Wharfedale's on UBID....HELP!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Webb, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Michael Webb

Michael Webb Stunt Coordinator

I've done some thread searching, but what's up with these Wharfedale's on UBID? There are SSOOOO many different lines to choose from, different price ranges, etc. Would a set of these towers be a decent 2.1 channel set-up for a while. I can tell the VALDUS line is obviously for music only, but if you were looking, which ones would be a good overall pick? Emeralds look nice, and people in the past have seemed to like them, but can't tell who uses what for just music, or mostly ht(what I'm looking for). Any tips, tricks to winning on ubid, just started looking their, and am getting excited.......oh excuse me!

2. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

In the USA, Wharfedale sells mainly thru Ubid and
    Amazon.com Wharfedale in the USA sells for considerably less than they do over seas. Ubid sell them at a ridiculously low price (often their shipping is more than the speakers). It seems strange that Wharfedale would sell thru ubid at prices that are less than the raw materials. But it is true.

The emerald is their best speakers. I picked up a set of emerald 93 and matching center formy bedroom home theater. they sound outrageously good....easily rivaling speakers selling $500 and over (they have a great silk dome).

Don't overlook the Diamond Anniversary. Heard these and they also are remarkable....a no brainer at the prices they can be had.

Actually the Valdus is not bad. Heard these. They have a nice warm midrange and sound balanced. In comparison to the Diamond and Emerald, they is a lack of transparency (due to the use of polycarbonate tweeters vs silk dome).

Listened and graphed all three sets. I am impressed with performance vs price of the Wharfedale line.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Do some searches for "Wharfedale" here, you'll find a lot of information. I got a pair of Modus 1.6 towers at Ubid for a very low price and I've been happy with them for my use.

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Michael,

There are quite a few of us on this forum. I run 4 Emerald 97 towers and can heartily recommend them. I am not a big fan of the Emerald center however. The 97's are a Music Lovers dream and are equally adept at HT. The levels of refinement, transparency and soundstaging are remarkable at this price range. Mine are in Walnut but I know that Ubid often has the Black available. While excellent all-round speakers they are truly at home with acoustical content and voices. My total investment including the ridiculous Ubid shipping was under $650...an absolute steal at the time considering their performance. Nowadays I see some lucky dogs are actually paying a lot less. I suggest you run, not walk, to the Ubid site and try to snag a pair or two. Or if you need something smaller and available the Diamond Anniversary's are very nice performers for HT.

Ubid has changed a lot since my spate of activity earlier this year. It seems to be quite common in some areas for prices to be settled rather than open for bidding.

Good Luck.

5. Michael Webb

Michael Webb Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys for the help. I've done quite a bit of researching over the evening on all of the Wharfedale line-ups. I had planned on getting an entire JBL system, which I still might, but darn it if I couldn't help but bid on a pair of Valdus 500's. They just look so darn good, and since some people seem to absolutely love them, and some seem to dispise them, I figured for $89 a piece, what the hell. I'm thinking about getting the center channel today(have heard it's the best piece in the Valdus line) but plan on stopping at that, in case I don't like them, I can always cut my loss's. The Emerald line they had was also very tempting, but the starting bid was $200 for the Emerald 99's and for that, I would probably go with the tried and trusted JBL S310. So we'll see, who know, I might become a new Wharfedale lover, will let everyone know how I like them. I think the big kicker was that EVERYONE has JBL's, I just wanted to be a little different, that's all!