What's new

Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 versus Fluance SV-10 (1 Viewer)

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 versus Fluance SV-10 Towers

Anybody have a recommendation on which of these two speakers for front main speakers? I'm leaning toward the Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 towers (good reviews) but the Fluance speakers have the built-in 8" passive woofer in addition to the 3-way driver. Right now they are approximately the same price and I'm torn between which set to purchase.

I'm looking to build my system up and need somewhere to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris R

/long-time lurker but first time poster

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 versus Fluance SV-10 Towers

Anybody have a recommendation on which of these two speakers for front main speakers? I'm leaning toward the Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 towers (good reviews) but the Fluance speakers have the built-in 8" passive woofer in addition to the 3-way driver. Right now they are approximately the same price and I'm torn between which set to purchase.

I'm looking to build my system up and need somewhere to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris R

/long-time lurker but first time poster

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I lined up a buddy with the Fluance's you mention. I wasn't impressed, and frankly neither was he. SV10's I think?

Anyway, they work OK, but are "sizzly" without much warmth or presence, very tippy.

I like clean natural sound with a good bottom end, not dry, but these were just all over the place.

They were hooked to an HK AVR125, so it's not the amplification, and we never got too loud anyway.

Knowing now what I didn't then, I say Wharfedale...

Good luck!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I lined up a buddy with the Fluance's you mention. I wasn't impressed, and frankly neither was he. SV10's I think?

Anyway, they work OK, but are "sizzly" without much warmth or presence, very tippy.

I like clean natural sound with a good bottom end, not dry, but these were just all over the place.

They were hooked to an HK AVR125, so it's not the amplification, and we never got too loud anyway.

Knowing now what I didn't then, I say Wharfedale...

Good luck!

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
Colin-

Thanks for the info... I am also considering JBL E80s... found them for about the same price as the Wharfedales, but can't seem to find any reviews. Anybody?

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
Colin-

Thanks for the info... I am also considering JBL E80s... found them for about the same price as the Wharfedales, but can't seem to find any reviews. Anybody?

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Fluance are just white van speakers that "made the cut" somehow. I don't trust them. You want the Wharfedales, all the way.

marc_manny

Stunt Coordinator
Fluance are not white van speakers. Fluance is in no way trying to trick anyone into buying their speakers. They are not marketing their speakers as high end and then deciding to give you a good deal.

I have no idea why you (Rory) hate Fluance so much, but I own a set of the SX-HTB, and I must say they are extremely well built. They sound terrific, and I am pleased with my purchase.

But lets further the conversation and find out why you don't trust them, and why you think they are white van speakers. These are bold statements and should be backed up with examples.

Marc

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Agreed - The Fluance was well built, only one wrinkle in the vinyl in a corner, not bad at all. It's just that they take no time to match drivers or components of the crossover for values, like some other speaker companies may. So you get a working speaker that is designed well, but is compromised by extreme cost elimination.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
From some of the customer comments that I've read regarding the Wharfedale Diamond speakers is that the speakers were a bit "flat" sounding. I've never heard them, so I personally can't comment.

Just ensure you can hear them before you buy them.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I love my Fluance SV10's and have yet to find any towers at there price point that can touch them, including the Wharfdale Diamonds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks