What's new

Wharfedale WH2's Wire Size (1 Viewer)

Don__C

Grip
I am installing a pair of Wharfedale WH2 surrounds and need help deciding wire size. Does anyone think it adequate to use 18 awg for these small speakers @ 40'. Reason being, I want to run ulta flat wire (.05 mm)since I'm going to wallpaper room anyway. I know I can get larger sizes in reasonably flat wire, but prices go up exponentially in this real thin stuff. Would prefer not to throw away money if 18awg will do the job.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For 40' you should use no less than 14ga., unfortunately. What you might be able to do is use two runs of wire per speaker and connect them together, to effectively give you a higher total ga. Do you have the speaker specs?

Don__C

Grip
No, I don't have the specs, but come to think of it, I have read elsewhere that Wharfedale speakers tend to be a little power hungry. I suspect your right and they're going to need 14 awg.:angry:

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
I have these as rear wall mounted, rear surrounds in my Home Theater Bedroom Experience. They are mounted about a foot from the ceiling and about a foot from the side walls. The specs are:

~ Nominal Impedance - 6 Ohms

~ Power Handling - 120 Watts

~ Sensitivity (1W@1m) - 88 dB

~ Frequency response = 80-20 kHz

~ Bass Unit - 2 x 100mm

~ Treble Unit - 2 x 28mm Dome

~ H x W x D - 9.6x 8.9x 5.0

These are relatively inexpensive Bipolar speakers ( I got mine from Amazon.com for $100 with free shipping). The manual says they "are designed for wall mounting and intended for use solely as rear effects speakers". They are not ported and the woofers have very little travel, or rather are of the inefficient type. They have cherry wood tops and bottoms and two black grills apiece. They work fine for my bedroom system.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If they were 4ohm and higher sensitivity, you probably could have gotten away with 16ga, but at 6 Ohm and 88dB sensitivity, you're going to need to stick with 14ga minimum.

Don__C

Grip
Based on what I'm hearing, have decided to scrap the under wallpaper approach and go concealled. Will use 12awg to play it safe. Thanks for the info.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks