on the dvds. And I'm actually waiting for Twin Peaks to arrive on Blu-ray so I can finally start watching the series.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
1. Twin Peaks--the SD set is gorgeous, but HD will do wonders for David Lynch's photography and sound design.
2. The Twilight Zone--again, the SD sets are fantastic, but the show will look even better in HD.
3. The Outer Limits--the SD sets are adequate, but it really would benefit greatly from an HD upgrade.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Brian Borst

Batman - The Animated Series
Twin Peaks
DuckTales

Now I'm beginning to wonder if the animated series actually used film. Does anyone know? Anyway, it would be nice to see them in a higher quality than they are on the dvds. And I'm actually waiting for Twin Peaks to arrive on Blu-ray so I can finally start watching the series.
DuckTales was done on film, but the post-production was done on tape. The credits would have to be re-done in HD.

My list of what shows I want the most on Blu-Ray (having to narrow it down from lots of candidates, disqualifying anything shot on tape even though they could fit whole series on a few discs):

I Love Lucy (the 1080p masters and oodles of extras are already there, and 2011 is the show's 60th anniversary and Lucille Ball's centennial…hint hint, CBS/Paramount)
The Simpsons (with the 20th season coming to Blu-Ray, how about the actually good episodes from the 20th century, Fox?)
The Waltons (because the DVDs range from passable to terrible)

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Originally Posted by TravisR

In alphabetical order, I'd say The Twilight Zone, The Wire and The X-Files (yes, I know that XF probably won't happen because it was edited on tape).
It's funny that the X-Files producers had the foresight to frame later seasons for future HD broadcasts, but the show was edited on tape. I was hoping BD releases for this and my preferred Millennium would happen in the near future, but I guess that won't happen. :(
Would love to own The Wire on BD as well--one of the best series ever made!

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
2. Angel

Everything else I really want is currently being released, there's some stuff I would buy at some point but wouldn't be release day purchases so I won't list them.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by PianoPlayer
1. The Outer Limits (1960s version) -- The current DVDs are positively awful, with some of the poorest audio ever heard on any show released on home video. Getting it restored for Blu-ray would greatly enhance these episodes. (Since the original Twilight Zone reportedly is being prepped for Blu-ray next year ... here's hoping OL gets the same.)
I vote for The Outer Limits, too. I thought the DVDs looked and sounded pretty good, but they'd look much better on BD, w/ lossless 2.0 mono sound, subtitles, and I'd love to see some documentary material about the production of the series.

I don't have a 2nd and 3rd wish. This is the only series I'm longing to see on BD.

Doug

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
if they did a real remaster job ,Miami Vice would look fantastic ,the first and second season were the best looking
TV show ever,with shows shot on location in Miami ,But I don't have any hope Universal would bother ,plus they
are 1:33:1

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by MatthewA

1.33:1 shows should be 1.33:1. Period.
Most cases, I agree. But there are some shows that were aired in 4:3 but composed for 16:9, like Babylon 5--there I think widescreen is the right way to go.

(Note how I say "composed" and not "protected"--this would leave Buffy as 4:3.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks