What's new

What’s left that I’d like on physical media (1 Viewer)

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I can think of multiple shows I'd absolutely love to have on dvd. But the reality is that they are all extremely unlikely to make it. There is just next to nothing coming out anymore on physical media, at least not the old stuff that I am interested in.

I am trying to think of it along the lines that Jeff and Josh expressed. I have so much good stuff to watch right now that I really have no business complaining. And I suspect if I counted the time it would take me to watch it all just once, I don't have that many days left to live.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I can think of multiple shows I'd absolutely love to have on dvd. But the reality is that they are all extremely unlikely to make it. There is just next to nothing coming out anymore on physical media, at least not the old stuff that I am interested in.

Yes, because the market favors everything new and current, and that's a fact of life nowadays (if it's not on now, it's nothing, apparently).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
There are definitely some shows that I would welcome a release of...but I'm still busy trying to add shows already out on DVD/Blu-Ray to my collection! My "to buy" list is still large...I'm whittling away at it piece by piece. Between all those already-released titles, and the quite large collection which I already own, I think I'm pretty well set for life.
Right.

Everything on my list is basically just icing on the cake. I have all the shows I like the most, so I really am happy with that.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, because the market favors everything new and current, and that's a fact of life nowadays (if it's not on now, it's nothing, apparently).

I might get the new Perry Mason. But 30 or 40 dollars is a lot to pay for 8 episodes

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
There are a lot of shows I could list, but my top priority is to get the single-sided Dallas Seasons 10 & 11 sets. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they are so hard to find (they were released in 2018). The only thing I can figure is that they vastly under-estimated the demand and only printed a very limited number of sets. Even if they did MOD, I'd grab them in a heartbeat. Of course, I'd buy the entire series again if it were remastered for Blu-ray.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I agree with Jeff. While there are some stalled series I'd love to see completed I just don't see it happening. Many of my "grail" shows are also not likely to see release for one reason or another. Some of those I've managed to obtain "grey market" copies for and while they're not the best copies they *do* allow me to see the show.

Since I've been collecting there are only a handful of TV series and movies I've rewatched. Some of my top 20 favorites I've rewatched several times (Star Trek specifically) but most just once. Based on what I've watched my unwatched pile should last me at least another 10 years if my viewing continues at the same pace. Add that to the 10+ years of material I've watched and that easily provides me with years of selective viewing - only rewatching my favorites of that collection once I finally make it through that ever growing unwatched pile.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Next year is the 25th anniversary of the show, this would be the perfect time to release a complete series of the show, use the anniversary as a tie-in.

In a fantasy alternate world, I would like to believe there is a large enough nostalgia audience for The Pretender, such that Disney or somebody else (ie. shout, kino, etc ...) might release a 25th anniversary edition complete series dvd set.

Though back to our reality, I suspect the audience who even still even remembers The Pretender, is too small to warrant any possible re-releases. (I suspect more folks will remember similar themed shows like "White Collar" or "Remington Steele", than The Pretender).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Though back to our reality, I suspect the audience who even still even remembers The Pretender, is too small to warrant any possible re-releases. (I suspect more folks will remember similar themed shows like "White Collar" or "Remington Steele", than The Pretender).

I have the original DVD releases of The Pretender and I remember watching it when it was broadcast. But to be honest, I very much preferred its "colleague" series Profiler. Unfortunately, the Profiler S1 release is missing one entire episode, due to a music clearance issue (the episode was titled "Every Breath You Take", and the premise of the story didn't really allow for substituting another song).

ian McLachlan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian K McLachlan
The unreleased US shows that I would like to see released are-
1. The Defenders seasons 2 -4
2. The Muppet Show seasons 4 -6
3. Cowboy in Africa
4. He and She
5. The Debbie Reynolds Show
6. The Paul Lynde Show
7. My World and Welcome to it.
8. It's the Wolf
9. Nanny and the Professor
10. Love American Style seasons 2 onwards
11. Ben Casey seasons 2 onwards
12. Mr. Novak season 2
13. Lassie - Jeff's Collie
14. Run for Your Life
15. 77 Sunset Strip

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I have zero confidence that any of my items will ever get legit, remastered in HD releases, but here they are nonetheless:

1. The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet
2. Boston Blackie
3. Disney Anthology series [all of them that I can get]
4. Gray Ghost
5. Lassie [I'd take all of them, but seasons 5-14 would do]
6. Petticoat Junction [seasons 4-7]
7. Amos & Andy
8. Waterfront
9. Harlem Globetrotters [H/B animated series]

I could list dozens more, but why bother...

Gary "none of those are ever coming, I know that" O.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The thing that ticks me off is that FOX re-released all 4 seasons back in 2009 with new packaging but could not be bothered to re-issue them on single sided discs. Compare this to Universal, who in recent years has re-released most (if not all) of the TV series they originally released on double-sided discs with new single-sided disc releases.

IIRC, Fox only did single-sided discs re-releases for Bones, Reba, and Mary Tyler Moore.

Though in the case of Reba, only seasons 5 and 6 were redone as single-sided discs. (Seasons 5 and 6 were originally done as DVD14 double-sided flipper discs). Unfortunately seasons 1 to 4 were still in the form of DVD10 double-sided flippers, in the Reba complete series set.

DVD10 type flipper discs are not as problematic as the notorious DVD14 and DVD18 double-sided flipper discs, but still annoying nevertheless.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Though speaking of the 2009 Fox re-releases and Reba, my copies of Reba seasons 1 to 4 were the 2009 re-released ones in the generic amaray multidisc dvd cases. My copies had a few of the discs slightly scratched during the manufacturing/packaging stages, but they played fine.

(IIRC, the original versions of seasons 1 to 4 sets, were each done as three thinpack cases put into a box).

Ironically by chance, awhile ago I picked up the Reba complete series set where I didn't encounter any discs with scratchs. I guess the case design didn't damage discs as easily in the packaging phase (ie. putting the actual discs into the case at the factory).

With these giant multidisc complete series sets put into a giant box, I've been accustomed to encountered discs which were slightly scratched at the factory.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I'd like to see the rest of Burke's Law get released on DVD, which means season 2 and also the half season of Amos Burke Secret Agent. I also have a few 1960's sitcoms on my DVD want list, these are shorter lived shows that ran for two seasons or less. Aside from that, most of my other favorite old shows have been released on DVD and there isn't much on my want list at this time.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve

I love THE PRETENDER. Watched its initial broadcast run and bought the original DVD sets. Am also a big fan of REMINGTON STEELE.

I have no idea what WHITE COLLAR is, never heard of it.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
How about this for eclectic shows that will never be released on physical media (again):

The Winslow Boy (Emma Thompson)
Run For Your Life (Ben Gazarra)
Inspector Morse: Season 1-8 on Blu-ray
The Beans Of Egypt Maine AKA Forbidden Choices on Blu-ray*

*a DVD exists but is difficult to find and/or expensive, let me know if you have one for sale!

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
I know lots of the posts are on television shows, but there are plenty of movies that have either yet to be issued on DVD or poorly represented by what appears to be transfers from masters struck for VHS or Beta releases during the early days of home video..
One of the worse offenders is the Disney Company.

The Moon Spinners was remastered for wide screen (the way it was originally presented in the theaters in the 60s) for a European release and that version appears on streaming services but the present DVD is still the old pan and scan version. Since it stars Hayley Mills I am sure Disney figures it's a juvenile title and doesn't require a proper reissue. Same case could be made for other Disney films including most of the Hayley Mills titles. Just look at their bargain basement priced reissues and you will see many that need and deserve a facelift.

However, I have noticed the new series by Disney Movie Club, but as I understand it those are not available to the general public..therefore I have not seen any of those remasterings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks