Wharfedale Pacific 40's- Any opinions??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Johnson, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Just wondering if anyone has these or has heard these speakers.
    Of course UBID is starting to sell them, and although my past experience with UBID wasnt the greatest the speakers do "look" ok. I am looking for a wood enclosure that will match my room. (hardwood floors,oak trim)
    Specs...
    * 3 way front ported floor standing system
    * 200 Watts peak power handling
    * 6 ohms Nominal Impedence
    * 43.5"(H) x 9"(W) x 14.5"(D) Overall Dimensions
    * 6.5" Kevlar Cone Woofer
    * 1" Silk Dome (neodymium magnet, ferrofluid cooled)
    * 89db (1 watt/1 meter)
    * 28Hz - 20kHz Frequency Response
    * 6.5" KEVLAR cone
    The low sensitivity worries me. Along with nothing stated about being bi-wireable.
    Any responses or suggestions are appreciated. My room is approx 21 x 11. 50/50 ht/music and only push the speakers only when I play music. (oh, and a budget of under $600)
    Picture of the speaker(s) http://216.33.72.165/mgen/pimg/scale...jpg%22,400,400

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hello Brian,
    I have auditioned in-store the Pacific series. They are superb. I own the Emerald 97's but consider the Pacific 40 to be it's equal in many respects and better in others. There are two current reviews on the Pi series:
    Feb/March---The Absolute Sound
    Feb---Stereophile Guide to Home Theater
    The Kevlar drivers are sonically superior to my ear than the Emerald's drivers but that is a judgement call. The tweeter is the same as the 97's but is exposed and adjustable creating even greater imaging and soundstage. That is why I give the slight nod to the Pi's. Believe me, it takes some doing to better these strong qualities of the Emeralds.
    The sensitivity is 1 dB greater than my 97's and I have no problem driving mine with great satisfaction using 70 quality watts or so. If your receiver is currently less powerful than you desire, I might suggest finding a more efficient speaker. Wharfedales can be driven quite well with less power however and your space is not overly large (similar to mine). I believe you will have no problem with a decent receiver or amp. Please note that these speakers like to breathe and are not video shielded so space is an essential element.
    Every Wharfedale Tower model I know of is Bi-wirable. There may be some Bookshelfs which are not but I haven't come across any yet. I believe only some center channels are not Bi-wirable due to some questionable Wharfedale logic.
    Do you have anywhere you can hear them? If not, allow yourself to be pleasantly surprised/shocked at the quality sound which you can purchase reliably without audition. I know Ubid has some horror stories but I have yet to have a problem with many transactions under my belt.
    Here is the IAG web address if you don't already have it. You can view all the current and former models:
    http://www.iagamerica.com/wharfedale/index.htm
    Good Luck.

3. Brian Johnson

Thanks for the reply Paul.
    My receiver is the entry level Denon 1602. Which is only rated at 70 watts x 5. So I think a more efficient speaker may be in order. I wish I could audition them locally but haven't found anyone that sells them.
    I don't fully understand efficieny ratings much though. Considering I hardly turn things up very loud except for music. If I have a lower effiency rating, doesnt that mean I will just have to turn the receiver up a little more to get to the same volume of a more efficient speaker?? When I watch movies by myself I usually dont get more than -10db on the receiver.
    I will shop around. I have a PSB,a Klipsch, & a Paradigm dealer locally. I now Klipsch has a great efficieny rating, but the RF3 they sell is black, the RF5 & RF7 which are available in wood are out of my price range. The PSB isnt much more efficient then the Wharfe's, and truthfully, I havent read many solid reviews on Paradigm.
    ACK this has turned into another headache. I've been looking for a couple months now on the speaker that "blows me away" in both looks & sound, and I am still not any closer [​IMG]

4. Paul Clarke

Hello Brian,

I don't want to give you the wrong impression. The Wharf's are NOT difficult to drive. Your 1602 would certainly handle the chore. I believe the Pi's are 30-200 watt rated so you have a lot of wiggle room.

Consider your speaker choice as a long term investment. Once made, you would likely only need more 'juice' to satisfy the craving for greater efficiency and dynamics. But as the 1602 is currently entry level and the Pi's are top of the line, for me the choice would be simple one, especially at the price. I understand, however, that I have had the advantage of hearing them and love the sound. Also, the cabinetry is superbly done. You would not be disappointed in either regard. These speakers are very high quality.

As you may know, Amazon currently handles many of the Wharfedales as well, although at higher prices than you will find at Ubid. You should consider the Oak Emerald 97's as well. Ebay is another great source, especially for the Oak.

5. Brian Johnson

Thanks Paul. You have been a great help. Love the look the Emerald 97's in their oak finish. I am going out run around to the few audio dealers we have locally. Also going to a larger city about 30 miles out. I am checking the yellow pages to see what kind of audio stores they have.
    Wish me luck [​IMG]

6. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

Brian-
    I was also looking at those from ubid. I have the Modus 1.6 which I really really enjoy. They are great speakers and sound sooooo much better Bi-wired.
    One thing to keep in mind about the Pacifics is that they are 6 ohms ..if your receiver does like this, you might wanna reconsider.
    Good luck and happy listening
    Angelo

7. Paul Clarke

Hello Angelo,

I was wondering if you or Geoff were going to chime in here.

No slight to the 1.6's but I didn't run them by Brian because of the wood choices. I'm glad you like your's. Have you found the right positions for them and the tweeter angle? Isn't it amazing the imaging and soundstage that emanates from these English contraptions?

Just got back from the 'local' Tweeter in nearby Columbia. Nice place. Decent selection all around. Got to drool over the Pioneer Elite Plasma screen...what an image!

Paul

8. Angelo_Petralba

Paul-

I wanted to write some more, but the speakers are not quite broken in yet. I can tell you however that the positioning of these speakers do play a MAJOR role on the output.

At this time, I am more than happy that I purchased this set and would recommend them to anyone to take a listen. I'm a happy camper!

Angelo

9. Paul Clarke

That's what I try to tell anyone who's interested in the Modus 1.6's. Any rear ported tower with an exposed tweeter and another front port is going to be placement sensitive. But I know the effort pays off in the long run. I just wish Wharfedale had made the 1.6's in lighter color wood choices. I guess that's why they made the Pi's. It seems they took the Emeralds and the Modus Music designs and blended them together to make the Pacifics. Smart move.

Paul

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hello Brian, Paul, and Angelo --->
    Brian,
    I can't add much to Pauls well put read, but as far as your concern with the Denons power driveing the Pi's I don't belive it will be a problem!
    Are you planning to run them full range or do you also run a powered sub?
    If your running a powered sub
    *Im absolutly positive* your concern with power rateings and the 89db efficency is not going to be one. I started out driveing them ~{the 95's doing just stereo}~ with my SAE A-502 Amp and Pre the moved to a vintage Marantz and now have it hooked up with a lower-mid line DD Yammie 70 per channel. It provides Ample Volume ~{without strain}~ driveing the full set of Oak Emeralds 95 towers, 93 bookies and matching Center. All are set to small and room size is nearly the same cubic ft volume as yours! The 95's & 93's carry an 89db senstivity and center at 90db ~ 8ohm.
    As Brian noted the ~{6 ohm load}~ is something you will have to check to see if the Denon likes or not. I belive, that the Denon should have no problem with that load. Check your manual to be sure...
    I can't speak directly to the sound of the Pi 40' as I have not listened to them YET, but do plan to soon. [​IMG]
    Paul stated quite nicley the differances between the two lines as far as the kevlar driver differances, and (top mounted directional) same silk tweeter. Once fully broken in they are incrediable. Bi-wire is a must to get the most out of the Emeralds and surley the Pi's would benifit big time also.
    =======
    Im also positive as Paul noted, that the Pi's are Bi-wireable.
    =======
    A quick search in the speaker area will bring up a thread started by Angelo dealing with the Modus 1.6 that Paul and I took over :b discussing our pleasure and ~{my pleasant surprise}~ of the sound of the Emerald speaker line.
    ========
    I bought ~{unheard and skeptical}~ like your possibly looking to do!
    ========
    I would agree with Paul that I doubt you would be unhappy with the Pi's sound, looks, and price.
    If you dont't care for accurate sound, fantastic imageing, and a midrange to die for than you should look eleswhere, but if this appeals to you I think you will like them very much. Of course add great build quailty, real wood, and excellent looks and their pretty tuff to take. [​IMG]
    Not to imply that these speakers are for everyone as speakers are probley the single biggest subjective thing in a system. But a listen at least is worth your time IMO. Now having a complete set of Emeralds, at their price point, a quiet Britt sleeper if there ever was one IMO.
    Defenitly go to their site and check to see if there is a dealer near you. If so, give them a listen along with your other choices you might be looking into. It's been nearly 6 weeks now and though this is the lower end bedroom system, I am still amazzzzzed at the quailty of sound that the Emeralds produce.
    Like many, I would have never given these things a chance in hell, but I walked into a fantasic deal and took a chance! I've haven't quit smileing sence!!
    Good luck
    Geoff

11. chris evans

chris evans Auditioning

I'd like to say I'm using a pair of modus 8 for my fronts a pair validus 100s for my rears and pi center and I love it I really love it

I also have a pair of bang and olufsens I spent 16 grand on and I still cant get them to play like this don't get me wrong I'm not stupid I bought the b&o for the clarity but when want to enjoy a movie or blow my roof off I turn to my wharfdales I had 600 budget for my fronts but I would have easily paid twice that for the modus so I think you will be happy whit the pi's

12. Paul Clarke

If we don't quit this soon, some of us are going to get reps. You know---Thinking JBL...Calling Phil, calling Phil. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Angelo_Petralba

I can see it now....CALLING Geoff, Paul, Angelo...

Wharfedale questions! Input please!!!

lol

14. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

You have a Paradigm dealer... listen to the Paradigm Reference Studio 40 (not the 20)... great sound.

15. Paul Clarke

Hello Steve and Karen,
    I have. I agree. There are many similarities in terms of drivers with the Emeralds, as you may know. I am a big fan of the aluminum dome tweeter concept---heck, I've even heard Yamahas with similar tweeters I liked a great deal. I find with the Aluminum dome the 40's to be even more 'critical and exposing' than the 97's with similar mid-range and bass drivers. All of this is so subjective. I guess I personally have a 'thing' for the silk dome. I know it's been done to death but that's just the way it is.
    The Studio 40 is a beast of a Bookshelf speaker. With a sound and imaging quality you rarely find at this size range, I can't imagine anyone fighting with more weight. You just don't need towers with these kinds of speakers but then again, I'm set in my ways. I like the tall, slender tower look...no stands.
    Not to mention the price difference. I was able to get my Mark IV 97's for a STEAL. But if you can price match [​IMG], I'll consider Paradigm more strongly in the future.
    Paul
    P.S. Wharfedale makes a 99 but I can't find it anywhere. Now THAT would be the perfect choice for me.

16. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Yeh yeh yeh.....[​IMG]
    It's just that I never would have thought or drawn from what I had read that these things could and do sound so good!
    We all get excieted when something new comes to our home for the first time. Usually we have done some home work and tried are best to bring the biggest bang for the buck with us. I can't say that if I was forced to pay retail (and who pays retail) that I would still purchace the Emeralds. For at the Emeralds full retail there is stiff compition to be had!
    BUT, at Ubid or in my case a private deal with someone who had fallen into a bad situation, allows the product (in this case Wharfedale) a full brand new set of 5 Emeralds in Oak to come to my home bought ~{unheard and unseen}~!
    I read what I could find on them but at the price I paid I actually said to my self if their that bad I can use them in the garage.
    The Short and Sweet-->
    My jaw drop at what I was hearing comeing from these things while fresh out of the box. I have never posted so much about any product EVER period. Yes these things shocked the shi* out of me.
    There is so much to choose from when it comes to speakers for HT and Stereo it boggels the mind. One can listen for hours to many differant brands at many price points but untill their in your home, their real performance will still be somewhat shaded & unknown.
    ===========>
    I do hope these few threads do draw some ATTENTION to the average HT-er, as their afforable and an astounding buy threw Ubid and a bit to quite a bit more threw Amazon depending on which model and the going rate of bidding at Ubid.
    ===========>
    Im speaking of the Emerald and Pacific lines in particular. **Wharfedale** certainly dosn't get allot of bandwidth hear at HTF and maybe these few threads will draw some intrest to the Britt brand. I don't hesitate for a second to recommend a listen or even a possible blind buy with the blind buyer at least asking some basic questions here or somewhere at least, to make sure the equipment being used and the type sound he/she looks for in a speaker might fit the Wharfs. This would certainly be in their best intrest and of course this should go un-said when looking to flop down your very hard earned cash for anything A/V.
    Yes it's the HTF ~ Paul, Angelo, & Geoff Wharfedale question answer line. [​IMG]
    Ok, enoughs enough ~ allright allready
    Happy listening
    Geoff

17. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Paul,
    The 99's where a limited run if I remember correctly...?
    It seems a while back I came across a read about this. I wish I could remember where this was. They were larger and this may have something to do why we/I haven't seen them anywhere. (Trasport costs) ~ Might have been a weight problem due to there size.. This would not surprie me. It's unfortunate that my mind slips me where I came across this info. It was months before I was looking for information regarding the Emeald MKII's when THE DEAL presented itself.
    They maybe available on the other side of the water possibley????
    Have you tried much to locate information on these or possibly a direct call to IAG?
    A converted Emerald Beliver.
    Geoff
    PS. A million things have come up this week and im not going to be able to get to the big city to pickup the mags. [​IMG]
    Im considering just call them and buying the 2 issues in question (probley will start another subscription also errrggg) and have them mailed to me for referance (after a in depth read)...
    1)- Do you feel they got some page space and a fair showing, you know what I mean!?? I won't go their....
    2)- Might you have a Phone # handy for:
    A-Sound & Stereophile HT ???
    If not, will have to take my lazy butt to their sites and order. [​IMG]
    Thanks much
    Geoff

18. Paul Clarke

Hi Geoff,

The reprint # for Stereophile GTHT is 866 298-9883. If you want to subscribe I can mail you one of the inserts---$14.97 a yr. Feb has the great Pacific photo layout. I warn you---you're gonna drool.

The fax # for reprints ($7+$5 S/H) at The Absolute Sound (which always run 3-4 months behind real calendar) is 512 439-6962. The regular # 888 732-1625 is for Subscriptions, etc. I don't remember if there was a discount insert---reg. $42/6 issues. You want the Feb/Mar issue with the two Wharfedale reviews.

I haven't looked for the 99's that hard. When the speakers came I saw them listed in the manual. After the Emerald 'experience' took hold I thought 'You know, these 97's just aren't tall enough for me.' Yeah right. Call it what it is: upgrade-itis...a pathetic condition known to turn a grown man into a babbling child in nanoseconds.

Paul

19. Brian Johnson

Well. I might as well jump back into this thread [​IMG]
    I went around looking at speakers, about all I checked was the pardigm monitor 7 and the klipsch rc-3 ii. Hated the paradigm & I don't see why they are so praised. Very tinty & unnatural sounding and he was running it on a $2000 receiver.
    So I went to the klipsch store, was blown away at the rc3's and he was running my receiver(denon avr1602) but at the $750 price tag I walked away empty handed. So, for right now I am and will remain without "NEW" speakers (I have some old pioneer floor standers that my GF absoulutely loves) and I am looking to buy a boat before spring hits. So unless UBID comes up with some more emerald 97's in oak I am beating the upgraditis bug and keeping the money in my wallet.

20. Paul Clarke

Good for you, Brian. At least you got out to do some auditioning. I agree with you on the Paradigm Monitor sound but I wouldn't be quite that harsh. It's their implementation of the titanium dome tweeters IMO that give the 'tinny' sound to some ears. The Reference series with the aluminum domes are far superior to my ears but then they generally cost a lot more.

I agree with you totally on the Klipsch. You either like the horn or you don't. I likeeee. They use a titanium dome as well but you can HEAR the difference. You might want to keep checking Ebay as well as there are Emeralds on there fairly regularly though not quite as inexpensive as Ubid.

What model Pioneers, by the way? I still have some of my old ones in the attic.