What's new

what 2 channel reciever to buy? (1 Viewer)

aaron_d

Agent
Hey all, i am looking for a good 2 channel stereo only reciever, it will be powering 2 gravity research av3's. I was told that some of the older pioneer's pre 1980 would be a good choice. Does anyone else have a suggestion? I am looking to spend 200 or less. Thanks!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
You might also want to check into the older Marantz receivers from the same era as the Pioneers. Both should sound really fine for 2-channel listening.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Aaron, check out AudioKarma's message board for plenty of info on vintage gear. I heartily agree with Wayne regarding the quality of the older units. $200 on Ebay ought to get you a pretty nice mid-line Marantz or Pioneer model. Also take a look at this site for plenty more vintage goodness. Cheers.

DS.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Aaron, Denon, Harman/Kardon and others make 2-channel stereo receivers. Granted, pickings are slim when compared to their line of home theater receivers. I can't comment on the audio qualities, though, which is why I pointed out older Marantz receivers - which appear to be quite favored along with the Pioneer receivers.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I have a Harman/Kardon HK3270 stereo receiver (about 5 years old) in my office/home studio and it is wonderful. Especially nice for my use is the high quality phono preamp onboard. Highly recommended. www.harmanaudio.com has some neat specials on refurbished items. Newer Onkyo stereo receivers are quite nice also.

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
Are you planning on listening to the radio? If not, you could check out integrated amps. I got an Onkyo AVR-400 for $45 bucks (plus $27 shipping) on Ebay and I think it sounds better than my $500 Onkyo 5.1 reciever.

There are a lot of good used deals out there, and they hold their value, so if you buy something you don't like you can always re-sell it. :D

aaron_d

Agent
Yes i plan on listening to the radio. Looks like an older style Marantz or Pioneer might be the way to go.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I would consider newer technology. You can pick up a Panasonic SA-XR50 for $240 delivered. The digital amplifiers are reportedly working very well for many 2 channel listeners.

Check out the threads at "Audiocircle" which refer to using the digital amps for 2 channel use. It would be brand new, under warranty, and have more flexibility...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks