wharfedale?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JessyMcK, Feb 24, 2005.

1. JessyMcK

JessyMcK Agent

I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers. I need all 5. A smaller center, it will be on fireplace mantel, bookshelf for the fronts and walll mountable rears. I was thinking Axiom M3ti for L/R, VP100 for center, and QS4 for suur. Now I came across these, Wharfedale Diamond 8 for center, diamond 8.2 for L/R, and WH-2BLK for surr. What do you think would be better. Axiom's cost $900. Wharefedale cost $500 plus shippind. I want to upgrade from Bose. I will also be using a svs 20-35 PCi sub. Room is 14wx22lx8h. Reciever for now is a panasonic, will be upgraded later. Also if i use wafredales, is it better to bi-wire?

2. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

Jessy,

My recommendation is look into some Wharfedale Diamond 9 series that have just been released. Go to their website for more info. If you do decide to go for the 8's, cause they will be considerably less, then I'd recommend you get the Daimond DFS surrounds instead of the WH2. Check out this website where I purchased my Diamonds. They sell them for like 37% off list!
    www.ayselectronics.com

I haven't heard the Axiom but it's my understanding they're great little speakers.
    Oh, and bi-wiring isn't really worth it from what I've read.
    Biamping on the other hand might be something I look into down the road.

3. ChrisRuh

ChrisRuh Stunt Coordinator

I ended up getting a screaming deal on Wharfedale Diamond 8's with the DFS surrounds. All I can say is that I love them. Especially the DFS surrounds, they are really an exceptional pair of speakers. The Diamond 9s are supposed to be even better, but if you can find a deal on the 8s, I'd say do it.

4. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Keep in mind that, from my observations, it is pretty standard for Wharfedales to sell for 75% of list across most if not all of their lines.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

So where can I find the Opus line for 75% off? [​IMG]

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Kevin:
    75% "of" list, ~{not 75% off list}~..[​IMG]

Either it was meant as a Opus joke or you just read it wrong...

Chad:
    That Inet store in Texas selling the Wharfs, do they handle & have in stock the D-9 line, or just the D-8's and the other Wharfs they show.
    Evo-70, never heard of it. I think they mean the Opus, strange..[​IMG]

Anyway, (No D-9s) listed at the site...

Tanks
    Geoff ¥

7. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

Geoff,
    As far as I know they only stock what you see, if that.I've never been to their store, my 8's were delivered. I actually bought a full setup of the Crystal series for my brother thru them and they had to be ordered. So they can get anything from Wharfedale they don't actually stock. The Diamond 9 series just came out so I'm not sure how available they are here in the states yet.

Yeah, they use the original names for the Opus line which was a continuation of the of the Evo line in numerical sequence.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Geoff- 75% of list ain't no big thang. Typical markup on electronics is 40%, on speakers it's 50%. That's why I assumed it was 75% off list. [​IMG]

9. Raj_asaurus

Raj_asaurus Stunt Coordinator

How is the sites service? How long does it take for them to get the order from the manufacturer?

10. JessyMcK

JessyMcK Agent

are these speakers always a good price or not... I have $600 right now that I was going to order a sub with, but should I get the wharfe's instead. I do have spweaker s already and a reciever. I have bose . Should I get the sub or speakers, i have no sub and it will be along time before i have the money again, at least the end of summer. Shoud i wait for the 9 series instead of the 8's? And what is diff between 6 ohm and 8 ohm speakers?

11. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

Raj, to answer your questions:
    1)their service was what I'd call straight to the point and no small talk, even their e-mails, very "robotic"
    2)if I'm not mistaken I waited about a week before they had the setup I ordered so pretty quick

Jessy, yes the Diamonds are a great bargain, always IMO.
    Between sticking with the Bose and switching to Diamond 8's (or 9's) or getting an SVS when you had no sub at all...............that's a damn good question. You'll have to weigh that for yourself.

I might get the SVS and start saving for Diamond 9's to come as soon as funds permit. If you can live with your current setup for a while longer.

12. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

I looked at a pair of Opus 2's (rosewood) about a month and a half ago. They are demo models that are just like new and 50% off (around $1,000 for the pair, if memory serves).

I was at the store to AB a pair of Axiom M60's against some Wharfedale Evo-30's and afterwards asked the owner if I could AB the Opus 2 against the Evo-30. I was willing to spend more for the bargain priced Opus-2's providing they were to my liking and would timber match to the Evo series (not to mention they were the same finish as the Evo's).

The Opus-2 easily pounded out more bass but I preferred the sound of the Evo-30's. These are two very different sounding speakers so there is no way I could have timber matched them with the Evo center and surrounds. I think the Opus sound was too laid back for my taste. I still can't get over the size of the Opus towers.

I was just in the store just last week to pick up a calibration DVD and noticed they still have the Opus towers sitting around.

13. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

what chad said!