What's new

What’s left that I’d like on physical media (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
What i like to see is some shows from the UK like the original Railway Journeys of the World that was originally broadcast on my local PBS station around 1980 and there were seven episodes. The Secret Life of Machines hosted by Tim Hunkin & Rex Garrod that was also shown on PBS from 1988-1993 and about 20 episodes. And finally the James Burke series Connections, Connections II, and The Day the Universe Changed which were released on dvd years ago but a new release would be nice. The good news is some of theses shows you can see on YouTube.

Faber

Agent
Real Name
Josh
Glades - Never Released on Blu-Ray
MacGyver - Season 1 Released on Blu-Ray, other seasons on the way via Koch Films
Ringer - Never Released. Ratings weren't even high enough to justify a second season
The Finder - Never Released. Show ended after one of the main actors died
White Collar - Season 1 Released on Blu-Ray, stalled due to low initial sales*

I actually have some small amount of hope that the rest of White Collar might be released on Blu-Ray because they're currently working on a seventh season. I suppose the way it might work is that they release the 7th season on Blu-Ray and it does so well that they decide to release the 6th season on Blu-Ray and keep working backwards. Though, the hardest part for fans will putting aside the fear

*My theories: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16925340&postcount=26

Last edited:

quantumsnoga

Agent
Real Name
George P Snoga
What i like to see is some shows from the UK like the original Railway Journeys of the World that was originally broadcast on my local PBS station around 1980 and there were seven episodes. The Secret Life of Machines hosted by Tim Hunkin & Rex Garrod that was also shown on PBS from 1988-1993 and about 20 episodes. And finally the James Burke series Connections, Connections II, and The Day the Universe Changed which were released on dvd years ago but a new release would be nice. The good news is some of theses shows you can see on YouTube.

James Burke's Connections was released on DVD in the early days of DVD, for the educational market.

I bought it, but brother was it expensive- $150 or 10 episodes.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
James Burke's Connections was released on DVD in the early days of DVD, for the educational market.

That kind of "sticker shock" is what turned me off from the first dvd releases of Star Trek TOS, which had two episodes per disc. (Each disc was sold seperately for around $20 a pop).

I looked into Connections around that same time period, but didn't find any good info. So I completely forgot about it over the years.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus

Just did some research and the first Connection series is for sale on Amazon for around $24 with shipping. Looks like the BBC released it in 2017 and it is a region 2.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Without going into technical details).

Essentially dvd-mod titles will never hit bargain bin prices, unless a huge distributor files for bankruptcy and liquidates all the dvd-mod inventory.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't really have any experience with DVD-MOD, so I'm not really sure of the downsides of it.

There really aren’t any - at this point the kinks have basically been worked out. It’s essentially a way for studios to provide copies of films that wouldn’t sell enough to justify replicating thousands of copies at once and distributing them to stores.

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Unreleased:

T.H.E. Cat
Suspicion
Panic!
(aka No Warning)
Dragnet (1950s version, official release)
Way Out
Great Ghost Tales
Bus Stop
12 O'clock High
The Man Who Never Was
Blue Light
G.E. True
Amos & Andy
77 Sunset Strip
Wichita Town
Trackdown
Richard Diamond, Private Detective
Journey to the Unknown
Hawk
N.Y.P.D.
Shotgun Slade
World of Giants
Klondike
Acapulco
The Rogues
The Lineup
The Green Hornet
Captain Nice
The Outcasts
Hoppity Hooper
(aka Uncle Waldo)
Diana
Suspense Theater
(aka Crisis)
The New Breed
Terriers
Daredevil: Season 3
The Punisher: Seasons 1 & 2
Cliffhangers!
Darkroom
(got a release in Australia, but is long out-of-print)
The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau (got a release in the UK, but is long out-of-print)
The National Geographic Specials (the classic David L. Wolper-produced shows from the 1960s and early 1970s)
Ripley's Believe It or Not! (the Jack Palance version)

Uncompleted:

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season 7 + The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (all 3 seasons) -- though I have the Region 2 DVDs of these
One Step Beyond (official release): Seasons 2 & 3
Beany & Cecil (the bulk of the cartoon series)
Mr. Novak: Season 2
The Jack Benny Program
(the bulk of the series)
SCTV (the final 'Cinemax' season, plus some missing 'early years' episodes)
Burke's Law: Seasons 2 & 3 (Amos Burke: Secret Agent)
Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theatre: Seasons 4 & 5
I'm Dickens... He's Fenster
(the 2nd half of its lone season)
The Alvin Show (the bulk of the series)
Saturday Night Live: Season 10 (cast: Billy Crystal, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, Martin Short, Rich Hall and Pamela Stephenson)
Don't forget Paradise/Guns of Paradise with Lee Horsley season 2 &3, Colt .45 with Wayde Preston & Alaskans from Warner Brothers.

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Don't forget Paradise/Guns of Paradise with Lee Horsley season 2 &3, Colt .45 with Wayde Preston & Alaskans with Roger Moore from Warner Brothers. Plus Ivanhoe with Roger Moore from the U.K.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I don't really have any experience with DVD-MOD, so I'm not really sure of the downsides of it.

For the most part (there are exceptions), MOD discs are burned (like you'd do on your computer) on DVD-Rs rather than pressed. They tend to be denigrated because DVD-Rs (and DVD+Rs) had a serious lot of QC problems. As Josh has said, they've gotten better since the early days, but they've garnered enough ill-will over the years that people automatically disregard them as a viable medium.

There are a couple of downsides, though. They tend to be authored with a minimum of "features"; one would be lucky to have a menu, or subtitles, to name two. If someone like Warner Archive Collection has an already-authored file for a previous DVD edition of something, they'll use that for the MOD edition, so you will get all of that. But for anything that didn't already have a DVD edition, they won't bother to include extras.

The second downside is that, because the manufacturing process doesn't have the economy of scale that pressing discs does, prices for MOD discs is still fairly high.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'm really down to just three titles that I think are possible:
1. A complete series St. Elsewhere.
2. A TV film City in Fear, starring Danid Janssen, Robert Vaughn, Mickey Rourke, Susan Sullivan and William Daniels.
3. The theatrical film What's So Bad About Feeling Good? with George Peppard and Mary Tyler Moore.
The first two have masters out there somewhere, as they've been shown recently in syndication or have been at least VHS video. The third, being a theatrical film from a major studio (Universal) with a known cast and known director (George Seaton, he of 36 Hours, Airport and Miracle on 34th Street) has a shot.

Two I have no hopes and fond dreams for:
1. Slattery's People
2. The Great Adventure

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks