What's new

What’s left that I’d like on physical media (1 Viewer)

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
Timothy:

I'm not sure why Season 6 went out of print. It was originally a MOD DVD-R release from Universal which they then quietly switched to pressed disc release.
I cannot say for sure but I got the impression that it went out of print because they had many problems with the sets. I remember reading about it (I think it was on this forum but I could be mistaken) and it can also be seen in some of the Amazon reviews. While they did seem to fix the issues it seemed like by the time they did they just decided to throw in the towel. Once again, I could be (and probably am) wrong about the reasons but that has always been my impression.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I cannot say for sure but I got the impression that it went out of print because they had many problems with the sets. I remember reading about it (I think it was on this forum but I could be mistaken) and it can also be seen in some of the Amazon reviews. While they did seem to fix the issues it seemed like by the time they did they just decided to throw in the towel. Once again, I could be (and probably am) wrong about the reasons but that has always been my impression.
They should make the necessary corrections and release it again. Also what does that mean for Season 7 and the Hitchcock Hour in Region 1?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
The rest of Petticoat Junction
The rest of The Beverly Hillbillies
The rest of The Jack Benny Program
The rest of Our Miss Brooks
The People's Choice
The Bob Cummings Show/Love That Bob
December Bride
The Lawrence Welk Show
All of the Disney programs that Darby mentioned
More of the original Mickey Mouse Club
Every one of those would be on my list along with:
My Little Margie,
Adventures in Paradise,
Trackdown,
Fern wood 2nite
December Bride,
Rin Tin Tin
Lassie
Complete Make Room For Daddy
Colt 45
Johnny Ring
Gray Ghost
Casey Jones

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
To add to this futile exercise:
Run For Your Life
Captain Midnight
Bill Dana Show
Pete And Gladys
Happy (1961.)
Whirleybirds
Amos And Andy
Oh Susannah
Angel
The Little People
Hotel DiParee
Calvin And The Colonel
Rest of Our Miss Brooks, Ben Casey
Room 222
Andy’s Gang
Margie
Charlie Farrell Show.

quantumsnoga

Agent
Real Name
George P Snoga
On James Burke's Connections:

I received the BBC version 2 days ago.

The BBC version is visually inferior to the $150 version from the late 1990's.

Image is extremely flat, with no black, only dark greys. Colors are very dull. Audio is fine.

It's better than nothing, but not by a whole lot. . .

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
In my previous post I forgot to mention the Jesse Stone TV movies. I rented the DVDs from Netflix and they were kinda soft, that is unusual for a Sony release. A couple of Blu-ray sets have been released and Stone Cold (the first movie broadcast) is now available on Amazon Prime (free!) but these use old MPEG4 transfers that look soft by modern standards. According to IMDB these were shot on 35mm so good transfers are possible. If anyone out there is working on a new Blu-ray releases please let us know, these movies have a huge following!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Three of the series that I want on BD are:
the Pretender
the Profiler
the Mentalist
Max Headroom
and all 3 series of James Burke's "Connections"

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Three of the series that I want on BD are:
the Pretender
the Profiler

I'm less interested in The Pretender than Profiler, though I have both series on DVD. I'm mostly satisfied with the DVD releases, though it'd be nice if a new set (BD or DVD) of each would contain the other's crossover episodes, even if having both sets alleviates that problem.

But there's also the issue of the missing episode from Profiler Season 1: "I'll Be Watching You" was left out because it cost too much to clear the home video rights to the Police song "Every Breath You Take". It was such an integral part of the episode that they couldn't just replace it with something else. Although, it was supposedly included in the Australian DVD sets. I keep forgetting to see about getting that.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I'm less interested in The Pretender than Profiler, though I have both series on DVD. I'm mostly satisfied with the DVD releases, though it'd be nice if a new set (BD or DVD) of each would contain the other's crossover episodes, even if having both sets alleviates that problem.

But there's also the issue of the missing episode from Profiler Season 1: "I'll Be Watching You" was left out because it cost too much to clear the home video rights to the Police song "Every Breath You Take". It was such an integral part of the episode that they couldn't just replace it with something else. Although, it was supposedly included in the Australian DVD sets. I keep forgetting to see about getting that.
WKRP had those music issues as well, they just changed to generic tunes or bought the rights to them...

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
WKRP had those music issues as well, they just changed to generic tunes or bought the rights to them...

A lot of shows have had that issue. Music replacements aren't so much an issue if the context of the song's use doesn't depend on it being a specific song. Despite hardcore fans wanting all of the music to be the same as it was originally, in a lot of cases, it really just doesn't matter. For that Profiler episode, it just wouldn't work with any other song.

China Beach and The Wonder Years had similar problems, as did pretty much any other shows that depended on music that conveyed a specific emotional effect. Cold Case is another one. Though it didn't necessarily depend on a specific song being played, because the premise of the show was detectives solving old cases, relevant period music was used to convey the setting. Because every episode was like that, even music replacement would have its limits in allaying costs.

And that's not even considering series/episodes that did a deep dive into musicals, like China Beach's "I Could've Danced All Night...but Didn't" (My Fair Lady), Quantum Leap's "Catch a Falling Star" (Man of La Mancha), and Cold Case's "Creatures of the Night" (The Rocky Horror Picture Show).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks