What's new

Whassup with HTF? (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Rick:
It is a personal thing. The script doesn't like you. :)
I would give IE 6.0 a spin and see if you have the same problems with it that you have had with Opera. I have used Opera 6.01 on the forum several times without a problem. I wish I knew what was going on.
Parker

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
I wonder if it may have anything to do with Opera 6.01 and adbots? I've been running Ad-Aware for a while, and tonight, changed the cookie settings to where Opera would notify me of cookies being set. So I wonder if something changed between 6.0 and 6.01 that might conflict with Ad-Aware?
Holy smoke, they were popping up every few seconds! Double click was one of the major ones. But there were a number of other ones.
Note: I am using the freebie Opera.. with the ad banner in the upper right corner.
Gotta turn that option off.. :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Rick:

Rob Gillespie used to use a program that striped banner ads and stopped cookies and he had to disable it so that a cookie would be saved for him. I bet this is your problem.

Parker

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
FWIW, I'm still having the same problems. The two cookies get removed somehow. bbuserid and bbpassword will just magically disappear. bblastvisit usually sticks around.
I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with HTF or Parker's setup. I imagine it's some settings on my PC. Still doesn't bother me enough to care. :)

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
>Still doesn't bother me enough to care. <
Bottom line: I agree. When it works right, it's great. When it doesn't, I can work around it. NBD.
But it was interesting to find that others were having similar problems. ;)

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Parker,

I'm starting to think it's my Opera 6.01 that's at fault. I may try to go back to 6.0 if I can still find it. Or maybe a reinstall of 6.01? I dunno.

Although I've not had a problem being able to log in to HTF, today, I was unable to even login to the 'Spot. However, I could login using IE 6.0.

Go figure.

Scott_G

Second Unit
I've had similar problems with HTF asking me to login.

This is a W2K laptop and moves from Home to work - one docking station to another. The IP changes and my guess is sometimes this confuses either IE, HTF or messes up the cookies ???

Only happens sometimes.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Cookies and BBs have always been a major pain when getting them to work together. With UBB it was a constant problem. What works well with one site doesn't with another. Someone can log into here but they go to another site with the same software and they can't and vise versa. Every browser is different in the way that it handles cookies. You think they would have this all down by now but alas they do not.

If your cookie is not being saved and yet for 99.9% of the other members it is being saved then I can only assume that the problem is with a member's settings on his/her browser, the use of some ad-blocking program, the browser that they are using and so forth.

I wish I could offer more but believe me there are plenty of great programmers out there that still haven't figured out why cookies work the way that they do.

Parker

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Ah well. All I can say is that it worked just fine for a long time. And frankly, it's working fine at the moment (w/r/t HTF). My user ID and p/w are being remembered and I haven't had to sign-in lately (the last day or so). I'm still having a problem at the 'Spot.
But it would be nice to know what I did that caused the problems in the first place. (wishful thinking)
:angry:

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Update: getting somewhat frustrated with Opera 6.01's problems.. not just here but elsewhere, I decided to uninstall Opera altogether. I then went into my Opera folder and deleted *everything* remaining.. all sub-directories, everything.

I used IE 6.0 to go to the Opera site and got a fresh copy of Opera 6.01 from a different source than before, installed it, and now find that everything that was broken is now fixed!

I haven't tried the print function yet to see if that was also fixed (I sorta doubt it), but am glad to report that I have not yet found a problem signing onto any site and having Opera remember what it should.

Greg Y: perhaps this would fix your problems too?

I'll keep y'all posted if it breaks again.

Thanks!

Edit: One thing I still notice (NBD) is that the msg counts are screwed up. Is that still me? (my number shows 508 posts for every post in this thread... and no one else's msg count changes either)

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Well, seems I'm back to the original problem with intermittent loss of ID/pw.. even in the same forum. I can do the back arrow method to make it work when replying.

Strange. Really strange.

Thought I'd let you know.

Edit: same thing happened when I tried to preview this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks