What's new

Wharfedale Diamond 8 or Klipsch Synergy (1 Viewer)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I am working on a budget for my home theater speaker system. Over the past 6 months I have upgraded just about everything but my speakers. Because of a trip to Europe I am still about 2 months away from being able to upgrade but my budget looks to be about $1,500+.

I have been researching the Wharfedale Diamond 8's and everyone seems to love them and the critics agree. The price seems to be very good as well.

Over the past few days I have been looking at the Klipsch Synergy series. These are very expensive if purchased from an authorized dealer and seem to be rated so so. However I can find Klipsch speakers for around the same price as the Wharfedales if I buy from an unauthorized dealer.

I guess it is like comparing apples to oranges. Right now I am leaning to wards the better value being the Wharfedale's. However I have always been interested in Klipsch and the horn drivers they come with.

Jeff_Garcia

Agent
Hi i have owned the klipsch SB3 monitors for about 2 months and i think they are a good value for the money. The klipsch sb3 brings the vocals out right in your face. Just pretend being in the front row of a live concert. If you like the forward sound of klipsch then u should really listen to these. One disadvantage i found out about Wharfedale Diamond 8 monitors is that their low sensitivity (due to kevlar drivers). I dont know what kind of receiver you have, so just think about that one. Klipsch SB2= 92dB, SB3 = 94dB. You can get away with a low powered receiver if u do stick with klipsch.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Thanks Jeff,

Today I went out and listened to the Synergy series and the Reference series Klipsch speakers. The salesmen was pushing the Reference series over the Synergy series. After listening to them both I tend to agree but the Reference series is much more expensive. A complete package would cost well over my current budget.

The salesman actually thought the Diamond 8 series would sound better and is a much better value over the Synergy line. The salesman was being pretty honest and they did not even carry Wharfedale but they are a very good speaker.

He did inform me that they will be dropping the Synergy line and only carry the Reference series. He was not sure but he thought they might have a closeout sale on the Synergy series.

My receiver is not the ultimate powerhouse but it is rated pretty high. I have a Panasonic HE-200S receiver. I believe it has 130 Watts x 6. I remember reading a review and it tested at 96 Watts per channel actual. This is pretty good for a 6 channel receiver. Don't let the Panasonic name fool you. It is actually a very good receiver with a strong amp section. I think it would be okay with the Wharfedale speakers. I am of coarse open for feedback. The salesmen was not familier with this receiver but pointed out that Klipsch sound much better with a warm sounding receiver.

Right now I am a few months away before I can upgrade. I am just doing my research now. If they run a closeout on the Klipsch Synergy Series and I can buy them for around the same price as the unauthorized dealer price I might jump early. But right now I am leaning to wards the Wharfedales. I can buy the complete package of Wharfedales for about $1,250 whereas the complete set of Klipsch Synergy runs about $2,250.

Chris

Jeff_Garcia

Agent
oh by the way klipsch will be offering new bookshelf speakers that will carry the reference name. just go on the klipsch website and under the news section u will see that the new monitors will be the same price as the synergies and should sound much better. Since the synergies will be discontinued, i expect the prices to really drop in a few months. Those unauthorized dealers online will match or even have lower prices than wharfdales. If you like the reference series just wait for the new models to come out. Just something for you to think about. good luck

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
I just received a set of 8.3 towers, Diamond center, and Diamonds DFS dipole surrounds for less than $500(before taxes and shipping) from www.ayselectronics.com . They are an authorized dealer also. You'll have to ask for the quote like I did because the Diamonds are not listed on their site.
Now I'm no expert at all but these speakers were a bargain for sure at the price I paid. The high end is SO silky smooth and fluid are the words I'd use to describe it.
I've only got about 48 hours of break in on them so far so I'll be waiting to hear these things loosen up soon like many have mentioned.
Happy hunting.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Pretty soon Best Buy is going to be carrying Wharfedale Diamond and Klipsch Synergy. You could hear them in the same store if you're not immediately ready to purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks