What's new

What 3 films do you want most on Blu? (1 Viewer)

Mick Wright

Second Unit
I'll go with some less obvious choices:

1. Strange Days. Underrated cyberpunk movie, never had an anamorphic transfer.
2. Until the End of the World (all versions). Another underrated cyberpunk movie from the 90's. I've owned the theatrical cut LD, extended Jap LD, and Italian DC dvd. I no longer own any of those discs anymore, and I would no longer be able to play them if I did. Either this will be released on blu-ray, or I'll never see it again.
3. Grosse Pointe Blank. The non-anamorphic dvd is now unwatchable. I saw this at midnight movie recently and it held up really well.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see Strange Days and Until the End of the World on Blu-ray. Nice choices.

Just thinking about Until... makes me want to spin up my LD (theatrical cut is the only copy I have) this weekend.

- Walter.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I would like to see:

MCQ 1974 John Wayne
Rio Lobo 1970 John Wayne
The Seven-Ups 1973 Roy Scheider

Robert

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Barabbas
The Bridge On The River Kwai (preferably after Lowry have been allowed to transform it the way they transformed Dr. No)
Lawrence of Arabia

RayRogers

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray Rogers
My three might be a bit unexpected.
Brotherhood of the Wolf/Le Pacte des Loups
The Magnificent Seven
The Frighteners

RayRogers

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray Rogers
Double post. Might as well take advantage of it.
WASABI
The Great Escape
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

PattyFraser

Second Unit
1. Lord of the Rings EE
2. Fanny and Alexander
3. Barry Lyndon

I should put "Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe" on here because my sister and my husband both want this so much. Yeah, that'll happen.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I should put "Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe" on here because my sister and my husband both want this so much. Yeah, that'll happen.
I saw "Great Chefs" listed for sale on the Warner Archive, if that's any consolation. There is an HD master that aired on MOJO and HDNet Movies, and this film was supposed to be remade but apparently that's been scrapped. It's a fun comedy/mystery, and there should be a DVD/BD.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
The remaining James Bond films
Rosemary's Baby
Une Femme est une Femme

Honorable mentions should go to Strange Days, the remaining seasons of The Sopranos and the Death Wish series.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
1) Star Wars 'Blade Runner' style multi-disc set of each film! I remember when Lucasfilm/THX were THE standard setters for high quality releases back when (witness the Star Wars definitive edition LD collection). I just find it beyond bizarre that they haven't taken a page from both the Blade Runner and the Close Encounters Blu releases and followed suit. There must be a TON of extras they could mine too, not to mention the original making ofs... Imagine ALL the versions of Star Wars, PLUS the fabled workprint in one set..... ahhhh it would make everyone happy and make MR Lucas an even richer man, AND put THX/Lucasfilm back at the very top of the home video camp. Everyone's a winner! I just cannot see the reasoning behind not giving one of the greatest and most loved movies of all time such a well deserved release on the highest quality home video medium available.

2) The Man Who Fell To Earth - A UK release of this is a Holy Grail for me - I believe the US version is region locked :(

3) Raiders of the Lost Ark - fully restored, with both versions of the film (i.e. original, plus the fairly recent subtlely tweaked version) and the original + remixed versions of the soundtracks, not to mention the original vintage 'making ofs'. I wish more video companies would realise the nostalgic kick many viewers get out of these old making of programs. They really help to draw one back into the era in which the films were made.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
1.) Twin Peaks: Definitive Gold Box Edition and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me w/deleted scenes edited into a short feature by Lynch.
2.) Back to the Future Trilogy
3.) Universal Hitchcock Films

Okay, I cheated.

dbailey100

Agent
Real Name
David
I like to add:

Original Pink Panther series (with Peter Sellers, of course). The first is already out on BD, but I'll wait until the box set.

TimJS

Second Unit
Lone Star (1996) Original DVD release was bare bones
Thunderheart (1992) Original DVD had edge enhancement, Apted has recorded a commentary
The Game (1997) AFAIK, no satisfactory DVD release

Hitch, Trois Couleurs, Mockingbird, Night of The Hunter, Bergman , Kurosawa, Lawrence, La Belle et la Bete, Renoir, and Clouzot, those are my priorities. We'll see how the Chaplins turn out, lotta silents could be on the list too.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by johnSM

1) Star Wars 'Blade Runner' style multi-disc set of each film! I remember when Lucasfilm/THX were THE standard setters for high quality releases back when (witness the Star Wars definitive edition LD collection). I just find it beyond bizarre that they haven't taken a page from both the Blade Runner and the Close Encounters Blu releases and followed suit. There must be a TON of extras they could mine too, not to mention the original making ofs... Imagine ALL the versions of Star Wars, PLUS the fabled workprint in one set..... ahhhh it would make everyone happy and make MR Lucas an even richer man, AND put THX/Lucasfilm back at the very top of the home video camp. Everyone's a winner! I just cannot see the reasoning behind not giving one of the greatest and most loved movies of all time such a well deserved release on the highest quality home video medium available.
I can see Star Wars happening with every version available. I believe Blu-Ray is the absolute last software format for film, and I'm sure Lucas would like to please the purists(there are many) with an over the top set of the original trilogy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks