What's new

What’s left that I’d like on physical media (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Season Two and Three of Mayberry RFD, the remaining seasons of Head of the class (season Two comes soon) the 1973 Miracle on 34th Street television movie and any remaining seasons of Cobra Kai as they are aired on Netflix. Hopefully Sony will release them. If not I’d be satisfied with apple store down loads

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
For Region1, these are all long shots at best but here goes....

The Defenders Seasons 2 through 4

East Side/West Side (all 26 episodes)

'Way Out (all 14 episodes)

The Nurses aka The Doctors and the Nurses for seasons 2 and 3 (all three seasons)

Bus Stop (26 total episodes)

Cliffhangers! (11 total episodes)

Amazing Stories (Season 2)

Alfred Hitchcock Presents (Season 7)

The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (Seasons 1 through 3)

Burke's Law aka Amos Burke Secret Agent for season 3 (Seasons 2 and 3)

The Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel (all 18 episodes)

Various series from the Disneyland anthology show (in its various incarnations):

• The Tales of Texas John Slaughter (the complete series of 17 episodes; starring Tom Tryon)
  • Daniel Boone (the complete series of 4 episodes; starring Dewey Martin)
  • The Nine Lives of Elfego Baca (the complete series of 10 episodes (3 episodes were released on Walt Disney Treasures: Legendary Heroes); starring Robert Loggia)
  • The Swamp Fox (the complete series of 8 episodes (3 episodes were released on Walt Disney Treasures: Legendary Heroes); starring Leslie Nielsen)
  • The Saga of Andy Burnett (the complete series of 6 episodes; starring Jerome Courtland)
  • The New Adventures of Davy Crockett (the complete series of 5 episodes; starring Tim Dunigan)
  • The Prince and the Pauper (the three 50-minute television episodes from the Disneyland TV show titled The Pauper King, The Merciful Law of the King, and Long Live the Rightful King and the 93-minute theatrical release)
  • Gallegher (3 episodes; starring Roger Mobley); The Further Adventures of Gallegher (3 episodes); Gallegher Goes West (4 episodes); and The Mystery of Edward Sims (2 episodes)
  • Willie and the Yank (Mosby’s Marauders) (three 50-minute television episodes from the Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color TV show titled The Deserter, The Mosby Raiders, and The Matchmaker that aired in January 1967 and the 80-minute theatrical version titled Mosby’s Marauders that was released in Europe in May 1967)
  • Zorro and Son (the complete series of 5 episodes; starring Henry Darrow as Don Diego de la Vega/Zorro, Sr. and Paul Regina as Don Carlos de la Vega/Zorro, Jr.)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If this was 5 or 10+ years ago, I would have listed something like Cold Case and maybe a single-sided discs re-release of Silk Stalkings.

Fastfoward to today, I have a strong suspicion I would feel very disappointed if Cold Case was released by Warner Archive with too much of the music modified. I watched Cold Case in its original first-run and the daily/weekly reruns, enough to probably recognize if there are music edits. (Just about every episode had lots of music).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In contrast for shows I didn't really watch (or not at all) and don't remember much of, the only way I would notice music modifications is if it sounds "anachronistic" and/or if there are online list of original songs from each episode which point out modifications on the dvds.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The stuff which I strongly suspect will remain dead, is anything owned by Disney/Fox. For example, I was hoping The Pretender and other MTM productions (such as Remington Steele) might be re-released as single-sided discs.

If Fox wasn't willing to do any re-releases, then I suspect Disney will not either.

From looking at Shout Factory's output over the past year or so, I suspect the Fox spigot might very well be shut down completely now. (ie. No more LA Law, etc ...).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
With all that being said, an NYPD Blue complete series dvd set released by Shout Factory would likely be a first-day buy for me. Such a hypothetical set would likely have seasons 3 and 4 both redone as single-sided discs.

(Seasons 3 and 4 were originally done as 4-disc sets by Fox, where the discs were done as annoying DVD14 type double-sided flipper discs).

The only way this will ever happen, is if Shout Factory has this already in the pipeline but has not announced it. Once Disney/Fox has turned off the spigot, this will likely never happen at all.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
The stuff which I strongly suspect will remain dead, is anything owned by Disney/Fox. For example, I was hoping The Pretender and other MTM productions (such as Remington Steele) might be re-released as single-sided discs.

If Fox wasn't willing to do any re-releases, then I suspect Disney will not either.

From looking at Shout Factory's output over the past year or so, I suspect the Fox spigot might very well be shut down completely now. (ie. No more LA Law, etc ...).

I have been waiting and hoping for a re-release of The Pretender on single sided discs for years but unfortunately it looks like that ship has sailed. :( The best bet would be for one of indie companies (Shout, Mill Creek, Kino Lorber) acquiring the rights but it does not look like they are interested or perhaps Disney is not interested in licensing out their properties OR their license fee is too high?! The thing that ticks me off is that FOX re-released all 4 seasons back in 2009 with new packaging but could not be bothered to re-issue them on single sided discs. Compare this to Universal, who in recent years has re-released most (if not all) of the TV series they originally released on double-sided discs with new single-sided disc releases. Next year is the 25th anniversary of the show, this would be the perfect time to release a complete series of the show, use the anniversary as a tie-in.

Regarding Shout!, they have not released much of anything in the past few years (Classic TV wise), looks like they are done with Classic TV releases?!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Burke's Law, S2. I can not believe I have waited 13 years I think for this.

Alfred Hitchcock Presents, S7 and Alfred Hitchcock Hour

The Love Boat, S5-9

Fantasy Island, S4-7

Operation Petticoat (with pilot movie)

Crazy Like A Fox

Switch

And honestly.....that's just about it at this stage. Shows that I have decent enough boots of like the rest of "Ironside" or "McCloud" I can handle as they are. The first two titles for me are the essentials from my classic TV history standpoint. The other five titles are the "comfort food" of my youth I want to be able to experience again in the best possible quality. I am at a stage where I'm hard-pressed to think of anything else that's a Grail. (I certainly would like to see the surviving films of the 50s "Sheena, Queen of The Jungle" remastered and released including the color pilot but that Kickstarter campaign just never had a chance to raise money) Otherwise my collection feels pretty much saturated at this point that apart from the above titles I feel like I've got everything I really need.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Echoing what Jack just said, I’ve been thinking over the past year that my collection feels close to complete. There will always be new movies and shows that interest me, but the way media is created and distributed has changed so rapidly that I don’t necessarily know if every future new release that I want to revisit will be done so via the purchase of a physical object. And as far as older content goes, I’m amazed not just at how many holy grail types I’ve been able to get but also how many more marginal shows that I’d read about in passing but never has a chance to see became available thanks to things like Warner’s MOD program. I remember as a kid who loved stuff like Twilight Zone and Star Trek that I’d read books about the making of those shows and they’d mention other shows the cast and crew worked on and I’d think that I’d never get to see them, and eventually I got those chances.

I don’t know if there’s any way to answer this but I would be curious to know how long it would take me to watch my collection if I decided that I couldn’t watch something a second time before watching everything in it once. Years and years, I would guess.

Amazing how far this has all come since VHS tapes and rabbit ears.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
There are eight episodes of The U.S. Steel Hour posted on YouTube by the UCLA Film & TV Archive.

It'd be really nice if some label could work out a deal to put them out (and more; UCLA claims to have over 80 episodes) on DVD. It would probably be a nightmare to track down all of the rights and clearances, though.

They've also put up on YouTube five episodes of Insight. This was a syndicated, religious-themed anthology series that aired in the 60s and 70s. They usually aired on Sunday mornings (or sometimes in the wee hours on Saturday night/Sunday morning or Sunday night/Monday morning) as part of a local stations Public Service Programming.

The "religious-themed" part might be a little off-putting, but as someone who is not religious, I found the episodes I saw to be fascinating. Not so much religious, but its stories focused on ethical and moral dilemmas. And its roster of guest-stars was astonishing. One particularly amusing episode was set in the Garden of Eden, with Walter Matthau as Adam, Carol Burnett as Eve, and Ed Asner as God.

Back about 25 years ago, I taped a couple of dozen episodes. I'd love to see some DVDs of this.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Unreleased:

T.H.E. Cat
Suspicion
Panic!
(aka No Warning)
Dragnet (1950s version, official release)
Way Out
Great Ghost Tales
Bus Stop
12 O'clock High
The Man Who Never Was
Blue Light
G.E. True
Amos & Andy
77 Sunset Strip
Wichita Town
Trackdown
Richard Diamond, Private Detective
Journey to the Unknown
Hawk
N.Y.P.D.
Shotgun Slade
World of Giants
Klondike
Acapulco
The Rogues
The Lineup
The Green Hornet
Captain Nice
The Outcasts
Hoppity Hooper
(aka Uncle Waldo)
Diana
Suspense Theater
(aka Crisis)
The New Breed
Terriers
Daredevil: Season 3
The Punisher: Seasons 1 & 2
Cliffhangers!
Darkroom
(got a release in Australia, but is long out-of-print)
The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau (got a release in the UK, but is long out-of-print)
The National Geographic Specials
(the classic David L. Wolper-produced shows from the 1960s and early 1970s)
Ripley's Believe It or Not! (the Jack Palance version)

Uncompleted:

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season 7 + The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (all 3 seasons) -- though I have the Region 2 DVDs of these
One Step Beyond (official release): Seasons 2 & 3
Beany & Cecil (the bulk of the cartoon series)
Mr. Novak: Season 2
The Jack Benny Program
(the bulk of the series)
SCTV (the final 'Cinemax' season, plus some missing 'early years' episodes)
Burke's Law: Seasons 2 & 3 (Amos Burke: Secret Agent)
Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theatre: Seasons 4 & 5
I'm Dickens... He's Fenster
(the 2nd half of its lone season)
The Alvin Show (the bulk of the series)
Saturday Night Live: Season 10 (cast: Billy Crystal, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, Martin Short, Rich Hall and Pamela Stephenson)

Last edited:

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
The rest of Petticoat Junction
The rest of The Beverly Hillbillies
The rest of The Jack Benny Program
The rest of Our Miss Brooks
The People's Choice
The Bob Cummings Show/Love That Bob
December Bride
The Lawrence Welk Show
All of the Disney programs that Darby mentioned
More of the original Mickey Mouse Club

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
There are eight episodes of The U.S. Steel Hour posted on YouTube by the UCLA Film & TV Archive.

It'd be really nice if some label could work out a deal to put them out (and more; UCLA claims to have over 80 episodes) on DVD. It would probably be a nightmare to track down all of the rights and clearances, though.

They've also put up on YouTube five episodes of Insight. This was a syndicated, religious-themed anthology series that aired in the 60s and 70s. They usually aired on Sunday mornings (or sometimes in the wee hours on Saturday night/Sunday morning or Sunday night/Monday morning) as part of a local stations Public Service Programming.

The "religious-themed" part might be a little off-putting, but as someone who is not religious, I found the episodes I saw to be fascinating. Not so much religious, but its stories focused on ethical and moral dilemmas. And its roster of guest-stars was astonishing. One particularly amusing episode was set in the Garden of Eden, with Walter Matthau as Adam, Carol Burnett as Eve, and Ed Asner as God.

Back about 25 years ago, I taped a couple of dozen episodes. I'd love to see some DVDs of this.

Along with what UCLA has posted, the rights holder Paulist Productions has put up a large number of the episodes on its youtube channel. I've already spied episodes with the likes of Julie Adams, Bob Newhart, Anne Francis, John Astin, and of course the episode you mentioned. I'm going to have to check out this series.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
At this point I'd just like to see a lot of shows I have on DVD rereleased on Blu-Ray.
Like:

M*A*S*H

The Life And Times of Grizzly Adams (DVD is terrible quality, and cut)

Logan's Run

Planet of the Apes

For the unreleased titles I would love to see:

Happy Days (my favorite seasons are still unreleased)

Beverley Hillbillies complete

A Man called Sloane

The Love Boat complete

Fantasy Island complete

Ripley's Believe it or Not (Jack Palance)

All classic Nickalodeon shows from the early 80's-You Can't Do That on Television, Out of Control, Pinwheel, Special Delivery etc.

Silver Spoons complete

Saturday Night Light Live seasons 6-?

And for the Love of everything under the blue sky can I please get

Lassie
complete on Blu-Ray, with tons of special features.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
If nothing else was ever released, I could still say I'm very happy with the collection of shows I've purchased over the years. Honestly, it's been far more than I ever expected. Still, there are quite a few more shows I would really like to see get an official release, though I recognize that at this point the chances are probably slim to none for any of them. At least in a few cases, I have homemade recordings, which is better than nothing. Some others I've never seen, except perhaps for a clip on youtube, but I would be willing to blind buy.

10 of my most wanted unreleased comedies are:

Chico and the Man
The Don Rickles Show
Forever Fernwood
The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show / The George Burns Show
He & She
Here We Go Again
Hot l Baltimore
House Calls
The New Dick Van Dyke Show
The Tony Randall Show

10 of my most wanted unreleased dramas are:

Chase
City Detective
Crazy Like a Fox
Dragnet (1950s series)
Hawk
Judd for the Defense
The New Breed
Rescue 8
Switch
Trapper John, M.D.

And as far as stalled series (nothing released in over a year), I'd still like for these to eventually be completed:

Archie Bunker's Place
Benson
The Defenders
The Eleventh Hour
Family
The Love Boat
Make Room for Daddy / The Danny Thomas Show
Marcus Welby, M.D.
Mister Peepers
Petticoat Junction
Police Story
Room 222
St. Elsewhere
The White Shadow

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’d also like to see New Dick Van Dyke. Warner controls it; I asked the Warner Archive folks about the possibility of an MOD release a few years ago, and the response was that they didn’t have music clearances or existing tape transfers from the original film so it was out of reach at the moment. I don’t think anything has changed since, unfortunately.

For shows that have music issues preventing home video releases on physical media, they might still show up on a streaming service one day. Subscription streaming is considered by the rights & clearances folks to be the same as broadcast/cable syndication, so if something is cleared for TV but not video, streaming counts as if it were TV.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
There are definitely some shows that I would welcome a release of...but I'm still busy trying to add shows already out on DVD/Blu-Ray to my collection! My "to buy" list is still large...I'm whittling away at it piece by piece. Between all those already-released titles, and the quite large collection which I already own, I think I'm pretty well set for life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks