Wharfedale Diamonds for a 6.1 setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryan_d, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Bryan_d

Bryan_d Extra

My original intent was to buy two sets of Diamond 8.3s for the left and right of the mains and surrounds and then I was going to add in a pair of Diamond 8.2s for the centers front and rear. That is until I read that the 8.2s are not video shielded so could not be used ontop of the tv. First of all does this concept even work. The 8.3 is merely the 8.2 in a larger cabinet with better base reaponse so all the speakers would almost match all the way around. If what I read is true, can one use Diamond centers for both the front and rear? In this system or any, because at this price point it is hard to find an all around matching setup that are not sold in pairs.

2. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

Bryan,
    Here is my suggestion for your intended setup:

Diamond Center
    8.3 for mains
    Diamond DFS dipole surrounds
    single 8.1 for the rear center

This is the setup I have and it sounds great(minus the 8.1 since I have no capability for it yet).
    I paid under $500 for this setup and am very pleased with the results.
    You could get the Diamond center for the 6th channel but you'll give up alittle low end and if you have to buy the pair of 8.1's you could always ebay it or someone on this board might be glad to buy it off you.

3. sheldon M.

sheldon M. Stunt Coordinator

I downloaded a PDF file of the Diamonds' brochure and they had a diagram of the kevlar driver and it was shielded. I'm pretty sure they are all made like that. If I'm wrong, have no fear about using the Diamond Center for the front and rear centers. It is a great sounding center. I use it with 8.3's (in a 5.1 so front center only) and the sound is seamless. It's a steal at $149. The 8.3's are also great speakers. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

4. Bryan_d

Bryan_d Extra

Thanks for the input guys. I am also wondering if you guys ever listened to the 8.4 as well and what your thoughts are. Also what subs are you working with and what are you using to drive everything. I have read that the Wharfedales can be pretty power hungry. Thanks again for the info so far.

5. Bryan_d

Bryan_d Extra

And a question for Chad. Where did you pick up that setup for only $500 thats seems awfully good.

6. sheldon M.

http://www.audioreview.com/Bookshelf...3_4290crx.aspx - http://www.audioreview.com/Main,Spea...5_1594crx.aspx
    http://www.audioreview.com/Center,Ch...6_2743crx.aspx

These are links to AudioReview review's of the 8.1,8.4,and Diamond Center.

Bryan-I power my 8.3 fronts,Diamond Center, and 8.1 rears with a Yamaha rxv793 receiver rated at 80 watts rms. I'm sure they would shine even more with more power-but they sound great anyway. My sub is a Wharfedale Powercube 8-which is kind of mediocre unfortunately.

7. Mike Brenton

Mike Brenton Extra

I got the diamonds all the way around ecept for the sub and I'm very happy with them. They have clear hi's, clean mid's and tight bass. The 8.4's I think are much fuller sounding than the 8.3's. I do think you need a little more power to drive the diamond line because of the lower sensitivity rating they have. I think thats because they have Kevlar drivers. But I have also found that they are sounding better now than when I first got then or maybe its because I like them so much. Take a set for a test drive if you can and see for yourself. For the price and quality you can't go wrong.

Mike BMy Home Theater

8. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

Bryan,
    I am running my setup with a JVC RX-8000V which has 100 watts to all channels.
    You're right about them being a little power hungry.
    I now have to increase my volume to keep the same level as my old speakers.
    I picked mine up at www.ayselectronics.com , and yes, they are an authorized dealer.
    You'll have to e-mail or call for a quote cause they don't list the Diamond line on their site.
    If you can pay the extra for the 8.4's I'd do it.
    Either way you're gonna get a bargain you'll love, IMO.

9. Bryan_d

Bryan_d Extra

Just to let you know i just finished placing my orders today. I went with 8.4s for the fronts, the diamond center, 8.3s for the rears which came with a free pair of WH-2s that i will try, but maybe 5.1 (I have the Sony sa-wm40 which i will try for now)will be enough for now. It will all be driven by the Sony STR-DA4ES which should have ample power to run the setup. Thanks again for the advice.

10. sheldon M.

Bryan-Congrats! Let us know how you like them. By the way I just saw someone selling the Center new for $124 w/free shipping on Ebay. I think they have 3 of them.