What’s the best movie theatre in Manhattan to see Lord of the Rings?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Llappin, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Llappin

Llappin Stunt Coordinator

Leila
    I was hoping to see it at Ziegfeld theatre but when I called the theatre I was told they are not scheduled to show the movie. I thought of Sony theaters with IMAX but couldn’t find any definite information on that either.

I’d appreciate advice from anyone living around New York.

2. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

Funny you should ask this...
    I had an accident when I purchased tickets for the United Artists theatre at Union Square/14th Street -- I ended up with 10 unwanted tickets, thanks to a huge gaffe by Moviefone in which I don't think I'm getting reimbursed. They're for the 8pm showing on the 19th; gotta find 10 good friends (or start scalpin')! [​IMG]
    The theatre is on 3 floors (maybe even 4, come to think of it), and while they have smaller than average screens (due to limitations in size of their building space), the main ones -- on which I know they will play FotR -- are decent. The two main attractions for me are the seating, which is stadium style with spacing between rows enough to not have to get out of your seat to let in a passerby, and the presentation, which has ranged from very good to top-notch, for every movie I've seen there. About the only complaint I have is the lengthy amount of commercials they play before the movie, but at least they are (unlike some other chains) bunched together and not interspersed through the movie trailers.
    Hope that helps!

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The Union Square would be a good place to see Lord of the Rings as long as you're in theater 4 or 8, which are the large auditoriums. Other candidates (I don't know for certain that it will play in these venues, but the likelihood is great):

Loews Kips Bay (theater 10 preferred)

Sony Lincoln Square (but only in the Loews Auditorium)

Loews E-Walk (just about any theater should be fine)

Loews Astor Plaza (if the Ziegfeld doesn't have it, they're a likely candidate)

AMC 25

I haven't been to the new Loews 34th Street, but I imagine it's worth checking out.

M.

4. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

A friend attended a press screening of LOTR on Monday at the new 34th St. Loews and reports that the venue--and the film--are topnotch.

We later went to screening of OCEAN'S 11 at the 42nd St. Loews, one of its big space. These, too, would be fine for LOTR (we split on the merits of OCEAN'S--I was in, he was out).

5. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

I would suggest Lincoln Square. That's where I saw Titanic, Godzilla, and an early screening of Prince of Egypt. Great picture, great sound, great seats.

6. Llappin

Llappin Stunt Coordinator

Leila
    Thank you all for your suggestions,

I read somewhere that this movie should be seen in a theatre with the biggest screen and the most powerful sound system. Like most of the fans I’ve been waiting for this movie for over a year and a half, obsessing over every scrap of information, and have read all of the books including Silmarillion. So it’s very important for me to experience this movie the right way. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Dana I’d like to take some of the tickets off your hand but it wouldn’t be easy for me to be in the city at that time, it’ll be too late for to go back to New Jersey.

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Micheal took the words right of my mouth! His list is exactly the same as mine for best movie theaters in the City. Like he said, though I didn't try 34th St yet, it should probably be on the list. My favorite room tho is theater 10, Kips Bay (Lincoln Sq Loews is close second).

Question: Do you actually call the theater to find out when the movie is playing in the room you want? I do that quite often :b

--

Holadem

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Upstate, you call, and they don't KNOW what theater it's playing in. Of course, space isn't at as much of a premium, so they can make pretty much all the theaters the same size. (The noteable exception being the Spectrum, which has some shitty theaters and some great theaters.)

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

10. Tom Czr

Tom Czr Agent

I enjoy Lowwes Kips Bay on 33 and 2nd, no parking at Lincoln quare