Wharfedale speakers ?????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke D, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Luke D

Luke D Agent

Oct 7, 2002
    I am in the middle of building my HT (just framed out). I am slowly getting the components for it. the room size will be 20’ wide X 12 deep X 7’ high ceilings. My question is about Wharfedale speakers, are they any good? I am currently looking at the Diamond 8 series. can they be compared to the klisch Reference Series or the Energy Connoisseur series. No stores around me carry them so I can not listen to them. Looking for input.

Sorry I forgot I will be hooking them up to a Marantz 7200 receiver
  2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jan 23, 1999
    I have a set of older Wharfs in a stereo only system that I got from uBid for an incredibly low price a few months ago, and I'm fairly happy with them. They are no equal to my B&W 600 series main system, but they were a fraction of the price. For the price I paid I say go go go, but for full retail I'd hesitate and want to give them a good listen.

Search here on the forum, there have been many threads about Wharfedale speakers.
  3. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

Jun 5, 2002
    I used to have a complete Wharfedale Diamond setup with 8.3's in front, diamond 8 center, and 8.1's for surrounds.

I'm also using a Marantz SR7200. It sounded great and I was totally happy. After two months, I heard a B&W DM601 S3, and it was a LOT better than the Diamonds.

The 601S3 was punchier and at the same time, it showed more detail in the music that the Diamonds couldn't.

However, for the great price of the Diamonds, I would say go for it! But if you have extra cash to spend, then go for 601S3's.

Believe me, you don't have to be an expert to hear the difference between the Diamonds and the 600 series.