What's new

Wharfedale speaker (1 Viewer)

ralm

Auditioning
hi, would a wharfedale diamond 9.4 speaker match w/ my yamaha avr 75w? have heard wharfs speakers are hard to drive. i plan on getting both 9.4 and 9cs. thanks

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Don't know what the spl @1w/1m is on any of the Wharf Diamond 9 series is.

Assuming their similar to the last Diamond 8's or Emerald-MKIV (86db to 89db) it would be dependent on the size of your room, at what spl level you like to listen, and if a sub is going to be used.

If you run the speaks small and have a powered subwoofer taking over from their, it will ease the load on the Yammi as it now will only be driving the midbass/midange and up freqs. (crossover selected dependent)

Tho the Yammi says 75-watts a channel I don't know if it's been tested and what it's true output power watt wise is. If you have a 2000cf^³ or smaller room, use a sub with speaks set small and listen below Ref volume, (most do), I'd "imagine" you'll have no problem what so ever.
I don't with 80-watts a channel and a couple DIY subs using (88db) speaks set to small/60Hz. No strain whats so ever and play louder than I care to listen, -10 no problem in a 2480cf^³ room..

If you have access to demoing the speaks, drag your receiver in and a spl meter and do some listening and basic spl-measuring to get a more realistic idea of what to expect both spl and sound wise (with and without a sub).

And yes, most Wharfs are somewhat power hungry speaks. Never hurts to have more clean power/headroom driving any speaker...

Hope that helps some...

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks