What's new

What 3 films do you want most on Blu? (1 Viewer)

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Other than the obvious Star Wars and Indy:

1. Gangs of New York (No, I don't consider that EE/DNR mess a release.)
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Lilo & Stitch

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by Derrick King

Seven Samurai
Suspiria / Inferno / The Mother of Tears
Dellamorte Dellamore
Fat chance of getting Dellamore on Blu-ray (its also one of my most-wanted) since its owned by Fox, and you know how they feel about stuff like this. Anchor Bay did a decent job with their DVD although for a film like this I expected a somewhere more lavish package.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito34

Fat chance of getting Dellamore on Blu-ray (its also one of my most-wanted) since its owned by Fox, and you know how they feel about stuff like this. Anchor Bay did a decent job with their DVD although for a film like this I expected a somewhere more lavish package.
Not sure what "stuff like this" means (mid-90s horror? Rupert Everett films?) or how Fox feels about it, but the only DVD I've watched was put out by Anchor Bay.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow

Quote:

Not sure what "stuff like this" means (mid-90s horror? Rupert Everett films?) or how Fox feels about it, but the only DVD I've watched was put out by Anchor Bay.
Quirky, cult-ish, obscure, you name it. Fox gave Anchor Bay license to release a handful of movies and this was one of 'em. One of those situations where a major Hollywood studio buys the rights to a movie they have no business buying the right to because the film doesn't fit the studio mold - Miramax does this often. The rights to Dellamore have reverted back to Fox. I doubt we'll see a Blu of this anytime this century

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Quirky, cult-ish, obscure, you name it. Fox gave Anchor Bay license to release a handful of movies and this was one of 'em. One of those situations where a major Hollywood studio buys the rights to a movie they have no business buying the right to because the film doesn't fit the studio mold - Miramax does this often. The rights to Dellamore have reverted back to Fox. I doubt we'll see a Blu of this anytime this century
Well, can't say as I agree. Fox has released Blu-rays of 28 Days Later, Boondock Saints, Donnie Darko, Firefly, Juno, Little Miss Sunshine, Napoleon Dynamite, Office Space, The Secret Life of Bees, Sideways, and Two Girls and a Guy, amongst others, and a lot of them are definitely quirky, cult-ish, and in some cases even obscure. I wouldn't count it out. In any case, Amazon still show the rights belong to Anchor Bay, as does the official link. Seems to me they wouldn't be able to sell them new if they didn't have the rights anymore. And Anchor Bay thrives on quirky, etc.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Think of Dellamorte Dellamore on the same level as a Joe D'Amato film, a Fulci, something like Zombi Holocaust, that's what I meant Jesse. Fox wouldn't be caught dead putting out something like that - that's why they let Anchor Bay do it. Amazon is probably trying to sell off remaining stock of the movie but Anchor Bay no longer has the rights to these movies if they wanted to put out new Blu-ray SE's of them now.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Think of Dellamorte Dellamore on the same level as a Joe D'Amato film, a Fulci, something like Zombi Holocaust, that's what I meant Jesse. Fox wouldn't be caught dead putting out something like that - that's why they let Anchor Bay do it. Amazon is probably trying to sell off remaining stock of the movie but Anchor Bay no longer has the rights to these movies if they wanted to put out new Blu-ray SE's of them now.
If they didn't want to be "caught dead" releasing it, then that of course begs the question of why they would buy back the rights. It doesn't make sense, especially since Anchor Bay and others like Blue Underground and Severin have been releasing cult/exploitation/etc films by Fulci et al (sometimes licensed from majors) on Blu-ray for a while now. And there are foreign distros that could release it, too.

Anyway, I sent a request to Anchor Bay asking if they still had the rights, and if so, are they planning a BD release. We'll see if they respond.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I have a lot of Bluray blind buys!!! (even though like so many on here I already own both LD & or DVD versions):

Star Wars Trilogy(s)
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Back To The Future Trilogy
Alien + Aliens
True Lies
The Abyss
Titanic
Armageddon
ET
Galaxy Quest
Mission To Mars
What Lies Beneath
Jurassic Park1
AI
Marnie
Vertigo
The Birds
Panic Room
War Of The Worlds (2005)
The Great Escape
Superman2 (1980 original theatrical cut)
Casper
Red Eye
Young Sherlock Holmes
Gremlins 2

If I could only have 3 then I would chose digitially remastered frame by frame restored versions of:

Marnie
Vertigo
The Birds

Most new films are terrible and lack any emotional impact (even though the technical aspects are now quite advance) when you watch these old classics you realise how far the lost art of filmaking has fallen!!!

The studios made a huge tactical mistake this year by not prepping more classic films for Bluray as there is a big market for these and here in the UK especially HDTV's are very popular (something like 2 out of 3 households have them now). I know people who have 3-4 HDTV's in their homes in different rooms!! The market for hi-def content is growing rapidly in Western Europe and as Bluray is most likely the last ever disc based media before downloads become the next standard the studio's should be doing a lot more to get these classic movies out ASAP.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Paul_Warren

Most new films are terrible...
Yep, just like most old films are terrible. The only difference between old and current movies is that everyone has forgotten the bad old movies (and remembers the classics) but they haven't forgotten the bad current movies yet.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Warren

Most new films are terrible and lack any emotional impact (even though the technical aspects are now quite advance) when you watch these old classics you realise how far the lost art of filmaking has fallen!!!
I'm with Travis on this one. Filmmaking hasn't fallen, and there are tons of forgettable movies made back then, too. We only remember the classics through rose-colored glasses because they're, well, classics.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm gonna go with DVDs previously released in non-anamorphic (or fullscreen) versions

1. Breakdown
2. The Journey of Natty Gann
3. Frantic

Runners up

Death Becomes Her
Iceman
Runaway Train

These will make great Blu-rays someday

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Spartacus----cleaned up Criterion version
Titanic
Forbidden Planet

Rerelease wish list

Robocop Director's cut---cleaned up Criterion version
Star Treks 1, 2 & 6 Director's cuts
Fantastic Four extended cut

Not a 'high-brow' list by any means.........

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Well a lot of what i woul like is already mentioned but borrowing from a post earlier i will break this down into live action and animation

Live Action:

Detour (Criterion - please do this as was stated on dvdbeaver as a joke)

Universal Monsters (All Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, Creature In 3D and flat) after they all have gone throuh a simular process that WB did with Casablanca anything less would be unacceptable.

Song of the South (Disney ??? will the ever happen???)

Animated:
Universal - Complete Woody Woodpecker Theatrical Collection in sequential order (never finished on DVD)

WB - Tom & Jerry Theatrical Collection in sequential order (HB through Dietch through Chuck Jones include all special features as before in HD and no ommiting toons this time)

Fantasia- Yes i know it is scheduled to come out but i want Disney Co to release it as it was originaly, no edits, no zooming, no changing the original artistry that went into the film, they are bad at editing out the past or modifying to the current trend, no smoking or more contriversal material.

i have others that will never see blu for some time if ever, but great B series like Rathbone Holmes would be ripe for a set considering UCLA just restored those a few years ago so who knows, but this format should be used to preserve the past in the best way possible

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
As I said in another thread: my most wanted films are on BD already. I can name 1 film I want on BD most of all now, but not three. But here are five, only the first one is really the new no. 1:

The Last of the Mohicans.
Pulp Fiction
The Lion King
Citizen Kane
Ben-Hur.

Cees

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Blue Ray:

Days of Heaven
Spider's Stratagem
Apocalypse Now (2.35:1 only Both versions)

Ill Take even dvd:
El Sur

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coca Cola Kid

Highlander
Highlander is already out on Blu-ray Disc, albeit in the UK. However, it is region free or at least Region A, B.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-Immortal-Limited-Steelbook-Blu-ray/dp/B0027P9BJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1257784304&sr=8-1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks