What's new

What 3 films do you want most on Blu? (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Alex cosmo

Star Wars (1977 version!!)
I left Star Wars off my list because I really, really doubt we'll ever see it on Blu, or even anamorphic DVD in its 1977 version. But, I guess a fellow can dream.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
My real answer is LOTR, but since that's actually on the way, how about these:

Blue Velvet
Original Star Wars Trilogy
Lawrence of Arabia

--Jefferson Morris

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
No idea how I'd widdle it down to just 3, but just quickly scanning what's already posted, I'd have to say these would be candidates for most wanted (sooner rather than later anyway) in my case:

* The Sound of Music

* Raiders of the Lost Ark -- and probably also Last Crusade, especially since we'll likely end up w/ a boxset and/or simultaneous release anyway

If I actually consider other choices (besides Alien and Aliens) not already posted by others, I'm sure there are more I could include -- and maybe some will bump off various titles I've included above, if I need to widdle down to 3 ...

_Man_

Originally Posted by David_B_K

I left Star Wars off my list because I really, really doubt we'll ever see it on Blu, or even anamorphic DVD in its 1977 version. But, I guess a fellow can dream.

I'm sure this horse has been flogged to death previously on HTF, but I grew up with the theatrical versions, and it pains my face to see Hayden Christenson in ghostly form at the end of Return, and things like CGI animals, for no good reason, and Boba Fett with a Kiwi accent... I used to love his original voice, what I wouldn't give to hear it again, but I've lost all my old VHS's... :( And it wouldn't be worth watching a VHS for that anyway.

The only thing I didn't mind was enhancing/correcting the laser fire and the lightsabres, which had always looked very rough to me on home video... But I'd put up with that for the charm of having the original versions any day.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Barry Lyndon
The Thin Red Line
(extended cut, please!)
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams

I would love to see some of the important titles by David Lynch and Werner Herzog... Blue Velvet and Aguirre, the Wrath of God would be a lovely start.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Once Upon A Time In The West
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Roadshow)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Ben Cheshire

I'm sure this horse has been flogged to death previously on HTF, but I grew up with the theatrical versions, and it pains my face to see Hayden Christenson in ghostly form at the end of Return, and things like CGI animals, for no good reason, and Boba Fett with a Kiwi accent... I used to love his original voice, what I wouldn't give to hear it again, but I've lost all my old VHS's... :( And it wouldn't be worth watching a VHS for that anyway.
Ben, I ended up buying the DVD SE's that included the non-anamorphic OOT . I was one of those that said "no sale if it's not anamorphic" until I came to believe that Lucas will never revisit the subject of the OOT again. The non-anamorphic discs are not that bad (better than your old VHS or my old laserdiscs) but worthwhile IMO to see the real versions.

David Glen

Agent
Real Name
David Glen
1. The Seven Samurai
2. Persona
3. Bullet in the Head

.. but if Jaws displaced something on the list, I probably wouldn't complain much..

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
1. Vertigo
2. Rashomon
3. Portrait of Jennie

Here are my top 10 favorite films of all time:

01. Vertigo (1958, Alfred Hitchcock)

02. Portrait of Jennie (1948, William Dieterle)

03. The Seventh Seal (Sjunde Inseglet, Det) (1957, Ingmar Bergman)

04. Orpheus (Orphée) (1950, Jean Cocteau)

05. Notorious (1946, Alfred Hitchcock)

06. The Third Man (1949, Carol Reed)

07. Rashômon (1950, Akira Kurosawa)

08. Blade Runner (1982, Ridley Scott)

09. Fantasia (1940, Walt Disney, various directors)

10. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980, Irvin Kershner)

3 of them are already on blu-ray, and a fourth (Fantasia) will be out sometime in spring 2010. So 4 out of 10. Not bad, given the relative infancy of the format.

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
Barton Fink! Yeah! I could easily go all Coen Brothers:

1. The Man Who Wasn't There
2. Big Lebowski
3. Millers Crossing

Also would love to see 'Broadway Danny Rose' on Blu - Woody Allens BEST film (yeah, I said it), beautifully shot in BW might look amazing in Hi Def. All of the BW films I've seen in HD pretty much have rocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks