What's new

Wharfedale Speakers (comments and mini review) (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Well im glad they fit 3/4 of the bill Philip.

No, I have not read the reviews on the Modas 1.6 or any of the Modas line at Audio Review! Only read about Emerald lines at AR and a pro mag review of the Pacific's. All Modas reviews and or info was drawn from what owners wrote HERE at HTF... Most are extremly pleased at their given Ubid price point.

I only suggested the bi-wire as trying to get all you can from the speaker with what you have. I also agree that Bi-wiring is not going to be the fix-all in this situation by 'ANY Means'!

The Emeralrds, IMO have a supurb midrange and I felt the Modas 1.6 though maybe not as refined & accurate would follow suite as their driver make-up & design is very similar. In your case I was obviously wrong to make a judgement call when never actually hearing the speaker in question.

I certainly hope they get better (the midrange problem) if thats even possible, and as you said for the money they will do the job.

Regards
Geoff

Seth_L

Screenwriter
So these speakers are really going that cheaply on UBID, huh? The Infinity's too? WOW! I just figured the auctions were being bid up in the closing minutes, like what happens so often on E-bay, I should have watched more closely!

Now, can I get approval from my chief financial officer (aka/wife)! Hey, I have some sports (baseball/basketball/etc) cards from early 1990's and before, anyone want to trade?
Thanks to Ubid they go for a pitance on E-bay too. People are buying from Ubid and selling 'em on E-bay for a profit. Seems there are some morons though. They're flooding e-bay and hardly covering expenses.

All prices below are before S&H. Maple seems to be the cheapest color on the Infinity Interludes.

I've seen a lot of Infinity IL40s close around $140. Same price for the IL50s (which I think sound terrible). IL60s are pretty rare and are closer to $400 each. IL30s close around $100 each. IL10's around $70.

Modus 1.6 (new or refurb) - $39 (I've seen 'em close as low as $15)
Emerald 99 - $79 (depends on color)
Sapphire 89 - $69 (depends on color)

Seth

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Hello All-
Let me again chime in here regarding my Experience with the Modus Music 1.6!
They are FINALLY Broken in and they are getting enough JUICE power wise with the Parasound 855A. I found the sound much improved with this set-up. The Mid-bass/Mid-Range did get an improvement after break-in and got even better with the separate amp. PLACEMENT is a BIG factor for these speakers due to the fact that they ar ported from the back and the front! I keep mine about 1.25-2 feet away from the wall and they are about 8 feet apart. They don't have a wall on their sides except for the RPTV which is in the middle.
I also found that the farther they are from the back wall the boomier they get but once you reach about 5 feet from the wall the Bass is reduced and the mids are also reduced (just a tad).
I use the spikes that came with them and have them faced straight forward without toe-in/out. My listening position (sweet spot) is in the middle (on-axis) about 7-8 feet away.
With the way they are set-up now, they sound AMAZING in 2 channel stereo with a sub. No complains about midbass/range here!
And NO I DONT Listen to ROB ZOMBIE for dinner. I find myself listening to a LOT of Easy Jazz lately from the Sattelite TV!
I hope this helps.
Thanks
Angelo

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The Mid-bass/Mid-Range did get an improvement after break-in
That's great to know!

I just want to make it clear that I got exactly what I wanted from these speakers. They are very elegant looking, and sound much better than what I was using. Honestly they are an incredible bargain at the price, and I will recommend them in the future. $39 each plus shipping is an absolute steal. I'm hoping to take some photos as I get the room rearranged.

Gary Halm

Auditioning
hope you guys don’t mind me jumping in on this thread but it’s really been an interesting read on the wharfedales.
i am trying to get started in this home theater “thing” and i’m trying to make some sound(ok, pun intended) decisions about speakers. i am considering the Sapphire 87’s and the modus 1.6. i am trying to stay within budget and had a few questions.
how reliable is ubid in your opinion? does the fact that the shipping cost are 50% of what you are paying bother you? have any of you had any experience with the Returnbuy selections of the Modus 1.6 on ebay, you can get the speaker shipped for about $75/ea(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1370718384), is this a decent item?
i want a great sounding home theater experience but i also enjoy listening to music.
i would also welcome your comments on the wharfedale subs and centers. presently i am considering the JBL 12” 250 watt sub, how would you compare that to the wharfedales?
which center would you use with one other the larger wharfedale fronts?
my thinking is that the towers are going to give me better sound when i listen to music. i know that what i hear and what you guys hear will be two different things, but i think taking your advice can be of far more benefit to a guy like me than to not listen to what you say. btw, i am leaning toward the modus 1.6's....
i don’t have a problem with buying s reburb or something that comes off a scratch and dent sale as i’m pretty good at fixing things. you might be inclined to suggest a “build my own” and while i have considered that, from a time standpoint i just don’t have extra that i could devote to it right now.
i know i’ve thrown a bunch of questions at you, hope you don’t mind. thanks ahead of time for your responses.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Gary

I've read many pages of ReturnBuys feedback at Ebay, and my take is be very leary! Get the feeling it's a toss of a coin if your going to be happy with your buy!
Personaly, I would not chance it.

Ubid has it horror stories, but as you have seen in this thread many products mainly speakers have been purchased with no problems. I would buy from Ubid LONG before taking a chance with "ReturnBuy"!

As to Ubids shipping, this is how they get some $$ for their products I would certainly assume! Yeh shipping stinks, but some great deals can be had their on many things audio.
Take your time at Ubid as new auctions come daily for the many different Wharfs and just buy your Wharf models right.

Like Phil at 39.00 a speak and shipping, assuming you go with the Modus 1.6. Seen them go for as little as 15.00 in Black though factory refurbs.

I can't speak to Wharfs subs in general and probley would look else where for that. You might try Audio Review for reviews of certain Wharedale sub models you might run into at Ubid.
The Pacific 12" Warfedale sub, currently their best sub I belive, got a good review in Guide to Home Theater mag. Tight, smoothe, well liked but it's extension falls of steeply after 30hz. They had the Limited Edition model, (LE) which is the Maple real wood venner. Pictures of it looked very sweet. They also commented on it's excellent build quailty and great fit and finish.

The JBL-12 is a good sub at it's price point and J&R.com had it selling very cheap with free shipping awhile ago, may still be going on...
Just research and read about the many many subs out their in your price point, of which you did not mention was what?

Hopefully others will chime in with their take and ideas for you...

Best Regards
Geoff

Gary Halm

Auditioning
thanks for the info geoff, i think i will take your advice on return buy. i have never used ubid before while i have bought from ebay although it wasn't audio stuff. i just found the shipping at ubid a bit hard to take but in the end it's about the total $ for a speaker and it would seem the modus 16's are well worth the $100/ea price.

i am tempted to get the jbl 12, i know it's not top of the line but for $250 it seems a decent buy.

i'm planning on buy the surrounds at a later date(i'll use some spares i currently own), might look at some of the klipsch quintet for those.

btw, i check out audioreview.com on almost a daily basis..

any advice for a $150-$180 center?

thanks for the input.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Gary
As to a Center, keeping in the same family as your mains is the rule of thumb. If you go with the Modus 1.6 for mains you may want to check out the Modus center.
First let me say I have not heard any of the Modus line, but it's seems quite clear if you can pick up the top line 1.6 Modus tower at 100.00 or less that would be a no brainer for starts. Im sure someone hear has the matching Modus Center and could speak to it's abilitys far better than I dare speculate. I would say, unless someone can cleary give you a good take as to why not to, GO with the matching Modus Center.
Also it's available at Ubid frequently and cheap!
I hope others will come in that have this set up in front, 1.6 and the matching Center and give you their take, along with what their using to drive them with as far a Receiver, Apms, etc....
The JBL sub is a good choice but you might want to post your budget on that part of your system and ask for some suggestions. Make clear what you can "SPEND" and if Movies or Music is a (Priority), or what the split its if their is one... (ie) (60/40%)-movies-music!
This will help others to give you more ideas and suggestions as to what might suite your needs best. At the same time maybe saving you a few bucks. In the END it's your deciesion but user feedback and suggestions certainly can't hurt.;)
Start a new thread for that with the proper heading...
Wharf update::::
I spoke with Jeff at IAG-America (Wharfedale-USA) just recently and he told me you will see allot of their stuff going threw Ubid in the up-coming months. They, (Wharf) are looking to move back into the "Higher End" speaker market. Starting with the launch of the Pacific-Evolution series. He said ~{nothing currently sold or built by Wharf}~ even comes close to the quailty and sound the Evolution series speakers produce. He also stated you will *NEVER* see these make it to Ubid period. As new lines are developed they also will not be going to Ubid. He stated they will slowly be moving away from Ubid & Amazon over the next 1 to 1 1/2 years. After that, no Ubid or Amazon retail sales. You will have to go to the B&M stores to demo & buy or possibly from them (Wharf) direct.
I thought I'd pass this on to those who might be waiting for the deals to come at Ubid. The deals might and might not keep coming in the up-coming months. As stock runs out of their current lines im sure that will be noticed at Ubid with their presence no longer being their.
Like the Pacific line and Pacific LE line. If you see them grab-em cause their already totally discontiued and whats out their is all thats left. Other lines will be droped also, though he didn't elaborate as to which ones and when...
Wharfs customer support is excellent as some have already found out. Unfortunatly, I need to call them again today as my new Oak Center grill and 2-7.8" drivers for my Oak Emerald 99's still have not shown in over a week and a half. Normaly parts in stock are shipped same day no questions asked and Fedexed to you in 3-days or less.
Good luck Gary
Geoff

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to post here that I'm warming to my Modus 1.6 speakers. They are really a steal at the price I got them for from uBid and uBid was very good to deal with. I think if you can get two 1.6s for the front and two for the back that would be a heck of a set up! The Modus Center also shows up regularly on uBid.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hey Philip

Are you warming up to them or are they changing in sound slightly?

Possibly both?

Just curious as the midrange thing really took me for a loop.

Geoff

Gary Halm

Auditioning
Geoff, thanks for the info.
sorry it’s taken me awhile to get back with you, work has been keeping me very busy.
now, as to your points.
about the sub, i am trying to limit myself to around $250-300 for this item. there are probably some options better than the JBL, but so far i haven’t read anything that would make me change my mind. having heard it reinforces my belief that it’s a decent product and it’s fits in my budget and right now i am trying to make decisions about each piece of the puzzle. i don’t want to make a hasty decision by any means but sometimes i feel as though i am getting weary of the pursuit as there are just so many busy areas of my life right now and i would really like to have my HT setup to enjoy...:)
you mention the center being from the same family...how about it, does anyone have the modus or any other wharfedale centers that can shed some light on this subject?
Geoff, you say $100/ea for the 1.6 is a no brainer...i am open to any of the wharf’s in the towers really, in fact i’ve been chatting with one of the guys here about picking up a couple of his used 87’s—i’m researching that option right now. but from what i’ve read, it seems the 1.6’s get a little bit better reviews than the 87’s although i am sure there are those on this forum that love their 87’s! btw, i’ve also seen the valdus 500’s for about the same price as the 1.6’s—i’ve read alot of the reviews on it at audioreview.com and i am generally impressed with it also.
you mentioned that i should state my budget,--at this point i intend to spend around $1,000 for speakers and a entry level receiver(looking at a marantz 4200 at http://64.105.115.131/aless4/Corpora...4200&cc=&tpc=. i’m probably going to hold off on the surrounds at this point and use a couple of speakers i currently own. i probably will use the system about 50/50 for ht and music, i listen to a wide variety of styles including rock, classical and jazz.
i do have several other threads i’ve posted on just this subject and have received some good info. i greatly appreciate the responses and hope to report back to you on how my choices sound when i get everything in place. and believe me, the info i have learned on this forum has absolutely without a doubt saved me $$$ and more importantly, will insure that my home theater experience will ultimately be a better one than i originally would have had if not for your help. so thanks to all of you for your help.
i found your info on the future of wharf products on ubid interesting. i’ll keep this in mind, who knows, i might end up with several sets of the wharfs as some of you already are doing! ;-)
thanks alot folks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks